SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

How To Remove All Movies and Start From Scratch?!?

Recently I have taken a number of steps to clean up / migrate my video share, but I'm felling like someone tied my shoe laces together.

I installed SMM, then the new version of BMT to get the fanart. After that proof of concept worked I moved from a few different shares to a single share on a unraid server, moved all the files into their own directly and renamed some of the directories.

SMM seems to work good, but when I went to look at the video imports in Sage I saw a lot of duplicates in the list like:
Bolt
Bolt.720p.mkv
Bolt.properties

After the move, I removed the old directories and added the new then did a refresh, but it didn't seem to fix much. I thought I would go back to scratch by removing the video import folder and then I did a refresh. I expected to see no movies in the list, but that wasn't the case. I still saw a lot of the duplicates and oddly named files. Going into the details I saw that some of the metadata still point to the old share, but some were pointing to the new share.

I had some luck by removing some of the .properties files and then refreshing. I thought this was odd, since Sage was still scanning the video import directories even though I removed them.

How can I get these movies out of the winz.bin or wherever they are still stuck? I would like to go back to square one and start from scratch.

Also, What should I do for naming? Does it have to be:
\\server\Bolt\Bolt.mkv
or can it be:
\\server\Bolt\Bolt.720p.Unrated.Directors.Cut.mkv

Thanks,
flips
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

When you say, "but when I went to look at the video imports in Sage I saw a lot of duplicates in the list like...", do you mean in the S7 UI, of in the BMT Web UI, or the SMM UI? Because the answer to that question depends on which UI you are talking about.

But to answer your question, from a pure sagetv perspective. When you remove a video source, and then tell sagetv to "Refresh", then it cleans up the Wiz.bin. It may take a couple of minutes, but S7 UI shows the Hard Drive icon when it is scanning media, so once that icon is gone, then the Wiz.bin should be cleaned up, and the files should not show up in the sagetv ui.

As for filenaming, You'll get more accurate hits if you remove all extra information from the filename name. So, Bolt.mkv is ok, Bolt (2009).mkv is even better. Bolt.720p.Directors.Cut.mkv may work if "Bolt Directors Cut" return a good match. (i suspect it would fail). But, something like "Bolt (2009) Directors Cut 720p.avi" would probably work. Usually the scrapers look for TITLE (YEAR) pattern in the filename and if it finds it, then it will use everything in front of the (YEAR) as the Tittle, pull out the Year and ignore everything else. But without the (YEAR), it will take everything in the filename as being the Title, including the 720p. While I do strip out 720p, I don't strip out other works suck as Directors Cut, so the search title becomes Bolt Directors Cut.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

There are two places where this shows up. Either in the S7 videos menu under folders, titles, DVDs, etc.. Or in BMT in the Sage Video Imports (combined) section. In BMT in Sage Video Imports where you get a folder view It says that I don't have any media directories or something, so it is completely blank.

You description of the sage import is thought it was supposed to work. But that's not at all what I am seeing here.

After removal of all import folders I am still seeing about 180 files from the new and the old server. I have had a little luck when I re-added the folder, wait for a scan to finish, then remove the folder and wait for the scan to finish vs. making all the changes at once.

The best method seems to be deleting each file after I rename the import folder so it doesn't actually delete the file. I will get an error, but after a while the listing will disappear. A bit pailful, but this seems to be about my only option.

I know this is the wrong section, but there isn't anything in SMM that would be keeping these files in even though the import directly isn't listed, is there?

flips
Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Based on your actions, it does seem like that it is a SageTV issue... especially if you are seeing them show up in the Sage7 UI. You might want to submit an issue, but first disable/remove all plugins, and test again, just to make sure that bmt or smm isn't the culprit.

I don't know much about smm, but my understanding is that it has its own database. So, I could see SMM still "thinking" they are there, but according to your comments, you are saying that you are seeing this in the Sage7 UI and not the SMM UI.

Like I said, to be sure, you should remove SMM and BMT (maybe one at a time) and then try to reproduce the issue. BMT doesn't have it's own database, so you should see in BMT the same thing that you'd see in the Sage7 UI. ie, BMT reads the Sage7 database for any information that it shows.

The Sage Video Imports view is a view that shows all your video import directories. If you have it empty, then it's probably because you have removed all your video imports. The Combined view is similar but it combines folders of the same name from different video import directories.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

Lately I have been seeing xxxxxxx.properties files showing up in the Default Video screen as well, just haven't had a lot of time to investigate.

I thought it was Sagetv picking up up the .properties files as videos as they don't show in SMM as dulpicates for me. The only thing I have tried so far is turning of the generation of .properties files by MyMovies Collection manager in the options metadate area in Collection Manager.

I don't think BMT will look for metadata/fanart unless Sagetv has already added to the video to the library (???) so it looks like more of a Sagetv error picking up the .properties files as videos for whatever reason.

Seems odd that Sagetv would see them as videos, I have been deleting the properties files as they show up in the Video listing.

Plucky will remind me, "why am you using the default Videos when you have SMM" ;o)

Not a lot of help but I think the same problem.

J

Last edited by jorton; 11-18-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have seen this as well, MovieName.XXX.properties files being added to the SageTV videos directory. If I delete the file (outside of Sage), let Sage scan the directory, then recreate the file with BMT it doesn't come back.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Based on your actions, it does seem like that it is a SageTV issue... especially if you are seeing them show up in the Sage7 UI. You might want to submit an issue, but first disable/remove all plugins, and test again, just to make sure that bmt or smm isn't the culprit.

I don't know much about smm, but my understanding is that it has its own database. So, I could see SMM still "thinking" they are there, but according to your comments, you are saying that you are seeing this in the Sage7 UI and not the SMM UI.

Like I said, to be sure, you should remove SMM and BMT (maybe one at a time) and then try to reproduce the issue. BMT doesn't have it's own database, so you should see in BMT the same thing that you'd see in the Sage7 UI. ie, BMT reads the Sage7 database for any information that it shows.

The Sage Video Imports view is a view that shows all your video import directories. If you have it empty, then it's probably because you have removed all your video imports. The Combined view is similar but it combines folders of the same name from different video import directories.
I will try that. I've already disabled SMM during the latest round of troubleshooting, I will try to uninstall everything and give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
I have been seeing xxxxxxx.properties files showing up in the Default Video screen as well as videos lately, just haven't had a lot of time to investigate.

I thought it was Sagetv picking up up the .properties files as videos as they don't show in SMM as dulpicates for me. The only thing I have tried so far is turning of the generation of .properties files by MyMovies Collection manager in the options metadate area in Collection Manager.

I don't think BMT will look for metadata/fanart unless Sagetv has already added to the video to the library (???) so it looks like more of a Sagetv error picking up the .properties files as videos for whatever reason.

Seems odd that Sagetv would see them as videos, I have been deleting the properties files as they show up in the Video listing.

Plucky will remind me, "why am you using the default Videos when you have SMM" ;o)

Not a lot of help but I think the same problem.

J
Interesting... I found about that setting in MyMovies the other day, but mine wasn't checked. It's not supposed to be, right? BMT creates .properties files so Sage will pull the information into the Wiz.bin file, I think.

Plucky can say what he will, but not all my videos are movies, so I like to go in to folder view to watch other types of videos...

Also, I noticed that some of the file names in the metadata were a bit off, like \\server\Bolt\Bolt.mkv.Bolt Or something like that where the file name was a bit garbled.

In the BMT web interface, after I click on the gear in the corner I get a drop down of different types of metadata. Can someone explain the differences? I recognize some, BMT, Properties, wiz.bin, but then there are stuff like GWT or something...

Thanks,
flips
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
BMT creates .properties files so Sage will pull the information into the Wiz.bin file, I think.
BMT doesn't actually create any properties, but they may be generated as a side of effect of using bmt SageTV writes and creates the properties when bmt updates metadata, if the sage property, update_external_properties_files_on_metadata_changes, is turned on. You can modify this property from the bmt web ui under, Configure -> SageTV -> Metadata Settings

Quote:
In the BMT web interface, after I click on the gear in the corner I get a drop down of different types of metadata. Can someone explain the differences? I recognize some, BMT, Properties, wiz.bin, but then there are stuff like GWT or something...
Don't worry too much about that.. that's a debug panel that i use in my testing... it has no real value to most end users.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I found a common thread, which I think it the root of the issue.

I removed ALL my plugins and re-imported / un imported, and didn't really see much of a change. What I did find is that all the movies that won't remove had the messed up directory like I mentioned earlier.

When I would hit delete in the sage UI I would get the pop up that said:
Are you sure you want to delete:
\\server\Videos\Movies\BoltBolt.720p.mkv
On a file that will remove itself during a library refresh would show the file name as:
Movies/Bolt/Bolt.720p

The true filename is: \\server\Videos\Movies\Bolt\Bolt.720p.mkv

I think somewhere along the way, a slash was missed between the directory and the file in the metadata. Also, note that Sage won't show the full path if it is a good file.

The interesting thing is that if I say yes to delete the file with the messed up name Sage does delete the file (or plays the file for that matter), even if that directory isn't one of the imported folders.

I will write this up and submit to Sage to see if it might be a bug. Not sure where the bad metadata wouldn't have come from in the first place though...
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Sage Expert

Flips - Did you submit to Sage? Have you received a response? I think I am experiencing the same issue.

I completely removed all video import folders from within Sage and moved the actual video folders so Sage couldn't find them anymore. Finally, Sage recognized that there were no video import folders. As soon as I started adding things back in, the separate .properties files started showing up again.
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah I meant to follow up on this... Sage got back within day or so as usual. They're great btw..

Code:
One of the developers said it sounds like you might have used some plugin
awhile back that manually added many of those to the database which is
preventing SageTV from automatically removing them since they weren't added
as part of the 'normal' import process.

If they all don't actually exist anymore (or you can just be sure that
network share is offline when you do this); then you can just use the
'separate' view (in the Options in the video browser) in the video browser
and then just select that folder (using folder view) and delete the entire
folder from within SageTV. That'll remove them all from the DB.
His tip about separate vs. combined was a good tip, but it actually caused all the duplicates to disappear which was interesting.

I removed the setting about updating properties in BMT. Did you do that? After I deleted all the imports and reimported everything came pretty good.

I did see one issue where a handful of TV episodes came in incorrectly. For example in recordings I had the two show titles with just a couple of shows in the second title:
It's always sunny in philadelphia
TV/Its.always.sunny.in.philadelphia

What I notieced was that this happened with those which I had two files of the same episodes i.e. one in HD and one in SD.

Stuckless, is that a bug? Not sure how that should be handled, but could probably be done differently than that. Let me know if you want logs.

Thanks for all the help.
flips
Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
I did see one issue where a handful of TV episodes came in incorrectly. For example in recordings I had the two show titles with just a couple of shows in the second title:
It's always sunny in philadelphia
TV/Its.always.sunny.in.philadelphia

What I notieced was that this happened with those which I had two files of the same episodes i.e. one in HD and one in SD.

Stuckless, is that a bug? Not sure how that should be handled, but could probably be done differently than that. Let me know if you want logs.
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Did the shows have any metadata/fanart? If not, then it's just likely that bmt coudn't fetch the metadata.