SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

The locator server cound not connect the IP address

New install of Sage 7 on Windows 7
All worked well, port 31099 worked, and "testing the Placeshifter" worked out of the box the first time.

Then - I changed cable modems. At which point my cable company assigned a new IP address.

Now, I get the dreaded "the locator server could not connect the IP address registered for this locator ID".

My Sage server uses a dedicated IP, which is programmed in my router along with port 31099 being forwarded.

Firewall is turned OFF for testing purposes.

I can connect through my LAN network fine with Placeshifter.

Does this have something to do with the Sage servers - aka it will be 24 hours until they reset and recognize my cable company's NEW ip address?

if not, any suggestions, as I am out of things I have tried myself
Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

You're not required to use the locator ID. If you know your router's WAN IP, you can use that directly in your Placeshifter connection settings. Or use DynDNS or something similar to assign a domain name to your router.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
You're not required to use the locator ID. If you know your router's WAN IP, you can use that directly in your Placeshifter connection settings. Or use DynDNS or something similar to assign a domain name to your router.
I actually have DynDNS set up - it's just that I feel better when things "work", and the Placeshifter "test" was working before my cable company changed my IP address.

I also have used the "new" WAN IP and it seems to be working, but since I'm not at a Starbucks, I can't be sure the connection is working remotely, and that's my goal - remote connection from afar.

It's a warm-fuzzy thing that makes me feel the software is doing what it was designed to do.

Is it possible the Sage servers just have to wait to see the new WAN IP?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage doesn't care what the WAN IP is. It is your router that knows what the WAN IP is and forwards it to your Sage server. You could always delete the locator ID from the .properties file on the server and have Sage regenerate the ID. But from the outside Placeshifter just needs the your WAN IP and your router will forward it to your Sage server if you have forwarding set up correctly.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Sage doesn't care what the WAN IP is. It is your router that knows what the WAN IP is and forwards it to your Sage server. You could always delete the locator ID from the .properties file on the server and have Sage regenerate the ID. But from the outside Placeshifter just needs the your WAN IP and your router will forward it to your Sage server if you have forwarding set up correctly.

Gerry
funny you should say that - I deleted the locator I.D. from properties, but left the locator i.d. "line" in place, empty. I also deleted the forward from my router and then re-inserted it. Sage regenerated what appears to be the exactly same ID number as before.
I went to Starbucks (the place is good for something, after all) to test DYNdns, and it connected fine with the new cable company IP address.
So, the failed connection would appear to be between my router and Sage's servers.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

So either the forwarding is not correct or all the ports that need to be open are not. If you want the server to register its Locator ID, then port 8018 needs to be opened to allow that connection. (I don't know if your firewall is still off.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
So either the forwarding is not correct or all the ports that need to be open are not. If you want the server to register its Locator ID, then port 8018 needs to be opened to allow that connection. (I don't know if your firewall is still off.)

Gerry
strange thing is, all the settings for the server, port numbers, static IP address of my Sage server are all un-changed from when the locator worked. The firewall is indeed off, but I am not sure about port 8018 - if you know how to do that I'd appreciate your advice.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Sage Icon

You might try the Locator HTTP Redirect Service
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Oddly enough, this just happened to me. I can connect directly over the internet using dyndns.org, but my locator ID no longer functions as a means to find the server using placeshifter. Everything was fine and then one day last week it stopped working.

Placeshifter says that it "found the server", but when I try to connect, i get the typical error message saying that it could not connect to the server. Using direct host name/ip address works fine.

Update: I ended up doing a complete reinstall saving only my wiz.bin and everything is back to normal.

Last edited by simonen; 03-09-2011 at 05:37 AM.