SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Watching my HD300 remotely!

I am watching tv with my HD300 from one house to my server in another. The picture quality is fair at best but my big problem is the picture and audio freeze every 3 seconds and then continues. These small pauses make it impossible to watch. Any ideas how I can optimize settings? I contact comcast to see if I can bump up my upload speed from the place with the server. It is limited to 2 Mb and it is SLOOOOW.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

This was moved to Media Extender but I believe the issue is optimizing the server for placeshifting? I am using the transcoder. I do not believe it is a CPU issue. I have stopped everything on the server and the server is a dual quad core xeon so it has a lot of horsepower! Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't think the transcoder can stream efficiently enough. I was able to watch my HD200 via the slingbox and it was very watchable....

I don't know if there are tweak settings to optimize but it's getting hammered with my upload cap!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

There isn't much tweaking to be done. Placeshifter software has some ability to fix the bitrate, but that is not available in the extenders in placeshifting mode. Instead, it sets the bitrate based on the buffer status of the placeshifter/extender. (buffer empty, lower setting; buffer full, raise setting). That said, 2Mb should be more than enough for smooth stable playback. Are you using SageTV7? if not, is this content interlaced H.264? ffmpeg had a problem handling interlaced H.264, but that has been fixed in the current builds shipped with v7. Aside from that, the only other thing would be your processor in the server just isn't up to the task. Of course, you'd have to be able to see the CPU loading while streaming to see.

Also, realize that even being a dual-quad xeon doesn't really help, as ffmpeg is single threaded, so it will only use one of those cores. You would probably be better off with a high clock speed modern dual core in this case.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am running v7 and it runs very very poorly. I was streaming from my HD PVR but even my videos which are VOB abd MPG's aren't streaming well!

Edit: CPU was 13% at the time of streaming. I didn't seem to see a problem with the processor...

Last edited by heffneil; 12-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM
SageTVaholic

well, of your 8 cores, a single core being saturated WOULD be 12.5% cpu usage.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
I am watching tv with my HD300 from one house to my server in another. The picture quality is fair at best but my big problem is the picture and audio freeze every 3 seconds and then continues. These small pauses make it impossible to watch. Any ideas how I can optimize settings? I contact comcast to see if I can bump up my upload speed from the place with the server. It is limited to 2 Mb and it is SLOOOOW.
I have the same problem but it seems that watching live tv the picture is fair but does not seem to stop every couple of seconds. The recorded video has the problem with the freezing and stopping making it hard to watch. I do not know if there is a difference between the two but on my local network everything works fine but over the internet there are problems with the hd300 watching recorded shows but the live tv works well.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I was streaming from my HD PVR
to get hdpvr transcoding to work properly for my remote hd100 i had to set the following in sage.properties
Code:
xcode_fix_broken_hdpvr_streams=true
of course my problem was an a/v sync problem but it still might be worth a try... there was some (very) slight studdering too iirc... after setting that property item transcodes from the hdpvr are just peachy. Note, though, that i never had a problem with placeshifting 1080i or 720p mpgs from the HDHR, or 720p h264 mkvs
Check out TVExplorer
Old 12-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Another Sunday and another lousy day of picture quality! My problem isn't just HD PVR but movies I have ripped as well. I did watch an non hd channel on my cable tv provider via the HD HomeRun source on sagetv and that ran beautifully. Not a lot of moving picture and what not. Still pretty bummed this is working so poorly!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

My only quality problems right now is that the tv keeps saying the chargers season is over... I think I need to file a bug report..

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

At least you aren't a Steelers fan!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Another Sunday and another lousy day of picture quality! My problem isn't just HD PVR but movies I have ripped as well. I did watch an non hd channel on my cable tv provider via the HD HomeRun source on sagetv and that ran beautifully. Not a lot of moving picture and what not. Still pretty bummed this is working so poorly!
Have you looked into the CPU issue yet? Do you have a faster core somewhere in your house you could use to install a trial sage install on, and see if those imports/recordings stream better?

Old 12-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am away and remote right now hence the need!

But I have a i5 at home that is probably faster. By the time I get home I wont' need it for another 11 months at least for as long as I can see and I can use the slingbox with the HD200 at home which is what I did for the second half of the game...

I wish I could get more bandwidth from comcast. I tried placeshifting from a laptop locally and it worked without incident?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm not exactly sure of your setup but have you considered connecting your HD300 to your Slingbox? I can't stream HD using Placeshifter worth a darn (stuttering every 3 seconds like you mention) but can stream beautifully HD via the Slingbox and HD300. My stuttering is NOT a bandwidth problem either because on the Slingbox I'm getting ~4500kbps at a remote location... I don't have a super computer as my server.

Anyway, if you don't have it already, might want to try connecting your Slingbox to your HD300 instead of your cablebox
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yeah I am using a spare HD200 with the slingbox. It just difficult to watch because it isn't on a TV. My quality on the slingbox is pretty poor even though it is HD compatible...

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I also get pretty bad(well not what I believe I should be getting) quality when using an hd300 in place shift mode. I believe this to be related to transcoder settings sage is using. I have 10mbps up on the server side and plenty enough CPU horsepower. On the client side location I have a 30 Mbps down into my hd300. So the quality is not related to network speeds or CPU power. If I remove sage completely out of the equation I can successfully transcode and stream 720p mkv to my iPad and use airplay to send it to my apple tv delivering great quality HQ hd video. Or I can also use my sling box hd to deliver pretty good hd quality as well. Therefore I have to conclude it's something within sage thats giving us the poor quality. Tech support doesn't seem to help so much with this either, which is unfortunate. If the quality was better there wouldn't be a need for my sling box and I can just bring my hd 300 everywhere.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

I had a buddy try air video from my server and it ran pretty darn good. I would go on to say better than the slingbox but he was in the local comcast area. I don't get great quality from my slingbox but at least it is viewable. I agree there is a problem with the sage transcoder and it isn't optimized. It is a real shame and I agree that we will probably never get to the bottom of it. Any other products run server with decent transcoding? Does WMC do decent remote transcoding?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
I also get pretty bad(well not what I believe I should be getting) quality when using an hd300 in place shift mode. I believe this to be related to transcoder settings sage is using. I have 10mbps up on the server side and plenty enough CPU horsepower. On the client side location I have a 30 Mbps down into my hd300. So the quality is not related to network speeds or CPU power. If I remove sage completely out of the equation I can successfully transcode and stream 720p mkv to my iPad and use airplay to send it to my apple tv delivering great quality HQ hd video. Or I can also use my sling box hd to deliver pretty good hd quality as well. Therefore I have to conclude it's something within sage thats giving us the poor quality. Tech support doesn't seem to help so much with this either, which is unfortunate. If the quality was better there wouldn't be a need for my sling box and I can just bring my hd 300 everywhere.
What kind of internet service do you have that gives you 10Mb up?

Anyway. I don't think you'll see 720p resolution from the extender used as a placeshifter. Since there aren't the quality and resolution options available like the regular Placeshifter I'm sure it's using a fairly low fixed resolution no matter the amount of bandwidth. You'll need to make a request directly to SageTV to make the extender's placeshifter options more configurable.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
What kind of internet service do you have that gives you 10Mb up?

Anyway. I don't think you'll see 720p resolution from the extender used as a placeshifter. Since there aren't the quality and resolution options available like the regular Placeshifter I'm sure it's using a fairly low fixed resolution no matter the amount of bandwidth. You'll need to make a request directly to SageTV to make the extender's placeshifter options more configurable.

In my area comcast offers a 50mb/10mb package (real world is actually about 60mb down and 9.82mb up on avg). Yes I do believe that once the process occurs that determines transcoding needs to take place it's forcing a low quality resolution. There's actually a parameter in the sage.properties file that specifies min bandwidth before transcoding needs to happen. I'm not confident it's being honored though . I've already requested the ability to adjust transcoding quality for an extender in place shift mode bout a month ago. I wouldn't hold your breath though.( I hope I'm wrong).

Last edited by Gustovier; 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath though.( I hope I'm wrong).
What makes you say that? I have no experience in sage every NOT eventually implementing requested features, especially relatively minor ones like this (the setting ARE there in the placeshifter protocol, as it works with the software version).