SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Sage User

Studio Java class Question

I have a customer class that I call from inside an STV. I had this working fine in v6 but now that I have upgraded to v7 I can't get it to work. What is the best way to debug some java code that is called within Sage? I know I used to know this when I originally created the class but that was over 2 years ago and I haven't had to touch it since it just worked.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvic View Post
I have a customer class that I call from inside an STV. I had this working fine in v6 but now that I have upgraded to v7 I can't get it to work. What is the best way to debug some java code that is called within Sage? I know I used to know this when I originally created the class but that was over 2 years ago and I haven't had to touch it since it just worked.

Thanks,
Eric
If you turn on debug logging, then the sagetv_0.txt file may contain some output (exceptions, etc). Also, if you are not using your own loggers, then you can output informatin to the sagetv_0.txt using System.out.println("You message"); from inside the java code.

You'll need to restart sagetv each time our rebuild your java classes.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have a customer class that I call from inside an STV. I had this working fine in v6 but now that I have upgraded to v7 I can't get it to work.
Dumb question, but did you update the STV properly? If the code worked under v6 it should work under v7. Maybe when you updated the v7 STV you did something slightly wrong (like a small spelling mistake.) v7 also uses an updated JRE so maybe there is an incompatibility with the newer JRE?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you turn on debug logging, then the sagetv_0.txt file may contain some output (exceptions, etc). Also, if you are not using your own loggers, then you can output informatin to the sagetv_0.txt using System.out.println("You message"); from inside the java code.

You'll need to restart sagetv each time our rebuild your java classes.
I was hoping to be able to debug the class within eclipse but I guess I can get by with using System.out.println().
Old 12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Dumb question, but did you update the STV properly? If the code worked under v6 it should work under v7. Maybe when you updated the v7 STV you did something slightly wrong (like a small spelling mistake.) v7 also uses an updated JRE so maybe there is an incompatibility with the newer JRE?
I did have some syntax errors in the STV at first but I think have have gotten all of them. It is probably something stupid I am missing, I will just have to dig harder.

Thanks for the info.

Eric
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was hoping to be able to debug the class within eclipse but I guess I can get by with using System.out.println().
If you use my sagex-apis, which a wrapper for the SageTV apis, then you can run and debug the code from inside eclipse, which is how I develop. But, it might be faster, for now, to simply use system.out than to convert your class over to use my apis.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Sage User

I figured out my problem. I forgot to put quotes around the name of the context in my AddGlobalContext() command, now it is working correctly again.