SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 AM
Sage User

RECORDING ISSUES

Everything worked fine with Vista but now that ive upgraded to windows 7 im having recording issues. My drivers and codecs all seem to be up to date, latest catalyst control center, directx, ect. When i watch a show that im recording in Sagetv the picture is fine but when i try to watch it later on the hard drive the video has issues with pausing and glitching. Ive tried adjusting the video settings but cant solve the problem. Can anyone help?

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32 BIT
ATI RADEON HD 4200
EXTERNAL HD 64 BIT CLUSTER SIZE
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntfighter View Post
Everything worked fine with Vista but now that ive upgraded to windows 7 im having recording issues. My drivers and codecs all seem to be up to date, latest catalyst control center, directx, ect. When i watch a show that im recording in Sagetv the picture is fine but when i try to watch it later on the hard drive the video has issues with pausing and glitching. Ive tried adjusting the video settings but cant solve the problem. Can anyone help?

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32 BIT
ATI RADEON HD 4200
EXTERNAL HD 64 BIT CLUSTER SIZE
More information is needed. What type of system do you have. CPU. Memory? Wireless? What is the file format? Mpeg2, h.264, etc.

How is your playback of previously recorded files compare to playback of files recorded after the Windows 7 change? Are you using an extender? What type of extender? You could try downloading files or ripping a DVD to isolate the playback problem from your capture cards.

I installed Vista Ultimate on a i-7 950 quad-core 3.06 gig computer with 3 gig of RAM to test it. I found Vista was very slow and ran about 1/4 to 1/5 the speed of XP Pro on the same computer. So far, I've found Windows 7 is a bit faster or the same as XP Pro. I was shocked at how much of a performance 'dog' the Vista operating system was compared to Windows XP.

Windows 7 can be sped up quite a bit if you make a change to the display settings. Go to 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'Small Icons', 'Performance Information and Tools', 'Adjust Visual Effects', 'Adjust for Best Performance'.

After making that change, I found Windows 7 64-bit ran drastically faster on a dual-core 3 gig with 2 gigs RAM . I haven't changed my SageTV system from XP to Windows 7 yet. Anyone using Windows 7 for SageTV should try making the change to see if it improves performance of the SageTV application. Maybe if the computer had a high-end graphics card, I might not have noticed the difference. I am not a gamer, so I have a cheaper graphics card on the dual-core 3 gig general purpose computer, which was my first computer to change from XP Pro to Windows 7.

Dave
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Sage User

When you watch it while you're recording it, are you using the "watch live TV" option in SageTV or just watching the show. It's my understanding that SageTV's default behavior is to record everything to the hard drive unless you specifically select "watch live TV". If that's the case, then what you're watching while you're recording should be no different from what you watch after it's done recording.

Are you running antivirus software? Does the problem persist if you disable it?

I'm running the same video card as you. I don't get any glitching or pronounced jerkiness, but I'm well on my way to the conclusion that the Radeon HD 4200 does not do 1080i without some motion artifact. It's especially noticeable on football games during panning shots. ...but it doesn't seem to be as bad as what you're describing.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

Actually Sage always records and you watch the recording. There's no way to watch without the hard drive being involved.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Sage User

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
More information is needed. What type of system do you have. CPU. Memory? Wireless? What is the file format? Mpeg2, h.264, etc.

How is your playback of previously recorded files compare to playback of files recorded after the Windows 7 change? Are you using an extender? What type of extender? You could try downloading files or ripping a DVD to isolate the playback problem from your capture cards.

I installed Vista Ultimate on a i-7 950 quad-core 3.06 gig computer with 3 gig of RAM to test it. I found Vista was very slow and ran about 1/4 to 1/5 the speed of XP Pro on the same computer. So far, I've found Windows 7 is a bit faster or the same as XP Pro. I was shocked at how much of a performance 'dog' the Vista operating system was compared to Windows XP.

Windows 7 can be sped up quite a bit if you make a change to the display settings. Go to 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'Small Icons', 'Performance Information and Tools', 'Adjust Visual Effects', 'Adjust for Best Performance'.

After making that change, I found Windows 7 64-bit ran drastically faster on a dual-core 3 gig with 2 gigs RAM . I haven't changed my SageTV system from XP to Windows 7 yet. Anyone using Windows 7 for SageTV should try making the change to see if it improves performance of the SageTV application. Maybe if the computer had a high-end graphics card, I might not have noticed the difference. I am not a gamer, so I have a cheaper graphics card on the dual-core 3 gig general purpose computer, which was my first computer to change from XP Pro to Windows 7.

Dave
Dual Core 2.6 GHz
3GB Ram
File Format: Usually just record sports. Trying all formats.
Previously recordings in Vista were great.
no extender
windows 7 is much faster than vista. No other problems other than this.
will try adjust for best performance suggestion.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage User

CURRENT SETUP:

VRM9
FFDSHOW
DIRECT SHOW
3D ACCELERATION: ENABLED
Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Sage User

"adjust for best performance" and turning ESET off didnt fix problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Sage Expert

What is your capture device and source?
How does the video play back if you use Windows Media Player?
Is the external hard drive USB, Firewire, eSATA?
What happens if you take the external drive out of the loop and record to an internal drive?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
What is your capture device and source?
How does the video play back if you use Windows Media Player?
Is the external hard drive USB, Firewire, eSATA?
What happens if you take the external drive out of the loop and record to an internal drive?
OTA, HD HOMERUN
SAME AS ZOOM PLAYER... GLITCHY, PAUSES, UNWATCHABLE
IOMEGA... NOT SURE ON THIS ONE
HAVENT TRIED THIS

I think i can watch all recordings through Sagetv by just going back in the program guide and hitting watch now. Recordings seem to play well this way.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntfighter View Post
OTA, HD HOMERUN
SAME AS ZOOM PLAYER... GLITCHY, PAUSES, UNWATCHABLE
IOMEGA... NOT SURE ON THIS ONE
HAVENT TRIED THIS

I think i can watch all recordings through Sagetv by just going back in the program guide and hitting watch now. Recordings seem to play well this way.
Strange. Going to the guide and hitting watch now shouldn't be playing back any differently than going to TV and playing back the file.

As for the drive, if it's an IOmega it's probably USB. Try recording to a local drive and see what happens. My money is on the external drive being the problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Strange. Going to the guide and hitting watch now shouldn't be playing back any differently than going to TV and playing back the file.

As for the drive, if it's an IOmega it's probably USB. Try recording to a local drive and see what happens. My money is on the external drive being the problem.
I feel dumb... hadnt even discovered that option yet. ill try switching drives as that does make since and my recording quality still is a little glitchy when watching in sage.