SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question Placeshifter: Jumping Forward Actually Jumps Back

So I'm testing out the placeshifter and most everything seems to be working fine (running on my LAN, not WAN). I am however, seeing a problem when I try to skip forward. If I click the mouse forward on the time bar I see the current position jump to the correct position but a second later it jumps backwards. If I jump near the beginning of the program it doesnt jump back that much (about 10 seconds) but if I jump to the end of the program it skips back about 5 minutes on a 1 hour show...strange.

Looking for suggestions.
Client Hardware: HD200 x2, INT-422-3 & WR7 Remote
Service Provider: Cablevision (QAM to 2250, SamsungBox to HDPVR)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I found this problem on my HD300 when playing music using a remote control. I think a programmer put the wrong code in the wrong slot. I sent' in a trouble ticket on it, but it would be helpful if you'd do the same and let them know people are bugged by it. I was able to skip to the next song by opening the options dialog and selecting next song there. A temporary solution for you would be if you could remap the command from skip forward 2 to skip forward 1 or vice verse. I've never really used Sage with a mouse so I'm not sure you can do that.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Sage Expert

What is the source material? If it is an HDPVR recording this is a known issue and has to do with the way the back end processes the video. Sage has said they may take a look at this in the future but have made no promises. The solution is to enable transcoding (should be disabled by default for a lan connection) or to use Sage Client. I can confirm that when using Placeshifter with transcoding on a LAN link, skipping forward/backward does work on all HDPVR recordings.

Of course if your source is not an HDPVR recording some further investigation is in order
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
What is the source material? If it is an HDPVR recording this is a known issue and has to do with the way the back end processes the video. Sage has said they may take a look at this in the future but have made no promises. The solution is to enable transcoding (should be disabled by default for a lan connection) or to use Sage Client. I can confirm that when using Placeshifter with transcoding on a LAN link, skipping forward/backward does work on all HDPVR recordings.

Of course if your source is not an HDPVR recording some further investigation is in order
You're correct about it being HDPVR recordings - my qam recordings work fine.

Where do you enable transcoding? Is this something that's done in the placeshifter configuration?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Sage Expert

I fake it. I have a dynamic dns redirector set up that I use externally so I just point it to that URL, even when I'm internal, and it will "think" it's coming from outside and transcode. If you don't want to set something like that up you can click on settings before you connect, then the streaming tab, and select the manually specifiy option then tinker with the settings to get a good result.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I fake it. I have a dynamic dns redirector set up that I use externally so I just point it to that URL, even when I'm internal, and it will "think" it's coming from outside and transcode. If you don't want to set something like that up you can click on settings before you connect, then the streaming tab, and select the manually specifiy option then tinker with the settings to get a good result.
Tried forcing the streaming settings but the results were terrible as far as the picture quality goes (very jumpy). Didn't even test the jump fwd. My MOBO is pretty old and I don't think it has enough juice to transcode for the placeshifter. My HD200s, however, work fine. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the server.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage Expert

May be if you are still running a 3GHz P4. You could probably cut your energy consumption at the same time. The last gen P4s (Prescotts?) were power hungry, heat generating beasts!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
May be if you are still running a 3GHz P4. You could probably cut your energy consumption at the same time. The last gen P4s (Prescotts?) were power hungry, heat generating beasts!
Yea...it's time. I just need to find a quad core package that will let me run the server, client, placeshifter, and comskip at a reasonable price. I seem to remember a thread a while back discussing this - I'll have to search for it.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I just submitted a bug report for this issue as well. Now that I'm recording more and more tv shows it's finally become an issue (mainly for my kids watching stuff on their laptops).

It appears this only happens with HDPVR recordings and it makes trying to skip forward/backward using the placeshifter, next to impossible
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I just submitted a bug report for this issue as well. Now that I'm recording more and more tv shows it's finally become an issue (mainly for my kids watching stuff on their laptops).

It appears this only happens with HDPVR recordings and it makes trying to skip forward/backward using the placeshifter, next to impossible
If enough of us make noise it might get bumped up on the priority list