SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 AM
SageTVaholic

EnsureVisibilityForVariable in 2D tables

How does this method use the index (last parameter) for tables? If I've got a 3x3 table, and want a specific item to get focused in the middle location :

Code:
X X X
X 0 X
X X X
Is that index 4 in this case?

I can't seem to get any rhyme or reason when calling this method on 2D tables....

btl.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Yep, that's index 4..... it works from top to bottom like:

x-0 x-3 x-6
x-1 o-4 x-7
x-2 x-5 x-8

As a previous post where I got shot down I'd get element 4 then use that to set the focus but no doubt that will be the wrong way to do it
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting - I would have counted left to right not top to bottom.

Next question - how do you get a table to be free-flowing enough that any element can be in any position?

Code:
g h i
j k l
m n o
can turn into

Code:
i j k
l m n
o p q
I typically see an entire row scroll at a time, rather than the elements moving around one at a time if that makes sense.
btl.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Yep, that's index 4..... it works from top to bottom like:

x-0 x-3 x-6
x-1 o-4 x-7
x-2 x-5 x-8

As a previous post where I got shot down I'd get element 4 then use that to set the focus but no doubt that will be the wrong way to do it
Actually it counts differently based on horziontal or vertical scrolling.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Interesting - I would have counted left to right not top to bottom.

Next question - how do you get a table to be free-flowing enough that any element can be in any position?

Code:
g h i
j k l
m n o
can turn into

Code:
i j k
l m n
o p q
I typically see an entire row scroll at a time, rather than the elements moving around one at a time if that makes sense.
btl.
I don't understand the question I guess. If it needs to scroll it slays will scroll a row/column as that is the table function.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

So you want the focus item to be static in the center all the time and have items move around the focused item?

If so two methods come to mind....

1. First set the focus to the item in the table.... then use listener widgets in your table (up,down,left and right) with a SendEvent to UI component to make the table scroll around, I guess you'd also have to use SetFocus as well to make sure the focus didn't stray away from the position you want it at.

2. Create your table with a UIValue attribute, add some up, down, left, right listener widgets to "RefreshArea" for the panel container in the next step (or you can use a FocusGained hook). Then create a panel widget outside of the table.... maybe using Auto arrange = SquareGrid although not essential. Now add 9 sub panels with each sub panel using a GetDataFromTableFocusedOffset(GetUIComponentForVariable("UIValue", "YourValue"), *, true) where * = table position.

I used the second method to make my showcase view as seen in our thread and youtube clips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Like This.jpg (144.9 KB, 250 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't necessarily want the focus item to be static, I just want the location in the table of the elements to be fluid.

I've had good luck with center scrolling by having a table where each cell is a panel, and just there is a button only in the location where I want to be fixed. I haven't tried it with a 2d table though.

Your method #2 looks interesting - I'll play around with that some and see where it will take me.
btl.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I don't understand the question I guess. If it needs to scroll it slays will scroll a row/column as that is the table function.
For example, to clarify what I'm asking, lets say there is a table with 100 items in it, 9 of those visible at any one time (3x3 grid).

The items are then put into the table 3 per row, with the first index being a multiple of 3....

0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8

etc.

What if I want item 45 to be in the middle column - it's normally going to be in the first column since it's a multiple of 3.

btl.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Actually it counts differently based on horziontal or vertical scrolling.
Hmmm, interesting...... so currently my table is set to scroll horizontally (table has 3 rows and 9 columns) and its numbering as I posted above. But if I change to scroll vertically it will number from left to right?

This would be my prefered method as it makes more sense to see items run along the top, then middle and lastly the bottom..... Actually I can't get my head around this.... what happens if its wrapped? how will it know where to start the media item for the next row?

Edit

Scrap that.... it needs to scroll horizontally so I guess it will always be numbered top to bottom..... I think?

Last edited by jaminben; 04-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
For example, to clarify what I'm asking, lets say there is a table with 100 items in it, 9 of those visible at any one time (3x3 grid).

The items are then put into the table 3 per row, with the first index being a multiple of 3....

0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8

etc.

What if I want item 45 to be in the middle column - it's normally going to be in the first column since it's a multiple of 3.

btl.
You'll need to build your own table out of panels to do that. The default table can't do this ie you can adjust the location of items. You can but it would require you doing it manually by adjusting you array that you are passing into the table but at that point better of just making your own table out of panels.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting...... so currently my table is set to scroll horizontally (table has 3 rows and 9 columns) and its numbering as I posted above. But if I change to scroll vertically it will number from left to right?
Correct if you loOk at your elements I'm the table they get ordered in the same way
Quote:
This would be my prefered method as it makes more sense to see items run along the top, then middle and lastly the bottom..... Actually I can't get my head around this.... what happens if its wrapped? how will it know where to start the media item for the next row?

Edit

Scrap that.... it needs to scroll horizontally so I guess it will always be numbered top to bottom..... I think?
right it the same as the order you see your elements in
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've had good luck with center scrolling by having a table where each cell is a panel, and just there is a button only in the location where I want to be fixed. I haven't tried it with a 2d table though.
The way you are doing it works but using the focusable condition in the item widget is a cleaner way. Then you don't have to draw a item widget and a panel widget just but your condition in the focusable condition box of the item widget. I can't believe Ben is not using this the methods he mentions above work but require way to much effort and extra coding

Last edited by PLUCKYHD; 04-06-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Correct if you loOk at your elements I'm the table they get ordered in the same way

right it the same as the order you see your elements in
Sorry bialio, I don't mean to take over your thread.

So basically if I use my method 2 from above and do what bialio suggested and manually place my items in panels outside of the table and in multiples of 3 it will work?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry bialio, I don't mean to take over your thread.

So basically if I use my method 2 from above and do what bialio suggested and manually place my items in panels outside of the table and in multiples of 3 it will work?
See above post to bialo. If you are manually placing your items you don't need a table...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
See above post to bialo. If you are manually placing your items you don't need a table...
Ok, I see what you mean.... but that would mean quite alot of calculation to get the correct element in the correct place where as using theGetDataFromTableFocused would do all that for you or am I missing the point?

Either way I can't be arsed to make a wall which would work like that at this point as it would take alot of time getting the animations to work nicely for each panel.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So that's not necessarily what I suggested

I have it like this (in this example we've got a cover flow type table - 5 items on screen, fixed focus at location 2):
Code:
Array
     Table
           Cell
                 Panel
                      if (TableRow - HScrollIndex)
                            > 2
                                Item
                                     Panel2 (has any UI elements in it)
                                     Action Chains
                                     Hooks etc
                            > else
                                Panel2 (link to Panel2)

Last edited by bialio; 04-06-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So that's not necessarily what I suggested
Thats not the bit I was referring to.... I ment the bit where you said about doing it like:

0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8

Not that it matters as it would be way to much work to get it looking good.

Although in saying that I do already use the example you just posted in a standard poster flow view except I pull out the focused item and place it in its own panel outside the table so it can be animated independently (poping effect without the table scroll animation) which works pretty good

Last edited by jaminben; 04-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

AH - that's a nice trick. Sometimes the animation effect of the table does get a bit old....

btl.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
AH - that's a nice trick. Sometimes the animation effect of the table does get a bit old....
Yea, agreed.....

I wouldn't actually mind having a go at making a screen for phoenix just to see how it works (although I wouldn't spend too much time on it).... thats if you ever get bored with it

I guess I could grab the SageTVPluginsDev.xml from you know where if I really wanted it (if thats the most recent version?)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

It is.