SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

Best way to backup my DVD backups?

Like many with kids, we're swimming in a sea of Disney DVDs (and the like). I have all of them ripped to my Sage machine as Video TS folders.

We also have a DVD player in the car and let the kids watch movies during trips. But the kids, of course, don't always handle the DVDs very gently and so some of the discs are scratched - some to the point of not being playable.

We also have a CD wallet go missing from an unlocked car (grrr!) so 20 or so movies only exist on the Sage machine - no physical DVD backup.

I'm thinking of getting a 2TB external drive and backing up the movies. I'd copy over the DVD folders and then leave the backup at work. This would leave me without a physical backup for some of the movies (the missing or damaged ones).

There are also some movies that we'd like to be able to watch in the car, but the DVD is missing or damaged. I'd need to make a DVD out of the Video TS folder. I know that there are a zillion programs out there to do this. Does anyone have any specific suggestions for a decent one? I don't need to reauthor or anything - just burn a DVD from the harddrive backup.

Just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone had any other thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

I use DVDShrink (I know it is old, but has worked on the few occasions I've needed to go from Folder structure back to iso) for this... you can choose no compression to prevent any transcoding.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use Nero Express.

Cheers

Mark
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Seems to me the smart thing might be keep the originals safe at home and give the kids copies for use in the car. Then when a disc gets trashed or lost, you can just make a new copy from the original, using any popular DVD-duping software.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Seems to me the smart thing might be keep the originals safe at home and give the kids copies for use in the car. Then when a disc gets trashed or lost, you can just make a new copy from the original, using any popular DVD-duping software.
+1. give them copies. Keep originals safe. DVDShrink is awesome and simple.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.