SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Let's add support for the new silcon dust HDHR Prime (copy freely channels)

Now that the HD homerun prime has been certified from cablelabs silcon dust is expecting to the ship their 6 tuner version first(in 1 month's time) and then start offering the 3 tuner version. Adding support for this network cable card tuner would be awesome to record the copy freely channels. For comcast here that is just bout everything except pay premiums(ie.. Hbo/Showtime)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

how does one best determine if the copy-freely flag is set (for a specific show)?

I know I'd get anything that I can get via my QAM/HDHR setup, but above that set of channels, how would I see what Comcast allows in my area?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
how does one best determine if the copy-freely flag is set (for a specific show)?

I know I'd get anything that I can get via my QAM/HDHR setup, but above that set of channels, how would I see what Comcast allows in my area?
As far as I know comcast marks everything except premiums copy freely. That could change at any time, and I have no idea how to verify that information.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Looks like there is a "Diagnostic Main Menu" on Motorola STBs that will tell you if the programming is copy-freely or not:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...TCP_is_Enabled
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

The analog hole could also be closed too, so unfortunately their are no guarantees with a lot of this stuff..
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
The analog hole could also be closed too, so unfortunately their are no guarantees with a lot of this stuff..
That is a lot less likely than flags being changed. That has already happened out of nowhere for some people. One day it works, the next it doesn't. Hopefully comcast and fios don't ever change them. At least some people would benefit from cablecard inside sage.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
That is a lot less likely than flags being changed. That has already happened out of nowhere for some people. One day it works, the next it doesn't. Hopefully comcast and fios don't ever change them. At least some people would benefit from cablecard inside sage.
I don't think they can CLOSE the hole by law, but they can and in some places have already locked component down to 480i. If the content owners tell the providers to lock it down then they will need to do so. It's all at their whim including the DRM requirements.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I wonder if native support will be provided indirectly since Sage already supports the HDHomerun? If that is the case then there would be no question that the HDHR Prime would be the best device to get IMHO.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
I wonder if native support will be provided indirectly since Sage already supports the HDHomerun? If that is the case then there would be no question that the HDHR Prime would be the best device to get IMHO.
If you are able to get the channels they wont support drm I am 99% sure of that. So as per above the channels with have to be copy freely which cable companies can change at their own whim.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
That's what I'm kind of hoping too. But that's a blue sky scenario. More than likely sage will have to update to make it work. But since the foundation is there maybe it won't be to difficult(or too long). I believe silicon dust is saying myth tv will work(again for only copy freely flagged channels) out the gate.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Sage Icon

Pardon the newbie question:
Per the industry/Cablelabs cert: would SiliconDust's cableCARD device be mandated to lock copy-once content going to a component output at 480i, by content/cable Co? Would SiliconDust's unit have, and be permitted to pass decrypted content on HDMI?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Per the industry/Cablelabs cert: would SiliconDust's cableCARD device be mandated to lock copy-once content going to a component output at 480i, by content/cable Co? Would SiliconDust's unit have, and be permitted to pass decrypted content on HDMI?
Encrypted content won't work with sagetv I only say this again because I don't want people thinking it will.

As for with wmc it is up to wmc how they handle the output as hdhomerun just records. As of know I don't know of wmc limiting any, but that could change
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
It's much simpler than that, the HDHR Prime won't pass Copy Once content to an app that doesn't support DRM, it's as simple as that (or it may, but the app won't know what to do with the DRM laden stream).

It's up to the app (ie WMC) to enforce whatever rules CableLabs requires for handling copy protected channels.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

the chipset in the hd300 is capable of drm support........i'd be happy if that were activated even if this still blocked playback from the pc and only allowed viewing on extenders
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

The Sage server would still need to support it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The Sage server would still need to support it.
And Sagetv would still need to play to get their process certified from cable labs (not cheap).
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
And Sagetv would still need to play to get their process certified from cable labs (not cheap).

Or license PlayReady (also not cheap)
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Sage User

Didn't Silicondust Nick say that for copy freely the prime would act like it was just a HDHR? Sorry I know that is not helpful for those not on FIOS, but for those of us that are this is great.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by videolog View Post
I don't think they can CLOSE the hole by law, but they can and in some places have already locked component down to 480i. If the content owners tell the providers to lock it down then they will need to do so. It's all at their whim including the DRM requirements.
The FCC controls this part, and currently only allows it for Pay For View, and then only until it's released on ANY other media.

Also, you can get a device (forget the name) that takes any HDMI signal and changes it to analog, and the no one has no way of knowing it is hooked up.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Encrypted content won't work with sagetv I only say this again because I don't want people thinking it will.
Newbie confusion: The SiliconDust product attains CableLabs certification. I pay for a CableCARD from my cableCo. The SiliconDust product produces a stream(s) on Ethernet.
Are you all saying that the streams on ethernet remain encrypted, and only software receiving that stream that is CableLabs certified is permitted to receive and store, then decrypt at time of viewing (never store decrypted)?

So stream-receiving compatible certified software is what? Only those who pay to get the certs? And Sage doesn't plan to do so?

So does that mean SiliconDust is betting the farm on their new CableCARD box based only on MS Media Center? Is this a sensible business plan, or what don't I know?

(and there's the dearth of extenders for MS media center, for HD)

Last edited by stevech; 05-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.