SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sage User

HOW TO: Wait until a verify action to change channel?

Fresh install, new PC. I have a Colussus and an HVR 2250. This applies to SageTV in general and I am happy with 99%.

The 1%
I keep using the mouse wheel to change the channel on accident. I am aware I can turn it off with a properties switch and/or a hotkey plugin.
But what I really would like is a way to scroll through channels and then press the mouse wheel or enter or anything really to THEN change the channel. I am a newly converted BeyondTV and I am just about ready to buy SageTV but I need to know if we can do these few things first to hold some of the same functionality.
so...
1. How to make the channel change on select verify instead of changing right away.
2. Is there a way to make the window always on top?
3. Sometimes 1080i looks perect and sometimes the same channel, the same program looks so blocky and compressed it's almost unwatchable. Is there a variable bitrate setting that I may have on by default?

Last edited by thirdoff; 06-04-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Please move thread back to general
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Sage User

I have re-read the docs and I still do not see the info I request.
Should I seperate the three issues? Have I broke a rule? I have read everything and searched forums for channel/auto/verify/not change and everything I find is only related to STBs and this is not the issue. Sorry if this is over asked but I cannot find the answer. Thank you for any replies.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Sage Icon

It sounds like you don't have a media extender, like a HD-300. The best way to setup SageTV is not to watch directly on your computer monitor and to watch on a HD TV with a media extender. The computer is then only used when you make changes to SageTV. The computer is also not used for general web browsing or gaming, just SageTV.

There is a 'default' recording quality setting. You can set it for 'great' quality. That will consume more disk, but the quality will be better. If you use the HVR-2250 just for over the air HD TV and the Colossus for the set top box, then the quality will be better for your OTA channels. If you dedicate tuners for OTA, you might need more tuners and capture cards to avoid 'conflicts'. The quality is much better recording the OTA channels off the air instead of through a HD cable box.

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're controlling Sage with a keyboard and mouse, you could use Ctrl+X to jump to the Guide, scroll through the Guide for the channel you want, and then hit Enter to tune it.

I don't know of a way in the stock product to make the window always on top. I'm sure Google can help you find a third-party utility to do it.

Also be aware that this is a user-to-user forum. If you require an official response from a SageTV employee, use the support request form. And have patience; they should get back to you within a day or so, longer on weekends.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Sage User

Thank you for your responses. I am watching on a PC through the SAGETV software or the sageTV client. Doesn't everybody have a 42" monitor? ;-)

The extender is not necessary in my case.
I was hoping to test the waters for sagetv community too, being a possible BeyondTV convert.

1. EVERY video application that plays in a window has the "always on top" option, are you telling me that SageTV does not have this feature even though it plays video in a window... WOW, hard to believe!
2. BeyondTV had the option to change channel right away, change channel after a certain time, or change on a second button push. Is there a way to do this last option?
3. Is VBR the default to help with network and hard drive congestion?

I assume you mean the cable companies "extra compression" vs OTA because I have full 1080i from both Colussus and 2250. I have noticed compression on most OTA also , BTW. But this is a different issue, I was looking more for the SageTV quality as in other video apps the video from everything is also perfect.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Sage User

2. found the answer:
SageClient.properties files
wheel_down_event_code=5
wheel_up_event_code=4

Exactly the way BTV acted now, I can scroll to go through channels on bottom and click to go to that channel, thank you this post:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35488
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Something to keep in mind, is that sage was not designed to be used at a computer. It CAN be used there, but it is really a 10ft interface designed for use with a remote control.

Also.. the longer you use sage, the less you will use the program guide... I have actually removed it from the menus in my living room. Everything I watch is recorded. I prefer to watch what I want, not what is on.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage User

Thank you for your input. I have been using BeyondTV since version 2.X. I will not change my viewing habits but thank you for suggesting it. I am NOT new to PVR. I usually watch after a nice buffer so I can go through commercials. I do not watch enough of the GARBAGE programming to have to record. How many hours a day/week do you record?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage User

Since the 'always on top" option of my post is directed at the client, I must ask... Isn't the client specifically FOR PC? ;-)

I just want an always on top option on the livetv or recorded video player for client.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdoff View Post
Since the 'always on top" option of my post is directed at the client, I must ask... Isn't the client specifically FOR PC? ;-)
I didn't say not to run it on a PC. I said not to use it at the computer.. ;-) I use the PC client almost exclusively (well, my bedroom has a HD300 extender, but is used sparingly), but I don't have a keyboard or mouse hooked up to it. Just a USB-UIRT, home theater system, 61" DLP and a random old universal remove I had lying around.
Quote:
I just want an always on top option on the livetv or recorded video player for client.
What do you have that's showing on top of the sagetv client window? I don't think I've ever had a need for that option. Sage already loads on top of the taskbar when run full-screen.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 06-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How many hours a day/week do you record?
I don't know.. I don't think it ever stops recording on my 5 tuners (I use intelligent recording, and have 3 adults and 2 children in the house). I certainly don't watch everything that gets recorded, but I always have something that I want to watch, instead of choosing what to watch from what is currently playing. HardDrives are cheap.. and there are many here with a LOT more storage than I.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Sage User

I am usually at my PC due to my job and I spend a lot of time waiting for progress bars. This is when I squeeze in TV, so I like to have about 1/4 of my screen to have the client window.

I have it set up with a notebook PC to a 32" HD in the bedroom but I haven't really turned it on in months.
The kids watch in the living room on a 42" Aquos. I have RF remotes in every room that go to a USB-UIRT to send signals to anything. I have used the external emitters and I love the zones with the USB-UIRT but that is a different topic. I was totally happy with my entire setup, I had 2 OTA-HD tuners, 2 STB tuners (HD over SVIDEO - I know it's only 480i) and 3 analog tuners for basic cable. I do record in the fall/winter but most of not all of it is OTA-HD. The rest is sports and of course The Daily Show. I lost all direct connect tuners thanks to Comcast "upgrade" so I got a colussus to go full HD and I had to move to SageTV to get it to work.

No issues with SageTV in the living room, this would just be for the notebook or the home office PC where I run the client in a window.
I am just making sure I can do everything I used to do with Beyond TV, and if beyond TV would have stayed consumer and supported the colossus I would have stayed. I can do everything except "always on top" - I know its not that big of deal and I can live without it but I prefer it in this situation.

I appreciate the help, thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Sage User

My gaming PC has eyefinity 3 monitor 5040x1050 setup, so I am aware that I could run client in full screen on one screen and work on another but I like to run as few resources as I need/want. Plus the workstation area gets hot in the summer with three monitors going and other times I am on the patio with a one screened notebook. I am sure you get my application and point so you see why I want client windowed mode on top. I enjoyed your feedback but I have yet to hear if it is a feature or even possible.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My gaming PC has eyefinity 3 monitor 5040x1050 setup, so I am aware that I could run client in full screen on one screen and work on another but I like to run as few resources as I need/want. Plus the workstation area gets hot in the summer with three monitors going and other times I am on the patio with a one screened notebook. I am sure you get my application and point so you see why I want client windowed mode on top. I enjoyed your feedback but I have yet to hear if it is a feature or even possible.
Did you do what was suggested earlier and google it? there are many utilities that can do this for you, for any window.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

already there

The SageTV client has an "always on top" option.

Setup - Detailed Setup - Multimedia - SageTV window is always on top - enabled/disabled
Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
The SageTV client has an "always on top" option.

Setup - Detailed Setup - Multimedia - SageTV window is always on top - enabled/disabled
Thank you - I don't know why I couldn't find this.
Too bad it won't matter since I didn;t get to buy a key.