SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

There was an error rendering the video portion

OK, quick background - running Sage v. 6.6.2. Having trouble with client pc that previously worked totally fine, HD died, replaced with exact duplicate, restored Acronis image of pristine OS, installed Sage. Everything works absolutely perfectly except I get the dreaded "there was an error rendering the video portion of the playback" error when I go to watch a ripped DVD. I have not tried a physical DVD.

The machine has a NVidia 7200GS video card. It will play ripped DVD's perfectly through VLC. My kids have watched ripped DVD's on this machine for two years before the HD died. I know I didn't buy a codec pack last time, I know it didn't have PowerDVD or anything installed, and I know I did have this problem and solved it through some sort of setup or something and whatever it was it was not complicated.

I have searched through lots of threads, I have changed to every choice on the dvd playback settings, I have tried switching the regular video/audio settings, and every time I play a ripped DVD I either get the error or Sage crashes and closes completely, depending upon which settings I choose.

Have a MediaMVP client and another PC client that all play ripped DVD's perfectly at the moment off the same server, and again recorded shows play fine and VLC plays the same ripped dvd folders with no problem.

Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out here.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Sage Icon

I might be the incompetent aid, but have you checked the Client PC, Sage Detailed Setup, Video/Audio, H.264 decoder choice?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 AM
SageTVaholic

It might help to know the actual error you're getting. Those cryptic error numbers have do specific meanings that can be looked up online.

Also, I might suggest that once you get it working again, that would be a good time to take another image.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Why can't Sage make some attempt to decode there major/minor error numbers to plain text?
I hit this due to the blatant simple problem of having chosen no H264 decoder (in the wisdom of hindsight). The numbers give no clue or hint.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fixed it. Not a very sophisticated fix but I installed an ancient copy of MediaPortal (0.2.3 or something) and now Sage works fine with ripped DVD's. I've done this before, i think it's how I fixed it last time. MediaPortal must install some codecs or something. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.