SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

Get list of MediaFiles imported/modified/removed after certain date?

I am considering creating a plugin that will need to obtain and store extra metadata for MediaFiles so it will be necessary to keep this in "sync" with external file changes as well as additions and removals from the Sage database. Is there an easy way to get a list of files that have been modified and added or removed from the database after a certain date? Or is there a better way to keep track of this? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

There is no date stamp in the database that tracks modifications to the metadata. Changes to custom metadata properties will cause a .properties file to be written or updated, altering its revision date.

I'm not completely clear on what you're trying to do, but your best bet is probably to store your custom metadata directly in the database using Get/SetMediaFileMetadata rather than trying to keep in sync with an external database. If you need an additional date stamp, you can use those methods to create one (but of course only your code will know about it or update it).
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

BMT updates a custom field, ScrapedDate, when it automatically fetches metadata for an item... but nothing else knows about that field.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

This would primarily be image files where the metadata is stored inside the file itself. So, mainly I am interested in when the file is modified by an external program and "refreshed" when the import directory is re-scanned by Sage without having to loop through all the MediaFiles and checking the (external) actual file modification date. I am interested in when files are removed so that I wouldn't be storing unnecessary information. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
This would primarily be image files where the metadata is stored inside the file itself. So, mainly I am interested in when the file is modified by an external program and "refreshed" when the import directory is re-scanned by Sage without having to loop through all the MediaFiles and checking the (external) actual file modification date. I am interested in when files are removed so that I wouldn't be storing unnecessary information. Thanks for your help.
If you write a plugin... you can create register yourself for the MediaFileAdded and MediaFileRemoved events (you'd have to lookup the actual event names).
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you write a plugin... you can create register yourself for the MediaFileAdded and MediaFileRemoved events (you'd have to lookup the actual event names).
Thanks - I'll look into that.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Monitoring those events is not a guarantee that you'll see all additions and removals, since the user always has the option of disabling your plugin temporarily.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Monitoring those events is not a guarantee that you'll see all additions and removals, since the user always has the option of disabling your plugin temporarily.
Good point. You could always run a java timer (You like that stuckless ). To run through and compare every night or user given time.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
That can probably be managed in the code as well.... but personally, if users are disabling your plugin, then they can't expect the plugin to do what it's supposed to do when it's disabled. As a standard measure, you'd probably want to add a config option (ie, button) that enables your plugin to perform a full audit, that users can use if they feel their collection is out of sync.