SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

To Swing or Not to Swing?

I want to write a Java program that uses a GUI. Do most Java programmers use Swing or is there something better?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I want to write a Java program that uses a GUI. Do most Java programmers use Swing or is there something better?
If you are going to use Java... then I'd use swing... since there will be fewer dependencies. Aslo, if you download the window builder plugins for exclipse, you'll get some nice tools for laying out panels. If you are using netbeans, then they have a decent ui builder as well.

There are other things like swt, and bindings for libraries like qt, etc, but to be honest, for a simple ui, you might as well go with swing.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you are going to use Java... then I'd use swing... since there will be fewer dependencies. Aslo, if you download the window builder plugins for exclipse, you'll get some nice tools for laying out panels. If you are using netbeans, then they have a decent ui builder as well.

There are other things like swt, and bindings for libraries like qt, etc, but to be honest, for a simple ui, you might as well go with swing.
Thanks. I just didn't want to spend a lot of time learning Swing only to find out that nobody used it. I'll do some trolling on the Netbeans and Eclipse forums.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Sage Expert

I would recommend SWT from Eclipse project. You get native look and performance on most platforms.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I would recommend SWT from Eclipse project. You get native look and performance on most platforms.
I started playing with the GUI builder in Netbeans. It's actually pretty easy and most UI elements can be done by dragging and dropping.

Now I just need to think of a fun project.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
The way I understand it, SWT was built from the ground up with the hooks into the OS to get native looking GUI's. This is probably the best way to go if it's something where your looking to really "polish". Otherwise, it all works. I've used Swing and it works just fine.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Now I just need to think of a fun project.
Why don't you try and integrate Navi-x? That would be nice.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
Why don't you try and integrate Navi-x? That would be nice.
I don't think that will look particularly good in a Swing GUI Besides, it seems EvilPenguin thinks it can be done in his PlayOn plugin.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

It was worth a shot. I think Evilpenguin would also be a good fit for the project but I can't get a read on if he is willing to commit to his existing Playon app. The nice thing about Navi-x is that the video quality does not get downgraded like it does with Playon.

Ooops, starting to get side tracked. Good luck with your next project.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
It was worth a shot. I think Evilpenguin would also be a good fit for the project but I can't get a read on if he is willing to commit to his existing Playon app. The nice thing about Navi-x is that the video quality does not get downgraded like it does with Playon.

Ooops, starting to get side tracked. Good luck with your next project.
Well, you got me interested in Navi-X so I'm looking at that. I suppose my Java GUI lessons will have to wait.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

That is great news. I have played with it in boxee and found that it makes boxee much better. That's when I thought if it could make boxee that much better then this would make the sage extenders awesome.

The extenders only real short coming is the lack of available online content. This should help fill that gap. Or at least I hope so.