SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Where to buy hd300

Where can I buy an hd300 now that the store is closed?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 AM

And what about a client license??
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage store is the only place to purchase brand new HD300. Your other obvious sources (Amazon and eBay) would be for previously owned HD300/200/100. Client licenses are NOT required for the HD200 or the HD300. If you're looking for a PC Client license again, the only place that could currently be purchased was the SageTV Store. (Back in the past there were some authorized sellers of the server and client software.) I think for the most part that just wasn't profitable enough and Sage became the only source for new product.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I suspect we'll see a fair number of used extenders appearing on eBay relatively soon. I'm sure there will be a number of people moving on to other DVR solutions. I'm going to wait a few months, but I might sell my extenders and tuners (i.e., HDHR, HD-PVR, and Colossus) to help pay for a Moxi system and some Boxee Boxes.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Sage User

Just my luck... I just received one from sage on Friday...
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was foolish. 2 days ago I asked for one for my birthday. Now I'm out of luck when I could have ordered at that time.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hopefully the Google TV box will have SageTV server connectivity added first so we can all buy it as an extender for our existing setups.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Sage User

Gotta be kidding me! I need at least 2 more extenders and now we have an investment in a dead technology?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivseenbetter View Post
Gotta be kidding me! I need at least 2 more extenders and now we have an investment in a dead technology?
Not necessarily. We don't know what we don't know so all you can do is wait until these things shake themselves out. Can't wait? Then you better look for another product.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I suspect we'll see a fair number of used extenders appearing on eBay relatively soon. I'm sure there will be a number of people moving on to other DVR solutions. I'm going to wait a few months, but I might sell my extenders and tuners (i.e., HDHR, HD-PVR, and Colossus) to help pay for a Moxi system and some Boxee Boxes.
According to most reviews, a Moxi box doesn't have the same level of compatibility for playing my existing files (mostly MKV/H264). If it did, the Moxi would be the Heir apparent to a Sage setup.

Anybody care to comment on the Moxi capabilities?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
According to most reviews, a Moxi box doesn't have the same level of compatibility for playing my existing files (mostly MKV/H264). If it did, the Moxi would be the Heir apparent to a Sage setup.

Anybody care to comment on the Moxi capabilities?
Sure, that's my understanding as well. If I move away from Sage I don't think I'll be able to find a suitable "one-box" solution. What I have in mind at this point is using a Moxi system just for its DVR capabilities, and using a Boxee Box are each TV to play back other media files.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Sure, that's my understanding as well. If I move away from Sage I don't think I'll be able to find a suitable "one-box" solution. What I have in mind at this point is using a Moxi system just for its DVR capabilities, and using a Boxee Box are each TV to play back other media files.
Sounds like a plan, with one question. I'm not too familiar with Boxee either. What would be the advantage of replacing all my HDx00 extenders with Boxee for saved content? Wouldn't we achieve the same result for free by keeping Sage running on the server just to feed us our media through existing extenders?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Sounds like a plan, with one question. I'm not too familiar with Boxee either. What would be the advantage of replacing all my HDx00 extenders with Boxee for saved content? Wouldn't we achieve the same result for free by keeping Sage running on the server just to feed us our media through existing extenders?
Sure, you could. You could also just use the Sage extenders is standalone mode. But I find standalone mode pretty painful, and I'm not going to stay locked into a Sage system if I can't buy replacement extenders if one goes bad. Honestly, I'm still steaming a little bit over the HD100 fiasco from years ago. I don't have a lot of faith in their reliability. (and yes, yes, I know the external power supply on the HD200 and HD300 should help quite a bit).

Plus, I'd like a better way to access online content. The Boxee Box seems like one of the ways to go for that. Roku would be cheaper, but then I'd have a Moxi Mate, a Sage extender and Roku at each box. A Moxi + Boxee combo seems like it would do what I need it to.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Sage Expert

Looks like they are enforcing the rule not to post about selling stuff. I'd hoped they would relax that rule for trades of sage hardware so that some can get out and some can get backup hardware.

Just seems like a nice thing they could do to lessen the screwing they are giving us.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Looks like they are enforcing the rule not to post about selling stuff. I'd hoped they would relax that rule for trades of sage hardware so that some can get out and some can get backup hardware.

Just seems like a nice thing they could do to lessen the screwing they are giving us.
Interestingly I have not see any listed on eBay yet.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage Expert

Look again, but don't bid against me
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This kind of talk is really unwarranted in my opinion. Imagine that instead of being bought out by Google, they'd just quietly gone out of business and shut down the EPG servers without warning. How screwed would you be feeling then? Given that one or the other outcome was probably inevitable at some point, I definitely prefer the one that keeps my system running as long as possible.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage Expert

Your opinion. Mine is that shutting the store and leaving people with trial versions hanging is just as bad. Not being able to get hardware is worse than losing a guide that can be replaced.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Rob, Don't you think you are jumping to conclusions a little too fast? I do realize some of us are in an awkward position but give them a little time. Now, if we don't hear anything for a month I'll likely agree that we are getting the short end of the stick.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Sage Expert

Your right. It may turn out ok, but it is not feeling that way right now and the initial point I was trying to make is why not let people use the forum to trade harware. A post was deleted because someone wanted to sell their HD300. I think that is a little harsh right now. It looks and feels so much like a screw'em attitue from Sage and that is so uncharacteristic.

Of course maybe Jeff knows that in a month the store will be back on line and the hardware swapping is unneeded, but that does not seem that way now.