SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Sage Expert

Every time lawyers are involved, it is not feeling very good. Time will tell.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Your right. It may turn out ok, but it is not feeling that way right now and the initial point I was trying to make is why not let people use the forum to trade harware. A post was deleted because someone wanted to sell their HD300. I think that is a little harsh right now. It looks and feels so much like a screw'em attitue from Sage and that is so uncharacteristic.

Of course maybe Jeff knows that in a month the store will be back on line and the hardware swapping is unneeded, but that does not seem that way now.
Either way, an explanation should have accompanied the deletion.

Can't help but think we'd have gotten one a month ago, if a post had to be deleted.

Been a Sage customer since 2.2, and this is the first day I've considered my other options in years.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Sage Expert

Someone PM'd me last night about possibly selling two HD300's. I replied asking them to let me know if they choose to sell them. The PM's have been deleted. Now that is just horse hockey.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

I've already posted a reminder here that the forum rules do now allow any buying, selling, trading, or advertising. All such posts are removed and the person's account may be placed on moderated status, which includes losing the ability to use the forum's PM system. I don't know if removing someone's PM ability also hides their already-sent PMs, but I generally don't clear an account's entire PM history, which is about all I can do as an admin.

This has been the standard policy on this forum for quite some time.

Please remember that the forum's rules are still in effect.

Thank you.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I've already posted a reminder here that the forum rules do now allow any buying, selling, trading, or advertising. All such posts are removed and the person's account may be placed on moderated status, which includes losing the ability to use the forum's PM system. I don't know if removing someone's PM ability also hides their already-sent PMs, but I generally don't clear an account's entire PM history, which is about all I can do as an admin.

This has been the standard policy on this forum for quite some time.

Please remember that the forum's rules are still in effect.

Thank you.

- Andy
that being said, who ACTUALLY controls the forum, SageTV LLC or a disconnected entity, now that SageTV seems to have closed down?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-21-2011, 01:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
that being said, who ACTUALLY controls the forum, SageTV LLC or a disconnected entity, now that SageTV seems to have closed down?
They haven't closed down; they've been bought. Google now owns all the assets of SageTV LLC, including these forums. That means the Sage folks no longer have the right to set forum policy. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect them to risk their new jobs and change the rules without permission from Google, just to save you a trip to eBay?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
They haven't closed down; they've been bought. Google now owns all the assets of SageTV LLC, including these forums. That means the Sage folks no longer have the right to set forum policy. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect them to risk their new jobs and change the rules without permission from Google, just to save you a trip to eBay?
I have T-Mobile. They've been bought. My phone still gets updates, I can purchase new phones and accessories, and I can get tech support.
The Sage purchase has a different feel to it than that - ie abandonment.
Not quite sure why you threw in the snarky eBay response, if that was your intention.
I just wanted to know who's in control. From your answer, I assume Opus is no longer a "Sage folk"? Whether he risks his job or not really isn't my concern.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

We all know that Opus4 is a bot , 19,000 messages come on
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have T-Mobile. They've been bought. My phone still gets updates, I can purchase new phones and accessories, and I can get tech support.
T-Mobile has not been sold yet. Believe me you will know when they have and you won't be happy. Perhaps the government will come to its senses and put a stop to it. A former employer referred to this kind of limited competition with a high cost of entry as "Rational Competition" if that tells you what to expect.

Google may well open the store again once they have a real transition plan in place. I am sure some lawyer made the decision to close it in an attempt to avoid litigation.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
This kind of talk is really unwarranted in my opinion. Imagine that instead of being bought out by Google, they'd just quietly gone out of business and shut down the EPG servers without warning. How screwed would you be feeling then? Given that one or the other outcome was probably inevitable at some point, I definitely prefer the one that keeps my system running as long as possible.
GKusnick: I am with you regarding keeping my existing system up and running for the longest now that most of us have endured the bug and fixes and have a very stable system running. What bothers me and others is this Corporate silence that while necesary\mandateed creates a lot of uncertainties. In my case, I was going to buy an extra extender but cannot (I have searched fleabay adn others and there are just a few listed) do it. If I want to go the PC client route (which I do not), I can't buy a license. Is this a temporary situation fr us supporters of Sage? Maybe, but no one knows and at least to me I will like to know. There are other options around but I don't think most of us SageTV users will like to endure another round of painful media center setup\troubleshooting when we have an optimized one running. I am trying to stay optimistic with this aquisition process but history has show more often that not that acquired products are just "dissolved" to make room for new ones.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Google may well open the store again once they have a real transition plan in place.
I would be very *very* surprised if SageTV (the software and the extenders) survive this. The thing is dead, get over it. Keep your install while it is running and then switch to something else.

I was about to buy it, I came about a week too late. Damn!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

So, where to buy one?

Now that the store is closed and Google is in charge, where do I buy an HD-300?

* merged *
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourd View Post
Now that the store is closed and Google is in charge, where do I buy an HD-300?

* merged *
Currently-you don't. Unless you find a used one on e-Bay. Give it a little while for this buyout to shake out. If Sage had inventory left I would think Google would choose to sell it and generate some revenue as opposed to just trashing it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The Sage purchase has a different feel to it than that - ie abandonment.

I just wanted to know who's in control. From your answer, I assume Opus is no longer a "Sage folk"? Whether he risks his job or not really isn't my concern.
QFT
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Sage User

At the moment this one is listed on ebay for $350 (yes, that price is correct and you still have to pay for shipping!)

Also, this seller on ebay claims to have 12 brand new units available (see note at bottom). Now, exactly how does someone end up with 12 brand new HD300's to sell. Anyone who is holding out for the Sage store to reopen to sell off their remaining inventory, don't bother. I think someone at SageTV sneaked out the back door with them.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I saw those. I think it makes the previous statements about HD300's going for pennies on the dollar all the more funny.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would pay $350 for a HD300. But if they really do start going that high, I'm going to be awfully tempted to drop mine on eBay too. At prices that high I could cover most of the cost of switching to something else (whatever that might be).
Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wow. Just... wow.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Yeah, I saw those. I think it makes the previous statements about HD300's going for pennies on the dollar all the more funny.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would pay $350 for a HD300. But if they really do start going that high, I'm going to be awfully tempted to drop mine on eBay too. At prices that high I could cover most of the cost of switching to something else (whatever that might be).
Ditto. I was going to bid one an HD300, would go as high as $200 (maybe), but not with $40 shipping. Heck, for $350, I can build a mini-ITX client or a Moxi and have something currently supported. (A path I *hate* btw).
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Rob, Don't you think you are jumping to conclusions a little too fast? I do realize some of us are in an awkward position but give them a little time. Now, if we don't hear anything for a month I'll likely agree that we are getting the short end of the stick.
If they were going to sell more licenses, wouldn't they sell more licenses in a business-as-usual form? If Google owns all assets, which include the bank and merchant accounts, so it's going into their pockets anyways. It's like printing money for them to generate license keys. And one would expect even if they were discontinuing the hardware, they'd want to dispose of it at retail rather than at lot auction or some other wholesale method of disposal?

Which beings me to my next point, do Sage products use activation? (I've never checked/toyed, I entered my keys once into my server and the rest are HD300's), but if it does use activation, do we have any assurance that the machine that does those authentications is going to continue to be available for reinstallations?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck55 View Post
... do Sage products use activation? ...
Windows: No activation (as far as my own testing, Virtual Machine (no network), and other comments on the forum)

Linux: Activation (don't have myself, but other posts on the forum seems to indicate it)
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000