SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Jeff,

Thanks for the gesture. As is the case with many others, it doesn't help me directly, but it's nice to know you're still out there.

As the founder of this special company, I'm sure it's bittersweet to hear the complaints and concerns about what's happening to your baby. It must have been a tough decision.

That said, it's frustrating that a product (and company) that many of us would consider an integral piece of our household can just cease to exist without warning. Imagine all of the products and services you rely on to maintain your household. How many of those companies would just disappear without warning?

Compared to the Android community, we (SageTV users) must seem like a rounding error to Google. But I'm hopeful this new relationship will turn out for the best.

Please do what you can to either re-open the store for a limited time, or somehow offer up any remaining HD300's to your loyal SageTV community so that we can prepare ourselves for what will be an anxious waiting period while you leverage the significant resources of your new partner to bring us the GREATEST DVR OF ALL TIME!!!

-uberpixel
Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
What you can do in this scenario is install SageTV 7 Media Center and input your extra V6 key into that. Then when you run it, do it as "SageTV.exe -client" and it'll act as a SageTV client using a regular SageTV license. This is NOT a way to get a free license; but it useful if you have an extra full license lying around for some reason.
What if we already have SageTV licenses, but don't have client licenses and want to buy client licenses?

Dave
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Sage User

I don't get it - What's up Google?

Does anybody here have a good reason why Google would buy STV, only to immediately close the store and leave so many people in the lurch? Are they trying to piss people off on purpose?
By buying the company, one would expect that they see value in it, and part of that value must be selling the stuff they have. By closing the store, and staying silent, all they seem to be doing is pissing off people that they probably shouldn't. The same people who made Sage into the product that Google decided to buy.
I would think it would be to their advantage to at least say something. Anything! Let us know if we will ever be able to by licenses and extenders again and when. If the plan is to eventually sell a new and improved STV, then let us get what we need now and update when it becomes available. We will be getting what we need and Google will be collecting money in the meantime.
Or, if the plan is to kill STV completely, admit it up front. We'll all adjust in a way that is appropriate for each of us and move on. I can't imagine this is the plan, but you never know.
If its just temporarily down because of contracts or legal machinations that have to be handled, then at least let us know that it is being worked on. I'm sure we can all be patient enough if we know that something is happening behind the scenes to get Sage back in operation.
How about it Google. Did the old "Don't be evil" motto fade away so long ago that no one even remembers what it was all about?

Bob
Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhaze View Post
Does anybody here have a good reason why Google would buy STV, only to immediately close the store and leave so many people in the lurch? .....
Bob
Several possible reasons come to mind:

1. Google wants some or all of SageTv technology for inclusion in a future google product or service.

2. Google wants SageTV people familiar with tuning/streaming/dvr technologies.

3. Google plans to offer a similar competing product, and wanted to remove SageTV as a competitor.

Now I have no inside information about Google's plans, but any of these reasons seem possible to me.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By buying the company, one would expect that they see value in it, and part of that value must be selling the stuff they have. By closing the store, and staying silent, all they seem to be doing is pissing off people that they probably shouldn't. The same people who made Sage into the product that Google decided to buy.
Google's sales in 2010 were $29 Billion. Selling the remaining stocks of extenders or a few software licenses will never amount to anything substantial - they must have bought it to roll some of Sage's IP or technology into other products.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Google's sales in 2010 were $29 Billion. Selling the remaining stocks of extenders or a few software licenses will never amount to anything substantial - they must have bought it to roll some of Sage's IP or technology into other products.
I guess I didn't word my rant as well as I should have. I do understand the magnitude of scale. In the big picture, letting a few Sage users buy additional licenses and extenders doesn't seem like it should matter at all to Google one way or the other. But apparently it does, or they wouldn't have shut down the store.
My question is more a curiosity about what is the downside of letting those of us who were in the middle of setting up our systems and networks finish what we have started? It seems to me to just be good PR. Kudos to Jeffrey for helping out those in the middle of upgrading, but it would be great to help those in the middle of expanding too.
I hope that the Google/Sage relationship turns into great things for all of us, but in the meantime, what could be the downside of letting the few of us who need licenses and extenders get what we need over the transition?

Bob
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Does it work for this situation?

I have a license key for Sage purchased in October 2003 for version 4 and upgrade key for Sage V 6 purchased in Nov 2006.
Can I use now these keys to upgrade to Version 7?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Willemse The Netherlands
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Sage User

OK, so I have a V6 client and V6 server. Went onto Sage on June 23 to buy upgrades to V7 to find the store closed. Do these new files now allow me to upgrade both client and server? I'd like to go with FIOS, but need V7 for SAGETV to work better with the collusus card (I think). Any comments?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Does anybody here have a good reason why Google would buy STV, only to immediately close the store and leave so many people in the lurch?
I'll guess it's simply an attorney that handles M&A for them who spend 2-1/2 minutes on this tiny acquisition and just imposed some boilerplate restrictions.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mb0b View Post
OK, so I have a V6 client and V6 server. Went onto Sage on June 23 to buy upgrades to V7 to find the store closed. Do these new files now allow me to upgrade both client and server? I'd like to go with FIOS, but need V7 for SAGETV to work better with the collusus card (I think). Any comments?
You didn't need an upgrade key for the clients as I recall, just the server. And as it stands, all you need now are valid V6 or V5 keys and you are good to go. Since it appears that you have those, you have nothing you need to do for upgrading except install 7.1.9
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
You didn't need an upgrade key for the clients as I recall, just the server. And as it stands, all you need now are valid V6 or V5 keys and you are good to go. Since it appears that you have those, you have nothing you need to do for upgrading except install 7.1.9
Well, you need to install v7.1.9, then replace the exe file with the one that Narflex posted in this thread. Then it will be happy with the v5 or v6 licenses.

If you have a v4 full license and a v6 upgrade license, you will probably need to enter both of them (if it is a fresh install). If you already have v6 installed and activated, it shouldn't even prompt you for your keys.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage User

Just wanted to add my thanks for the nice gesture. As soon as I figure out whether I can use this with my running-fine-right-now v.6 WHS installation, I may try it out...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you for getting this out to people. I was also tempted by V7, but never had the absolute need for it. However, I had been experiencing some hic-ups with using v6 on Win7 64bit, and moving to 7 seemed to fix it (or the combination of un-install/re-install), but my trial was running out.
HTPC: Intel i5-4670, 8GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1060 Superclocked ACX 2.0, Intel 510 120GB SSD, LG GGW-H20L BD-ROM, 3x Sony VGP-XL1B3 200 disc Media Changers, Win7 Premium 64bit, Haupauge HD-DVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus
Old 07-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
I haven't tried 7.1.9 yet, but I do have both a v7 and a v6 sage server in the house. My v6 client doesn't show the v7 server at all it shows the v6 server in the connection list. Will there be a way to get the v6 client to see the v7 server or a way to upgrade the v6 client to v7?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Sage Icon

The client upgrades were free. You should be able to just install the client over your existing V6 client.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclavieor View Post
I haven't tried 7.1.9 yet, but I do have both a v7 and a v6 sage server in the house. My v6 client doesn't show the v7 server at all it shows the v6 server in the connection list. Will there be a way to get the v6 client to see the v7 server or a way to upgrade the v6 client to v7?
Yeah, simply install the v7 client. There has never been a charge for upgrading clients and no additional key is necessary for clients. This has been stated multiple times including in the post that you quoted.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
Yeah, simply install the v7 client. There has never been a charge for upgrading clients and no additional key is necessary for clients. This has been stated multiple times including in the post that you quoted.
I am sorry. I thought that since my v6 client can only see the v6 server (even when provided with the v7 server's IP) and when I upgrade to client v7.0.23 (7.1.9 crashes for me with Null Pointer error) the v7 client can only see the v7 server (even when provided with the v6 server's IP) that I needed a v7 client license in order to see the v6 server.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

v6 client will only connect to a v6 server and a v7 client can only connect to a v7 server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

though there's not really a reason to NOT be running a v7.1.9 server at this point.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room