SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been considering an upgrade to v7 just to get current and because I've read it's easier to manage add-ons, etc.

However, the reason I haven't is because v6.6 works and works well. I have six people in my immediate family and all are well versed on how SageTV works. In fact, SageTV really is part of my family and makes us 7 not 6.

I downloaded the SageTV.exe and SageTVservice.exe that Jeff provided. Is upgrading to v7 as easy as unzipping and installing these on the server? I use (and love) comskip monitor and playback. I assume that these add-ons aren't affected by an upgrade to v7?

The last thing in the world I want right now is for an attempted upgrade to v7 to cause SageTV to be unusable or to cause me a bunch of administrative time. But I would like to take this opportunity to get onto the latest / last supported version.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilded07 View Post
I've been considering an upgrade to v7 just to get current and because I've read it's easier to manage add-ons, etc.

However, the reason I haven't is because v6.6 works and works well. I have six people in my immediate family and all are well versed on how SageTV works. In fact, SageTV really is part of my family and makes us 7 not 6.

I downloaded the SageTV.exe and SageTVservice.exe that Jeff provided. Is upgrading to v7 as easy as unzipping and installing these on the server? I use (and love) comskip monitor and playback. I assume that these add-ons aren't affected by an upgrade to v7?

The last thing in the world I want right now is for an attempted upgrade to v7 to cause SageTV to be unusable or to cause me a bunch of administrative time. But I would like to take this opportunity to get onto the latest / last supported version.

Thoughts? Thanks.
The quick path to v7 would be to download the sagetv 7.1.9 setup files, and run that. It will 'upgrade' your install to v7.1.9. It will be unlicensed (as you've only got a v6 license), and a 21-day trial will start. You can then close out sage and stop the service, and copy over the modified .exe's form this post, and re-run it. It will then consider your v6 key as valid, and you'll be good to go with v7. You can continue using the v6 (called SageTV3.xml) STV if you like, or you can try out the new v7 UI (SageTV7.xml)... or something crazy like Phoenix.xml. If you use any PC clients, they will also need to be upgraded by installing the 7.1.9 install file. There is no need to replace any .exe files with the client, as all client licenses are the same, regardless of version.

Get the 7.1.9 download's from the beta forum here on the forums.. sticky at the top.

EDIT: oh.. and backup your sagetv folder prior to all of this so you can easily switch back if you don't like it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I assume that these add-ons aren't affected by an upgrade
Why would you assume that? I would assume all addons, plugins, and customizations are broken by an upgrade, especially one as major as v7.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Sage User

Petition to Jeff

In the interest of keeping this community together could you please consider one more change to the server code?
After going thru several hundreds of posts I see a valid concern of many users, myself included, as to how to expand current setups or what to do when our extenders fail. One solution is to build a client pc. But what about client licenses? Well, you can modify the server code to relax the duplicate key check. That way we can install a V7.1.9 server using our V5, V6, or V7 server licenses, run it in client mode and tada! We can expand our setups as needed. Broken extender, no problem. We can build a client pc for less than what the extenders are going for at eBay.
This should bypass the legalities and red tape of having to open the store (which I don't see how that can happen), distributing license free client code, selling client licenses, or even giving them away since there are no new licenses required just new binaries. It's not a perfect solution for people like me who prefer a quiet extender, but it's a way to preserve our investment until Google comes with something better.
Pretty please?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig View Post
In the interest of keeping this community together could you please consider one more change to the server code?
After going thru several hundreds of posts I see a valid concern of many users, myself included, as to how to expand current setups or what to do when our extenders fail. One solution is to build a client pc. But what about client licenses? Well, you can modify the server code to relax the duplicate key check. That way we can install a V7.1.9 server using our V5, V6, or V7 server licenses, run it in client mode and tada! We can expand our setups as needed. Broken extender, no problem. We can build a client pc for less than what the extenders are going for at eBay.
This should bypass the legalities and red tape of having to open the store (which I don't see how that can happen), distributing license free client code, selling client licenses, or even giving them away since there are no new licenses required just new binaries. It's not a perfect solution for people like me who prefer a quiet extender, but it's a way to preserve our investment until Google comes with something better.
Pretty please?
+1
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like the two best ideas to help the SageTV community would be either to provide an HD300 firmware that could work on compatible sigma hardware or relaxing the duplicate client license check in sageTVservice.exe (mentioned below) if HD300's can't be purchased anymore. I'm sure if Google would let Jeff do either option, he would in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig View Post
Pretty please?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
Why would you assume that? I would assume all addons, plugins, and customizations are broken by an upgrade, especially one as major as v7.
korben - rather than me assuming one way or the other, are you aware of any add-ons or customizations from v6 that were broken when upgrading to v7?

Specifically, comskip monitor and playback?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The quick path to v7 would be to download the sagetv 7.1.9 setup files, and run that. It will 'upgrade' your install to v7.1.9. It will be unlicensed (as you've only got a v6 license), and a 21-day trial will start. You can then close out sage and stop the service, and copy over the modified .exe's form this post, and re-run it. It will then consider your v6 key as valid, and you'll be good to go with v7.
Thanks Fuzzy - once I get 7.1.9 up and running, all I have to do is unzip & copy over these latest .exe's to replace the 7.1.9 .exe's that are already there? I don't have to go through an installer process with the new .exe's?

I can't imagine that I wouldn't like v7 if it works but if I have a problem, I would like to be able to roll back to 6.6. In that case, I'd simply replace the v7 .exe's with the v6.6 .exe's that I saved to my USB drive?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks Fuzzy - once I get 7.1.9 up and running, all I have to do is unzip & copy over these latest .exe's to replace the 7.1.9 .exe's that are already there? I don't have to go through an installer process with the new .exe's?
yep, that's it. Just replace the .exe files with the modified ones.. that will basically relax the license checks, and let you run v7 with your v6 key
Quote:
I can't imagine that I wouldn't like v7 if it works but if I have a problem, I would like to be able to roll back to 6.6. In that case, I'd simply replace the v7 .exe's with the v6.6 .exe's that I saved to my USB drive?
no, you should actually backup and restore your entire sagetv directory. the software is made up of a lot more than just the .exe files. swapping just them between v6 and v7 would probably cause quite a few problems.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

BUM

Does someone know the answere to this???

Tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemse View Post
I have a license key for Sage purchased in October 2003 for version 4 and upgrade key for Sage V 6 purchased in Nov 2006.
Can I use now these keys to upgrade to Version 7?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Willemse The Netherlands
Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Tks
From the OP:
<snip>
Got some good news for now. I've been authorized to post updated EXEs for SageTV and SageTVService Version 7 for Windows. These new EXEs do not need a V7 upgrade key to run. They will run with exisiting V5 or V6 licenses. This is to satisfy existing customers who did an upgrade to V7, but the trial has expired or is about to expire on them.
<snip>
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Tks
yes. Install 7.1.9, replace the .exe files with those listed in this thread, run it and enter your v4 key. Exit and rerun sage and enter your v6 key. You will then be fully licensed.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
yes. Install 7.1.9, replace the .exe files with those listed in this thread, run it and enter your v4 key. Exit and rerun sage and enter your v6 key. You will then be fully licensed.
I think he is saying he has TWO SEPARATE server licenses. If so then the v4 key won't work, the v6 will. But I could be misinterpreting. I have been known on very rare occasions to be mistaken :-P
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
I think he is saying he has TWO SEPARATE server licenses. If so then the v4 key won't work, the v6 will. But I could be misinterpreting. I have been known on very rare occasions to be mistaken :-P
Quote:
I have a license key for Sage purchased in October 2003 for version 4 and upgrade key for Sage V 6 purchased in Nov 2006.
Can I use now these keys to upgrade to Version 7?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Willemse The Netherlands
He states v4 key, and v6 upgrade key.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
He states v4 key, and v6 upgrade key.
I think you're right. Must be my interwebs ADD.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

The keys I have are for theSage program NOT the server licenses

So should it work???

Tks Jos Willemse
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

You either have server or client licenses. I'm not sure what you mean by "the Sage program". It is either Sage TV Media Center (which is considered the server) or SageTV PC client software. (And of course there is Placeshifter.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Server or client license??

The licenses are for the server
Sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You either have server or client licenses. I'm not sure what you mean by "the Sage program". It is either Sage TV Media Center (which is considered the server) or SageTV PC client software. (And of course there is Placeshifter.)

Gerry
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks so much. I was one of the ones that upgraded, but hadn't purchased the new key in time. The day I went to purchase an upgrade key was the day the trial key expired and the day that the site quit selling them.

I thought I was really stuck. Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Sage User

I took the plunge on the weekend and upgraded my v5 server running on an Oct 2003 V1.4 licence, not realizing all of this takeover stuff had happened. I had planned on upgrading due to the change over to Digital TV in Canada at the end of August because I need the different tuners/different lineups support in the newer versions. I tried the patched version of the two executables, but they don't seem to like my v1.4 key - I even dug through my email to find the original key - but re-entering that still results in 2 messages that I have an old key ... what options do I have...?