SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Sage Expert

Even if the post says nothing critical, but asked a question of sage or google, it get moved here. This is like the dead letter office of the post office.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

The reason for things getting moved is because no matter how much we ask, google or Jeff or anyone else will tell us anything until they're good and ready. Why clutter up the forum with a question that won't be answered?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
The reason for things getting moved is because no matter how much we ask, google or Jeff or anyone else will tell us anything until they're good and ready. Why clutter up the forum with a question that doesn't need to be asked (because it won't be answered any sooner)?
I doubt it will ever be answered. They have had plenty of time to make a statement or explain what they want to do with it.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Sage Expert

That is one way in which nothing has changed. For a long time now, Sage has been tight lipped about any plans.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I doubt it will ever be answered. They have had plenty of time to make a statement or explain what they want to do with it.
And even if Goggle does announce anything, I doubt the announcment will make it to these forums until someone here links a post to the announcment.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
That is one way in which nothing has changed. For a long time now, Sage has been tight lipped about any plans.
Yes but sage doesn't exist anymore, so that company's way of operating doesn't apply. It is Google that is being tight lipped now... and it just comes across as they just don't care about Sage users and don't figure they should waste even 60 seconds writing any kind of statement up for us. I think they would be happy if we would just go away so they can play with their toys/technology/talent in peace
Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Sage Expert

I agree, except I think they are already playing in peace. They are not losing any sleep over the desires of the sage user base.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Sage User

Then why kill SageTV? They might as well let people buy/have it if they are not going to incorporate it into Google TV. The one thing I am holding out for is an app for Google TV that can be used as a Sage Client.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Then why kill SageTV? They might as well let people buy/have it if they are not going to incorporate it into Google TV. The one thing I am holding out for is an app for Google TV that can be used as a Sage Client.
I'm guessing the reason for not continuing it is that they would have to devote programmers, support staff, etc. to it and they have already taken all of that away. It seems obvious to me they only bought the company for the talent, which they have no doubt already assigned to non-SageTV stuff.

And as far as why not releasing it/open sourcing it... its probably because it could become a competitor to anything Google wants to do with Google TV, etc, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Sage Icon

By the way, since this seems to be the "doomsday" thread and people here may not be checking other threads, maybe this will cheer you up a bit...
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...2&postcount=20
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
By the way, since this seems to be the "doomsday" thread and people here may not be checking other threads, maybe this will cheer you up a bit...
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...2&postcount=20
I guess im just a pessimist, because that post really tells me nothing other than he is working on a project at google. if you think about how many projects live and die at google that never see the light of day, its daunting.

:-/
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
I guess im just a pessimist, because that post really tells me nothing other than he is working on a project at google. if you think about how many projects live and die at google that never see the light of day, its daunting.

:-/
Well if Jeff and the entire SageTV team are intact, and are developing every day for SageTV, and have been doing it for almost 7 months... I think that means Google probably plans to do something with it.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well if Jeff and the entire SageTV team are intact, and are developing every day for SageTV, and have been doing it for almost 7 months... I think that means Google probably plans to do something with it.
And if they've avoided support issues and such from the shutdown, then they likely have been more productive in that 7 months that they previously would have... still... I'm not sure what they could be working on all this time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Sage Icon

I hate to bring reason into this thread , but look at it this way: the way Jeff says "I wish I could tell you, but I can't" almost certainly means it's something that he believes we are going to be pleased with. Why would he say that he REALLY WANTS TO TELL US if it was something that was going to anger/alienate us?

Human nature is not to WANT to deliver bad news. If someone has bad news to deliver and is not allowed to deliver it, they don't actively say "man, I wish I could tell you!"

Now, what he considers "good news" and what EVERYONE here considers "good news" might not mesh. But I suspect that there will at least be a portion of us here who will be just as happy as he appears to be.
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I hate to bring reason into this thread , but look at it this way: the way Jeff says "I wish I could tell you, but I can't" almost certainly means it's something that he believes we are going to be pleased with. Why would he say that he REALLY WANTS TO TELL US if it was something that was going to anger/alienate us?

Human nature is not to WANT to deliver bad news. If someone has bad news to deliver and is not allowed to deliver it, they don't actively say "man, I wish I could tell you!"

Now, what he considers "good news" and what EVERYONE here considers "good news" might not mesh. But I suspect that there will at least be a portion of us here who will be just as happy as he appears to be.
I'd wager a good percentage of people here would be happy with 7.1.9 being sold again - it doesn't take 7 months to do that. Can't see much improvement beyond that that is really needed, aside from online content providers - which is unlikely given google's inability to bring them to even their own 'flagship' tv products...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It may mean that he is working on other google products, but sage remains "his" project since the sage team seems to have stayed together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
And if they've avoided support issues and such from the shutdown, then they likely have been more productive in that 7 months that they previously would have... still... I'm not sure what they could be working on all this time.
That's what's got me interested. What could they possibly be doing? It could literally be anything, or nothing but bug fixes and increasing stability/compatibility. We get to continue the wait-and-see game until he lets us know. I don't mind playing that game at all. It's just like right before the v7 release when everyone was freaking out (well, maybe not just like, but similar).
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'd wager a good percentage of people here would be happy with 7.1.9 being sold again - it doesn't take 7 months to do that. Can't see much improvement beyond that that is really needed, aside from online content providers - which is unlikely given google's inability to bring them to even their own 'flagship' tv products...
To be completely honest, I am very, very happy with what I have right now. I have a hard time thinking of things that could be added/changed within Sage (legally) that could make it better for my household. So the only thing I worry about is dying extenders (since we are an extender-only household and have no client licenses). If the extenders were still available, I'd buy 8 of them and go on my happy way, never wanting anything new. So, if the new resolution - whatever Jeff is working on - allows me to either keep what I have, or maybe move into some new device/software that has all the features I have now, but know that extender devices are available in case something dies, then I'll be happy.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of things that could be added to Sage, which I have not thought of, that would make me happier.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
It may mean that he is working on other google products, but sage remains "his" project since the sage team seems to have stayed together.
Well his wording was "I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought."

That seems to indicate that the entire team is working on Sage TV ("along with..."). And if he works on it every day, then I doubt he is doing many other Google projects
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well his wording was "I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought."

That seems to indicate that the entire team is working on Sage TV ("along with..."). And if he works on it every day, then I doubt he is doing many other Google projects
I agree with your logic, but why in the world would google buy sagetv just to let him continue to work on it like nothing has changed (at least that's what his post seems to indicate)? I have to think they wanted him for some of their own projects. Only time will tell.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I'd guess that when he discloses what he's been working on some people will be happy, some will be mad, and some just won't care

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.