SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Server Migration question

I just got my new cpu and motherboard for my sage server. I'm going to upgrade to w7 64bit and am looking for the best way to have as little down time as possible.

Current server is in my sig and functions wonderfully. However, I need more cpu power, and pcie slots so my current motherboard won't cut it (plus it has really been abused).

What I'm thinking is the best way is to get everything windows related going on the new server including sage and everything else I currently have running on my server. Then install all the drivers for the tuners and such. After all the installation is done (including moving with wiz.bin) I should be able to install all the hardware and be up and running. Is that the best way to get things going?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I just got my new cpu and motherboard for my sage server. I'm going to upgrade to w7 64bit and am looking for the best way to have as little down time as possible.

Current server is in my sig and functions wonderfully. However, I need more cpu power, and pcie slots so my current motherboard won't cut it (plus it has really been abused).

What I'm thinking is the best way is to get everything windows related going on the new server including sage and everything else I currently have running on my server. Then install all the drivers for the tuners and such. After all the installation is done (including moving with wiz.bin) I should be able to install all the hardware and be up and running. Is that the best way to get things going?
Yes I usually just copy the wiz.bin after setting up the tuners and all is good with the world. Just add your recording directory back in and it will reimport the tv. The fanart stuff you are really just best to redo.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Yes I usually just copy the wiz.bin after setting up the tuners and all is good with the world. Just add your recording directory back in and it will reimport the tv. The fanart stuff you are really just best to redo.
Copying the fanart directory wouldn't be OK? There is A LOT of fanart in there. What about the collection manager stuff? Just copy the database or start over?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Copying the fanart directory wouldn't be OK? There is A LOT of fanart in there. What about the collection manager stuff? Just copy the database or start over?
You still have to have the metadata to use the fanart that is there. You could ouptut property files maybe and I think BMT will reimport that stuff with a setting.

Collection Mangaer (MM) you can backup that up and then restore on the pc within the manager itself. It backs up all the fanart and everything. But really the fanart and xml files are with the videos so they reimport fine in my experience even keeping watch history and such.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You still have to have the metadata to use the fanart that is there. You could ouptut property files maybe and I think BMT will reimport that stuff with a setting.

Collection Mangaer (MM) you can backup that up and then restore on the pc within the manager itself. It backs up all the fanart and everything. But really the fanart and xml files are with the videos so they reimport fine in my experience even keeping watch history and such.
Didn't they change it to where the metadata is in the wiz.bin now? If not all mys stuff has .properties files anyway so no issues there. It is easy enough to set everything to watched again.

Any other advice?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

As you look at copying or doing new and such keep in mind if you have UNC paths you are going to have a new machine name. That means all of your paths will change. \\Oldserver\path will change to \\Newserver\path. So sometimes it is better to just let it recreate the data. It's will avoid numerous errors you may see with non-existant paths and having to keep the other machine up so the new Sage install can see the old paths and the new paths. It's all up to you and how much time you can wait until your new install is error free. Metadata is in the wiz.bin, in the recording files themselves and in .properties files.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
As you look at copying or doing new and such keep in mind if you have UNC paths you are going to have a new machine name. That means all of your paths will change. \\Oldserver\path will change to \\Newserver\path. So sometimes it is better to just let it recreate the data. It's will avoid numerous errors you may see with non-existant paths and having to keep the other machine up so the new Sage install can see the old paths and the new paths. It's all up to you and how much time you can wait until your new install is error free.

Gerry
Agreed there. The only thing I copy the wiz bin for is my favorites and recording schedules.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Cool. This server will have the same name so that shouldn't be an issue. Once it is put into "production mode" that is. I'll have it named server 2 at first. Static IP address as well. Re-importing everything wouldn't be an issue though. I'm thinking that this will be fairly painless, but want to cover all my bases just to make sure. The old server drive will remain untouched just in case something goes horribly wrong. Now I just need to find a window of down time to make it all happen.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

When it re-imports your existing recordings they will all get marked as 'archived'.

But from the old server your best bet, as said above, is just to bring over wiz.bin from the sage directory. If you use Phoenix for fanart and it lives on your server you can copy that folder from one to the other as well.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
When it re-imports your existing recordings they will all get marked as 'archived'.

But from the old server your best bet, as said above, is just to bring over wiz.bin from the sage directory. If you use Phoenix for fanart and it lives on your server you can copy that folder from one to the other as well.
Right you can copy it but without the properties to reimported the bmt custom fields the fanart won't work. Unless something has changed in the last 2 months Phoenix needs the custom title match to get the fanart correct? No if you get the same title it will use the existing but I found allot of times it matches different on a new server and then I have two fanart folders. Again tv really doesn't have this issue.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Right you can copy it but without the properties to reimported the bmt custom fields the fanart won't work. Unless something has changed in the last 2 months Phoenix needs the custom title match to get the fanart correct? No if you get the same title it will use the existing but I found allot of times it matches different on a new server and then I have two fanart folders. Again tv really doesn't have this issue.
BMT is just for TV anyway so not an issue. Things are actually going to get rearranged a bit anyway so not a big deal.