SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage User

media MVP question?

Can any one help me trouble shoot this?

I have a second MVP that I hooked up to my system tonight and It gets stuck at the loading app screen. it see the server fine but hangs on the loading screen.
I have both MVP's assigned to static IPs and have the sage.prop file line set for both miniserver/clients=
The one MVP works fine, but when I switch them out the second one just hangs.

All the ports are open.

this set up has worked in the past, but I have had the second unit shut off (unpluged) for a few weeks and was welcomed back with this when I plugged it back in.

I seem to be getting some kind of java socket error that I do not get when I start the "good" one.

here is the log file:

ConnRecvQueue@14690fe] Error communicating with server:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.792 [ConnRecvQueue@14690fe] Cleaning up c/s connection
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.793 [Seeker@16fcbc0] Seeker awoken
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.793 [Seeker@16fcbc0] MemStats: Used=56MB Total=93MB Max=1037MB
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.794 [SageTVMiniDiscoveryServer@1e98793] Error w/SageTV client connection:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.794 [ConnRecvQueue@14690fe] NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:3214 type=1
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.795 [main@145e044] Cleaning up PM
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.796 [MiniBootp@fab9c1] MiniError-3:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.796 [MiniMVP@4dfdd3] MiniError-1:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.797 [MiniTftp@13a4519] MiniError-2:java.net.SocketException: socket closed
Tue 10/25 20:38:04.797 [ConnRecvQueue@14690fe] MsgRecv thread is terminating for /127.0.0.1:3214

thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Sage Expert

I've had this problem before...

I've got this in a text file on my computer now. Pulled it somewhere from this forum.

look at the below and edit your sage.properties file accordingly.

"If MediaMVPs fail to connect...
Try the miniserver/forced_server_ip= parameter in the sage properties file.
It should be the IP address of the NIC on the server that can get to the MVP.

Thanks, that did it. While there, I also noticed another property which seemed strange to me:

miniserver/gateway=192.168.0.1

If I ever had a 192.168.0.x segment to my LAN, it was years ago. Should this be my normal gateway IP? I'm assuming it should be. I also changed it, plus added the forced server IP, and things are working anyway."
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diodeut View Post
Can any one help me trouble shoot this?

I have a second MVP that I hooked up to my system tonight and It gets stuck at the loading app screen. it see the server fine but hangs on the loading screen.
I have both MVP's assigned to static IPs and have the sage.prop file line set for both miniserver/clients=
The one MVP works fine, but when I switch them out the second one just hangs.

All the ports are open.
First, have you solved the problem - if so please post what the solution was (or you think might have fixed it).

I haven't had issues like this and go into java related errors.

I currently have 4 MVP (SD) boxes throughout the house. Few things I know:
1) One problem recently was that the box tried to connect to the server - and kept repeating the loading app over and over. You said "stuck" and "hangs". Hangs is when things freeze.

What I found was - though you think it knows the server it really failed and is in an infinite loop. When you unpower the unit then power it up, it will say press OK to enter the server selection screen. I did that, and then it came up and showed the server and I said OKAY then it proceeded to the LOAD APP screen and eventually SageTV returned.

The trick is unpowering it since the option to enter the server screen happens once near the start and you cannot choose it after that.

2) Swap units and double check your switch/router
I am running wired units and ran into a problem where by one unit failed. I swapped with a known working unit and it too failed. I had thought it was a bum NIC cable (the ends). Ended up being a bad port on the switch. (ultimately found to be a known problem with SD-2008 Cisco switches of which I need to do an RMA on, but as Hammy Hamster would say "that is another story").

Could be the unit has died to.

Anyways, with your java issues my points may be moot but sometimes this stuff isn't easy to diagnose.

FWIW
belly
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Sage User

I have not been able to get the unit back up and running. The unit set unused for several months untill I tried to use it again. I am not sure if something happened in that time. I am just holding on to my one working unit.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by diodeut View Post
I have not been able to get the unit back up and running. The unit set unused for several months untill I tried to use it again. I am not sure if something happened in that time. I am just holding on to my one working unit.
I have had the same issue in the past. Thought the MVP was stuck forever. I don't remember what finally made it work but I seem to recall loading the original Hauppauge MVP software and getting it to connect with that. Then remove the Hauppauge software and let Sage try. I used to have 5 of them going and occasionally one would act up like this.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

The only issue I've had with my MVP's over the years was power outs and power burps to the house would cause the network router to seem fine but needed a hard reboot. Just unplugged the router, waited 10secs, then plugged it back in any everything including the MVPs were fine.
The odd thing was, computers and other appliances worked, but my MVP's could not find the server from time to time.

Shot in the dark but try cycling your router (and switch)?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage Expert

I've got 3 of my 4 original media MVPs running still.

I'm missing the power supply from the 4th, but as far as I know it still works. The only issue I ever had was failing to connect no matter what until I edited the sage.properties file.