SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Sage Icon

SageDCT w/ Prime: Halts

I'm getting those halts regularly, a number of them each day. They come in three flavors:

1. A piece, or multiple pieces of the show are missing, otherwise the recording seems fine.

2. First view minutes of a show are completely missing, after that it's only audio.

3. First view minutes of a show are completely missing, after that the show is.

I think I have read here that a faulty power source can cause this? Any other known causes? I have seen Halts before, since I own one of the original HDHomeRuns for a number of years now. However, those were always caused by no data, since I actually didn't get the channel it was trying to record from.

I have SageDCT 2.1.8 running in a Windows 7/32bit VM running on my Mac, using 11-25 HDHomeRun software. Besides those halts, it works really well.
The attached log captures an error of the second kind.

babgvant, could you take a look at the log?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageDCT_4172.log.zip (673 Bytes, 230 views)

Last edited by flavius; 12-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Sage User

Are you using the optional PBDA capture mode in SageDCT?

I too was experiencing a rash of Halts (in my case, with a Ceton card). The two culprits turned out to be (1) marginal signal levels at the card due to dodgy splitters, and (2) trying to use PBDA capture.

Unchecking the PBDA capture mode option in SageDCT eliminated many issues I was having.

KoB

Last edited by King of Bayonne; 12-09-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Sage User

I also had a big problem with halts. It turned out it was the signal level. I took out a a splitter and made sure it was 1 cable run. This seemed to clear up the issue
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage User

I was having a lot of issues with halts as well. I think my issue was related to hard drive speed, as I'm using a lower power 2 terabyte SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 for both my Windows 7 drive and to store some of my recordings. I increased the buffer sizes and the halts have disappeared (I think I have had 1 in the last month instead of multiple ones a day before the buffer change). I set my write buffer to 16384 and my RTP buffer to 524288.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Sage Icon

Update

This past week I found some time working on my problem with the Prime. I put in a signal booster: according to the prime web interface almost all channels are at 100% all the time or slightly below that. However, I was still experiencing those halts.

Then three days ago I went to babgvant's site again since I had heard of a new SageDCT version and saw the image of all the default settings and changed my RTP Buffer to 65531 (down from the default 131k). After that I started stressing the system with lots of concurrent recordings.

No halts so far.

Does this result make sense? Can reducing the RTP Buffer help with halts?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Lightbulb SageDCT Buffer Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Then three days ago I went to babgvant's site again since I had heard of a new SageDCT version and saw the image of all the default settings and changed my RTP Buffer to 65531 (down from the default 131k).

Can reducing the RTP Buffer help with halts?
Yes, I believe it can.

I reduced my RTP buffer to 65536 and changed my write buffer to 8192. My halts went away.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Sage Icon

Another three days without any halts. I'm actually starting to believe now that my problem is fixed.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the suggestions re the RTP and Write buffer. I too experience halts, about once or twice a day. I am going to try these options.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I got one HALT error yesterday. But the frequency of the errors seems to have gone down.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Where do you set the buffer sizes you're talking about?
I'm getting quite a few halts as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

SageDCT Config, Settings tab.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks

Quote:
SageDCT Config, Settings tab.
I figured that out - I thought they were Windows settings.

I'll look it over tonight to see if I'm still having issues.

On a side note - has anybody used a Ceton InfiniTV4 USB in conjunction with an HDHR Prime?
I was considering adding another cablecard tuner and 4 sounds better than three...

Last edited by scoful; 01-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

I'm trying reducing the buffer size too (RTP buffer - 65536, write buffer - 8192). What I notice so far is that the CPU load of SageDCT goes up past 20% for me when all tuners are recording through Sage when doing this.

Quote:
Then three days ago I went to babgvant's site again since I had heard of a new SageDCT version and saw the image of all the default settings and changed my RTP Buffer to 65531 (down from the default 131k). After that I started stressing the system with lots of concurrent recordings.

No halts so far.

Does this result make sense? Can reducing the RTP Buffer help with halts?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Halts are driving me nuts

I seem to be getting more and more halts. It's always the first tuner, yet I can tune on that tuner and even the channels that the halts are logged on without any problem. It seems to be Sage's favorite tuner to use and I'm not sure, but I think it tends to happen when all three Prime tuners are recording (or at the very least two of them).
It's hard to see what happened when you can't look at the parallel recording schedule history! Why can't it show that? It would make it a lot easier to see what conflicts need to be resolved too. The system messages always just say 'Such and such was not recorded due to a conflict' but I can't ever tell what show is trumping it (sorry that's a completely different topic).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
I seem to be getting more and more halts. It's always the first tuner, yet I can tune on that tuner and even the channels that the halts are logged on without any problem. It seems to be Sage's favorite tuner to use and I'm not sure, but I think it tends to happen when all three Prime tuners are recording (or at the very least two of them).
It's hard to see what happened when you can't look at the parallel recording schedule history! Why can't it show that? It would make it a lot easier to see what conflicts need to be resolved too. The system messages always just say 'Such and such was not recorded due to a conflict' but I can't ever tell what show is trumping it (sorry that's a completely different topic).
Read this post-this will help you understand what may be causing the halts and how to fix it. Disabling Interrupt Modulation on the NIC was the big fix for me.
Troubleshooting the Prime

As for the second issue I have noticed this to. I am wondering if Sage is having a hard time understanding it is three seperate tuners and it should not be having these conflicts. What helped me get around this is actually designating the channel for the favorite. This may not work for everyone but I do not have the conflicts anymore.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Read this post-this will help you understand what may be causing the halts and how to fix it. Disabling Interrupt Modulation on the NIC was the big fix for me.
Troubleshooting the Prime

As for the second issue I have noticed this to. I am wondering if Sage is having a hard time understanding it is three seperate tuners and it should not be having these conflicts. What helped me get around this is actually designating the channel for the favorite. This may not work for everyone but I do not have the conflicts anymore.

Gerry
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try. My server has an integrated broadcom adapter so if it continues I'll add an Intel card in and see if that takes care of it.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try. My server has an integrated broadcom adapter so if it continues I'll add an Intel card in and see if that takes care of it.
Regardless of the NIC I found the biggest chager for improvement were the settings. You may need to disable some of the offloading or enable/disable hardware error corerecting, etc. Once you have that figured out then decide if you need to invest in an Intel NIC. (Granted they are around $25.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Disabling Interrupt Modulation on the NIC was the big fix for me.
Well, that's fascinating. I recently got an Intel NIC and if i turn that option to anything other than Adaptive, including off, I get nothing but a jumbled mess of a recording. According to the SageDCT logs, all the RTP packets are arriving out of sequence in any other setting.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Well, that's fascinating. I recently got an Intel NIC and if i turn that option to anything other than Adaptive, including off, I get nothing but a jumbled mess of a recording. According to the SageDCT logs, all the RTP packets are arriving out of sequence in any other setting.
Are you looking at the right option. Under the Advanced Tab Interrupt Modulation is either Enabled or Disabled. Under Performance Options is Interrupt Modulation RATE-not the same and mine is as Adaptive.

Gerry
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Are you looking at the right option. Under the Advanced Tab Interrupt Modulation is either Enabled or Disabled. Under Performance Options is Interrupt Modulation RATE-not the same and mine is as Adaptive.

Gerry
I don't have Interrupt Modulation as a toggle under the Advanced Tab, only Performance Options. Where you're right, it is labeled as RATE. And on 2nd look it is Moderation, not Modulation. I guess that is not a feature of my NIC. So, never mind.