SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

PC Client will not connect to WHS server

Hello all,

I recently built a new PC client (seeing as we cannot purchase any more HD300) and I cannot get it to talk to the server.

I have tried two different versions of windows 7. One is Win 7 Ultimate x64 N (minus Media center) and a Win 7 x86 Thin PC version. My goal is to make the install as light as possible it is being installed on a 64gb ssd, which is the only drive in the system.

The strange thing is, I can ping the server, RDP into it, read and write to all of the shares. ETC. I have tried disabling UAC and re-installing the client, completely turning the Win 7 firewall off, tried connecting via hostname and direct IP.

No matter what I try Sage will not connect from this new machine. I have a HD300 and 200 as well as another pc client that all connect fine.

I am out of ideas, anybody have any?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

It has it's own client license, right?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Exisiting WHS server with Sage? WHS v1 or WHS 2011? When starting up the Sage PC client does it automatically discover the Sage server address? Is the PC client in the same workgroup as WHS? Are you using the same User ID on the WHS and the PC Client? Is the PC Client on the same subet as the WHS? It should connect in trial version if you don't have a license. And if you don't have a PC client license you won't be able to buy one from Sage.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Exisiting WHS server with Sage? WHS v1 or WHS 2011? When starting up the Sage PC client does it automatically discover the Sage server address? Is the PC client in the same workgroup as WHS? Are you using the same User ID on the WHS and the PC Client? Is the PC Client on the same subet as the WHS? It should connect in trial version if you don't have a license. And if you don't have a PC client license you won't be able to buy one from Sage.

Gerry

Yes the WHS has been running for a little over two years with two extenders, one HD200, and one HD300. I also have two client licenses and one being utilized on a intermittent basis.

I was attempting build a low power, quiet client for a bedroom. The pc is a AMD Lano desktop processor. Gigabyte mobo with 1gb ethernet. The pc is on the default workgroup name (like all of my pc's)

I have tried both in trial mode and then registering the client license. WHS has it's own license.

It does not autodiscover the server, and I have tried manually inputting both the pc name and pc ip address.

Yes the pc is on the same subnet ie default 255.255.255.0 and I can access the shares via \\servername

I can rdp into the desktop on the server via the name or ip address. So I can see the server from the PC, just not Sage.

The other PC I have in the house sees sage just fine???
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

255 is your subnet mask. So all your IPs have the same first three octets? (For example, all PCs have 192.168.0.XXX) It's probably a firewall issue that it can't see Sage on the WHS. So turn off the firewall on your new PC client and see if it works. Check the threads or the Sage manual to find out what ports you need to open when you turn the firewall back on. Also make sure on your new PC that you have marked it as a home network (or work, but not public) and make sure you have enabled to make networks discoverable.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
255 is your subnet mask. So all your IPs have the same first three octets? (For example, all PCs have 192.168.0.XXX) It's probably a firewall issue that it can't see Sage on the WHS. So turn off the firewall on your new PC client and see if it works. Check the threads or the Sage manual to find out what ports you need to open when you turn the firewall back on. Also make sure on your new PC that you have marked it as a home network (or work, but not public) and make sure you have enabled to make networks discoverable.

Gerry
I have done all of that. The network is listed as a home network. I checked the firewall for SageTV and it lists Allow on all UDP and TCP traffic. It is on the same 192.158.1.x address convention. Networks are discoverable and I did try completely disabling the firewall. Still no dice?????
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Might want to try a simple reboot on the WHS. I have seen instances where the server, for whatever reason, looses it's broadcast listener, and is no longer responding to incoming queries.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Might want to try a simple reboot on the WHS. I have seen instances where the server, for whatever reason, looses it's broadcast listener, and is no longer responding to incoming queries.
I tried that also, on another weird note. I tried loading the sage client onto another pc I have at home. It is Win 7 home premium x64 and it also cannot connect.

Same issues, I can rdp into the server via name or ip. I can read and write to all of the server shares. Ping it etc.

But Sage still cannot connect.

But yet another pc on the network with w7 ult x86 connects fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

last question, what version is the client software and what version is the server?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguebert View Post
I tried that also, on another weird note. I tried loading the sage client onto another pc I have at home. It is Win 7 home premium x64 and it also cannot connect.

Same issues, I can rdp into the server via name or ip. I can read and write to all of the server shares. Ping it etc.

But Sage still cannot connect.

But yet another pc on the network with w7 ult x86 connects fine.
If you are running the whs service as a user you may have to set the client sevice up with the user name and password also.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenice View Post
If you are running the whs service as a user you may have to set the client sevice up with the user name and password also.
That's not really true. All of sage's core functions travel directly through TCP and UDP connections. Things like workgroup, username, etc don't come into play. This is either a firewall issue (on the client side, or the WHS side), or a language issue (meaning client and server aren't speaking the same one, meaning they are different versions). There's really no reason at this point for anyone to be running a version other than 7.1.9.

Client and server DO need to match versions, otherwise you will get the symptoms described here (it simply won't connect). It doesn't give any more helpful error than that. I had that same problem a few months ago, where I backed up my client, reformated/reinstalled windows (was switching to x64), and then restored my client. It wouldn't work. Took me forever to figure out why, until I realized I had actually restored a backup I had made a couple years earlier on the same day, and it was a v6 client install.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
last question, what version is the client software and what version is the server?
Fuzzy,

You nailed it. I had just figured out what was going on. I had a conflict on the server and the latest version had not installed properly even though I thought it had.

It's working now.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for all of the help guys.