SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ceton Datasheets for "Echo" and "Q"

I found these datasheets for the Echo and Q. I did not see these posted so I thought I would share them with the group.
http://cetoncorp.com/wp-content/them...Ceton_Echo.pdf
http://cetoncorp.com/wp-content/them...et-Ceton_Q.pdf

Last edited by nebulink; 02-16-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Links have been fixed
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Sage Icon

Your links are incomplete.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks like ceton may have removed them. Here's the copies I have downloaded.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Datasheet-Ceton_Echo.pdf (289.6 KB, 453 views)
File Type: pdf Datasheet-Ceton_Q.pdf (322.3 KB, 375 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't see a coax connector.
And I wonder if it requires a cablecard or can work with clear QAM.

Mitch
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, the mock-up models they used for the pictures appeared to not have the Coax, even though they obviously will have them (both for the tuner, AND the MoCA).

Also, there's no mention of the Echo connecting to the Q... only to 7MC...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

To me the biggest thing missing is a SageTV logo.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

There is finally a real media center extender. The MC crowd is going to flip. This actually makes WMC a decent alternative.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
There is finally a real media center extender. The MC crowd is going to flip. This actually makes WMC a decent alternative.
Exactly.. which makes me wonder the point of the Q...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The point is you get the 7MC functionality without having to fuss with all that goes with buying/building a PC and then setting up 7MC. Just plug it in and it works.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That and they've (apparently) done quite a bit of custom work on top of WMC, they've got clients/controller apps for iOS/Android/Win8 that can control and play content remotely, lots of integrated online services and a universal search or something. Plus additional built in skins and the ability to create your own skins.

If the Q were to work with satellite somehow (like HDPVR), I would seriously consider it.

As far as the PDFs go, they really don't say anything interesting, or answer any of the really important questions, like how much of the additional functionality the Echo is capable of requires the Q (rather than just a 7MC server).
Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, but everyone's pretty much already GOT a windows 7 PC in there home... all they need to do is buy some echos and a CETON cablecard tuner...

Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah, but everyone's pretty much already GOT a windows 7 PC in there home... all they need to do is buy some echos and a CETON cablecard tuner...
Or for some of us, just some echos.

But for me that will only happen after Sage stops doing what I want it to do or my extenders start dying off. And I don't foresee Sage not doing what I want it to do for at least another year or two. And it may actually be a number much greater than that.

Wayne
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Well that's really the problem now, I want HBR bitstreaming (finally got an SSP that supports it) for my BD rips, and frankly my HD300 is quite flaky now that I've started trying to use that. There isn't a firmware that it actually works perfectly, and unless Sage starts developing again, there won't be. So if the Echo can do BDs with 7MC, it will, you could say, be "compelling."
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well that's really the problem now, I want HBR bitstreaming (finally got an SSP that supports it) for my BD rips, and frankly my HD300 is quite flaky now that I've started trying to use that. There isn't a firmware that it actually works perfectly, and unless Sage starts developing again, there won't be. So if the Echo can do BDs with 7MC, it will, you could say, be "compelling."
My client bitstreams without any issues. You should try one. I've set up so many at this point I know exactly what works and what doesn't.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
My client bitstreams without any issues. You should try one. I've set up so many at this point I know exactly what works and what doesn't.
That would be a relatively expensive proposition at this point. I don't have anything suitable for a client, at least nothing not already in use. So I'd need probably an i3, motherboard, ram, probably an SSD (because at this point I'm just philosphically opposed to putting anything else in a machine for the boot drive)... Oh, and a new server case because my HTPC case is housing my Sage server at this point.

Can Sage use LAV CUVID and madVR?

In some ways I'd like to do it again just to prove to myself yet again that PCs are inferior to hardware devices for playback.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That would be a relatively expensive proposition at this point. I don't have anything suitable for a client, at least nothing not already in use. So I'd need probably an i3, motherboard, ram, probably an SSD (because at this point I'm just philosphically opposed to putting anything else in a machine for the boot drive)... Oh, and a new server case because my HTPC case is housing my Sage server at this point.

Can Sage use LAV CUVID and madVR?

In some ways I'd like to do it again just to prove to myself yet again that PCs are inferior to hardware devices for playback.
Well, I was hoping you had enough spare parts. You are right in that would be an expensive experiment.

Sage can use LAV CUVID (now called LAV video). I just started using them yesterday with my 6570 (they work with AMD now that dxva2 support has been added). The only down side is that my Colossus recordings don't seem to like them. I'm going to experiment more later. madVR doesn't show up in the video render list.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, no mention of component out for the Echo. What about my ancient non-HDMI HDTV's?

If the "Q" will allow my to copy over my existing SageTV recordings and it overlays metadata on the them, I may be sold. Though this being cable-only, I would miss some of the DirecTV specific programming.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
... and setup the server someplace for 24x7 operation, and configure it, and maintainit, and ......

vs. the Q where you plug it in, configure the channel lineup and forget about it.

Your argument is like saying nobody will buy a DVD/BluRay player because everybody already has one in their computer. They're different devices, with different purposes.

I'm watching Q/Echo very closely.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

+1

I've got the server and chops for it, but I'll also be watching this Ceton solution closely. My SageBox only does SageTV, is fine and all, but I'm not wed to running it this way. But I will need to do a feature comparison on my current Sage setup before jumping into murky (to me) waters.

I still find it crazy that this is the first extender to come along aside from xboxes. I wonder if WMC would have much more traction if they had just 1 slim, cheap option. But then again, I realize we are a niche market in the big picture (which is why it's great to have a focused company like Ceton that focus on meeting "nichey" needs).

Anything to keep me off the Comcast DVR...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Hmm, no mention of component out for the Echo. What about my ancient non-HDMI HDTV's?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.