SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Sage Expert

SageTV Service stopping constantly

I don't use sage too much anymore, but I still have the server running and still can record over the air.

Hadn't checked the box in a few weeks and went to use it on Friday and the SageTV Service would die after a minute or two.

Nothing in the logs. 100% repeatable. Stopped all other unnecessary services.
Rebooted. Etc. No luck anywhere and nothing in the logs to say why it stopped.

I was able to fix it by using system restore.

Just curious if anyone else has seen something like this. I'm wondering if it might've been a windows update. It's all good now though.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM
SageTVaholic

This is usually caused by having autoupdate enabled for Java. Sage doesn't get shutdown so the update doesn't install all the new files. Turn off autoupdate for java and update only when ALL of the SageTV services have been shutdown and processes terminated.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
This is usually caused by having autoupdate enabled for Java. Sage doesn't get shutdown so the update doesn't install all the new files. Turn off autoupdate for java and update only when ALL of the SageTV services have been shutdown and processes terminated.

Gerry
Yeah, I've run into Java update issues before. It was really bad when I relied on Sage for everything and it happened.

But check for updates automatically isn't checked now.
And Notify Me: Before downloading is selected.

So it's not a Java thing.

When I had the java issue before, sage wouldn't even start. Here, it was starting, but failing everytime within a minute or two.

FWIW, i'm running Java 6, Update 29. I probably ought to update. The last time it checked for updates was Oct 31, 2011. (I'm not sure what was selected before doing the system restore - but I didn't change any settings after running system restore)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Sage Expert

I'm gonna update Java now. But - first I'm creating a restore point labeled "Sage Working - Java 6.29"

Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I'm gonna update Java now. But - first I'm creating a restore point labeled "Sage Working - Java 6.29"

Why would you want to update Java ? If it is working?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

I've got a few other things on this box. I'm not sure everything that relies on Java, but I've got plex running as well as Serviio and a couple of other things.

So I want to keep Java current.

But - I get what you're saying - and that's why I created a restore point before doing anything.
I've now got Java 5 Update 5 running. Sage Service is up and running and everything else appears to be as well. In a couple of days if everything stays good, I'll create another system restore point for this build of Java. And I'll likely go another 6 or more months before upgrading it again.

Last edited by ybrew; 07-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I've got a few other things on this box. I'm not sure everything that relies on Java, but I've got plex running as well as Serviio and a couple of other things.

So I want to keep Java current.

But - I get what you're saying - and that's why I created a restore point before doing anything.
I've now got Java 5 Update 5 running. Sage Service is up and running and everything else appears to be as well. In a couple of days if everything stays good, I'll create another system restore point for this build of Java. And I'll likely go another 6 or more months before upgrading it again.
You meant Java 7 update 5 - correct?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Sage Expert

OOPs - yeah. Java 7.