SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Sage Expert

"Make Default" for fanart not working (with Gemstone)

EDIT: I've edited the title of this post to specify that the extender UI is using Gemstone.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why the "Make Default" button under any of the fanart options seems to have no effect once that same view is browsed again at a later time? The change is also not appearing in Sage.

The only plugins I have installed are Gemstone, BMT and Movie Trailers with dependencies.

I've tried both Safari and Firefox in Mac OS X while using BMT.

I'm finding I have to change potentially all the default art for every TV series because they all seem to be using the lowest resolution sources instead of the highest. For a few show art folders I've browsed, the series folder had high res images and the season folder under it had low res.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 10-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Sage Icon

I did some work on this with stuckless previously, and it appears that the setting of the default fanart is actually working, but the get default fanart doesn't return the fanart that is set as the default.

John
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
I did some work on this with stuckless previously, and it appears that the setting of the default fanart is actually working, but the get default fanart doesn't return the fanart that is set as the default.

John
I try to take a look at this tonight... You've mentioned this to me a LONG time ago, and unfortunately, I wasn't working in Phoenix at the time. Now, I'm spending a fair bit of time in Phoenix again, I'll move this to the top, since it should be easy to find and fix.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Sage Expert

It's not just the web UI. The feature just doesn't work at all right now. BMT will not swap out the images in Sage - only the first image for each of the fanart types is ever used. Are most people using only the first image and does no one use the "make default" feature to specify one of the other downloaded images?

For instance, the first poster image for "Family Guy" is a Barack-Obama-style Blue/Red poster of Adam West. Nothing I do in BMT allows this to be changed.

All backgrounds for all shows appear to render with very low resolution - they honestly look like 320 pixel wide images. Is this also normal? I though that it might be because a low resolution image was being selected by default, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I think it's just rendering related - which may need a post in the Gemstone forum.

Also, a quick question just to make sure I'm on the right page here...

When browsing titles in BMT, is it enough to change the poster for a single episode of a show when my goal is to change the poster for the entire series?

In a similar vein, is there any browse mode/filter whereby I can get a (top level) list of all (recorded TV) series (shows) without listing individual episode files?

I'm working only with recorded TV before I attempt to tackle locally stored rips and other video files that weren't produced from within Sage.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 10-30-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Also, a quick question just to make sure I'm on the right page here...

When browsing titles in BMT, is it enough to change the poster for a single episode of a show when my goal is to change the poster for the entire series?

In a similar vein, is there any browse mode/filter whereby I can get a (top level) list of all (recorded TV) series (shows) without listing individual episode files?

I'm working only with recorded TV before I attempt to tackle locally stored rips and other video files that weren't produced from within Sage.
There is a TV Shows view in BMT... that groups by series... is that what you mean?

As for default fanart, it is applied against the mediafile id, which is per episode. I need to update that for TV to apply it against the series (if I recall, I already did this, or started it, not sure).
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Sage Expert

Some additional info:

Using the Fanart picker built into Gemstone, I can see that the correct Poster was marked as default, the one I chose using BMT, even though that was not the one being used.

It seems that what's happening is that after making the change in BMT, the caches for Gemstone/Sage are not being flushed/rebuilt.

I'll need to test with a few other shows to confirm this.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

There were a few "gaps" in the setting of defaults in the Phoenix calls so in gemstone I wrote code around them so it is certainly not a one for one between setting defaults for tv. But if you set it in gemstone it should keep that default in gemstone and use it.

I plan to work with stuckless on integrating the changes into the Phoenix core... Just no time so far

k
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Sage Expert

Oh, can anyone advise on why I seem to have way more views than I've seen in screen shots? I have what look like duplicate views listed in many instances. However, hovering the mouse shows tool-tips that are unique, with for example one view being labeled "gemstone.source.allTV" and another "phoenix.view.default.TV"

Other examples might have three "duplicates" all with some variation of a phoenix label.

Stuckless, thanks for the tip on the "TV Shows" view. This does allow me to see folders representing the different series, but I still have to click into each folder to manipulate any data or fan-art. I'm not sure how you'd integrate it given the files you're working with, but I'd love to be able to manipulate the data on a series-level as well without having to look at individual episodes. I realize this is getting close to the type of functionality that some would expect from a metadata management app using a database.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 10-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Oh, can anyone advise on why I seem to have way more views than I've seen in screen shots? I have what look like duplicate views listed in many instances. However, hovering the mouse shows tool-tips that are unique, with for example one view being labeled "gemstone.source.allTV" and another "phoenix.view.default.TV"

Other examples might have three "duplicates" all with some variation of a phoenix label.
Because Phoenix and Gemstone both use VFS, you are probably going to see some duplication in the views If you are using BMT you can hide views that you don't want to see.

Quote:
Stuckless, thanks for the tip on the "TV Shows" view. This does allow me to see folders representing the different series, but I still have to click into each folder to manipulate any data or fan-art. I'm not sure how you'd integrate it given the files you're working with, but I'd love to be able to manipulate the data on a series-level as well without having to look at individual episodes. I realize this is getting close to the type of functionality that some would expect from a metadata management app using a database.
I see. You want to be able to do some series level fanart editing. While that's possible, It's not something that I'm likely to add to bmt... I consider bmt to be retired in the sense that I'm retired from doing work on it (just don't have the time )
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Sage Icon

stuckless, thanks for the update that includes the fix for the Get/Set default fanart

John
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
stuckless, thanks for the update that includes the fix for the Get/Set default fanart
Sorry it took so long to get around to this... I know you told me about it many months ago

Btw, the latest changes incorporate jusjoken's fix for season level default fanart. ie, when you go into an episode and set the default fanart it is applied against the season for that episode.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Sorry it took so long to get around to this... I know you told me about it many months ago

Btw, the latest changes incorporate jusjoken's fix for season level default fanart. ie, when you go into an episode and set the default fanart it is applied against the season for that episode.
Just to clarify, is it settng the default for a season, or the series... is there a way to set the default for a series as well? (not everyone browses by season)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just to clarify, is it settng the default for a season, or the series... is there a way to set the default for a series as well? (not everyone browses by season)
If you are talking about from BMT... I believe the answer is No... but this is a limitation of the UI not the phoenix core.

From Gemstone you can Set Defaults at the Season and Series levels (and you already can but once the next Gemstone release is out then Gemstone and the phoenix core will be using identical code so they should certainly stay in sync).

k
Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
If you are talking about from BMT... I believe the answer is No... but this is a limitation of the UI not the phoenix core.
That is correct... In bmt, the series fanart is set using the mediafile id, to it internally maps that to now use the season specific season fanart.

I guess from a Phoenix point of view, I'd have to have some sort of flag that either sets the fanart at the Season level OR it sets it at the Series level, but I can't have both... since getting a default poster, uses the mediafile.

I'm open to suggestions on how people think it should work. Maybe I need to add a quick feature to BMT??
Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Ideally in BMT you would offer editing the fanart when a series folder is displayed..group by is show and the first child is a tv item would work. Or on an episode item you would need a toggle for the fanart screen..

k