SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

A way to stream Sage recordings on Android

With all the discussions here about how to stream Sage stuff to Android (Plex, Splashtop, etc.), I was happy to discover that the PlayOn plugin "Local Files" works. I don't think I'd heard anyone really mention that option.

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 a few days ago and installed the PlayOn app, and I have my PlayOn "Local Files" plugin aimed at all my media folders including Sage recordings. So far everything I have tried plays smoothly (except native DVD rips in TS).

Of course, this requires you to have PlayOn, which isn't necessarily something all Sagers have (I do, as I'm OTA and can get lots of "cable content" this way), and it's not free... but it does work.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Isn't Plex a better and cheaper way to do this?

And there most be tons of other apps that let you do this - I am in the Apple world and AirVideo does this well. It must be easier with Android as you don't have the Apple Nazis dictating what formats of videos will be allowed in their ecosphere. There are probably apps that let you make an SMB connection to your shared hard drives and you can probably play files by clicking on them in a file browser. Isn't there also a VLC app for Android?

PlayOn should also work for streaming live TV from SiliconDust HDHRs once they get that feature released since it uses DLNA.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Isn't Plex a better and cheaper way to do this?
Considering I paid a lifetime subscription to PlayOn a few years ago for like $39 and have been using it through Sage ever since (i.e., I've gotten more than $39 out of it!).... and all I had to do was go to the Google Play Store and download the PlayOn app with no server setup or installation necessary (whereas Plex would have required that), I liked this option. If it hadn't worked, I would have looked into Plex, but now I don't need to.

And while I'm no expert, I think getting streaming to Android from Sage is harder than you think. Before Plex, it seemed to be a real struggle. Sage's mobile web has been able to stream to Apple devices for years now, but everyone still seems to be struggling with getting the perfect solution for Android (in lengthy discussions in many threads in about three of the subforums here)....

Anyway, I wasn't saying it was a better way than other solutions, I was just mentioning it as "yet another" way. In all those threads I mentioned above, I didn't recall seeing anyone toss out this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
PlayOn should also work for streaming live TV from SiliconDust HDHRs once they get that feature released since it uses DLNA.
That would be cool - are they working on that?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
And while I'm no expert, I think getting streaming to Android from Sage is harder than you think.
Streaming isn't perfect for iOS, at least not for HD files. SD streaming works without problems but I have tried several methods for HD, both MPEG-2 files and H.264 files and I always have problems, especially if I try to skip ahead in the file, which I always do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
That would be cool - are they working on that?
Here is info on the beta for the Prime, I don't know about the non-Prime units yet http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=14188