SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Set my HD-PVR on fire - replace with original model or HD-PVR2?

the power supply on my hd-pvr failed. I bought a new one online but it turned they shipped me the wrong power supply. I stupidly didn't check the voltage and smoke started to pour out as soon as I plugged it in. It is toast...

I am trying to figure out what model I need to replace it with. I use directv so I am not sure I can get any value out of the hdmi models. I don't believe they work with directv based on other threads I read.

On Amazon the 1212 models are $170.. The 1512s are a few dollars cheaper.

There is then another model for $150 which I can't even figure out what the model number is - http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Gami...+pvr+hauppauge

Do I spend more money for the older model? I am find spending $20 more (or finding another place to buy) if it means plug and play but was wondering if I should be looking at these newer models..
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalt View Post
the power supply on my hd-pvr failed. I bought a new one online but it turned they shipped me the wrong power supply. I stupidly didn't check the voltage and smoke started to pour out as soon as I plugged it in. It is toast...

I am trying to figure out what model I need to replace it with. I use directv so I am not sure I can get any value out of the hdmi models. I don't believe they work with directv based on other threads I read.

On Amazon the 1212 models are $170.. The 1512s are a few dollars cheaper.

There is then another model for $150 which I can't even figure out what the model number is - http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Gami...+pvr+hauppauge

Do I spend more money for the older model? I am find spending $20 more (or finding another place to buy) if it means plug and play but was wondering if I should be looking at these newer models..
first, Hauppauge can be pretty accommodating regarding inexpensive repairs to their products...sometimes you only have to pay for shipping. Especially if their power supply was the one that failed in the first place. Does the box have to be external, or could a Colossus work as well?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Sage Expert

Some (most?) Directv receivers do not have HDCP protection enabled for their channels, except HBO and similar "extra" channels. So, depending on which channels you have, HDMI might work for you.

Be aware that there are issues with Sage and the 1512 (see the thread on this). The worst issue is that hd300/200s don't recognize sound when playing live TV files.

It seems like the 1212 still provides the most solid/reliable performance.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm using a HR22-100 box with my Colossus recording ALL channels through HDMI including HBO and other premiums. So if you get an OLDER HD STB for DirectTV you may be able to record everything as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried the colossus card. I thought it was a winner but now it starts to stutter if I dont restart it daily.

I was thinking I would return it and get another external model. I see on amazon they have a 1212 (which looks like the original model).. But they also have a 1512 with HDMI and a gaming model.

Does the 1512 have any known issues?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Last I checked, the 1212's are probably your safest buy. Your local Best Buy usually has them (1212's) in stock, and on sale right at the moment for $170. I have started purchasing used 1212's on Ebay - you can usually find one shipped to your door for under a hundred bucks. Keeping in mind that our devices get much more use than the other 95% that were purchased for occasional use by folks looking to record a gaming session.