SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Sage Expert

HD-PVR SPDIF no longer working

So yesterday I was having an issue where the sound was not getting picked up in recordings. Basically one of my audio cables from an STB had come unhooked (no idea why).

I took the opportunity to unhook everything clean up my pc and stbs and hd-pvrs from dust etc. This also allowed me to re-organize so that I could
get to the backs of all the hardware easier.

When I hooked everything back up, I have both the analog RCA audio and the optical / SPDIF audio attached to my HD-PVRs.

Then in SageTV (because I rewired everything), I removed all my HD-PVR tuners, and re-added them.

At this point when re-adding, if I selected SPDIF, the preview would never work and the HD-PVRs basically acted as if they are non-functional (which I know is of course not the case).

So I switched them to use just analog audio and everything is working fine.

I also took the opportunity to test 5.1/SPDIF audio in Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, just to see if it was working there (after shutting down Sage and the service of course).

Sure enough 5.1 seemed to work (although the audio level seemed low).

Any thoughts? Could something be wrong with the AC3 decoder Sage is using? Other ideas I could test / try?

I should note that I'm using 3 DirecTV stbs all serial tuned, 2 of which are H21-100s and 1 is an H21-200. All of them have optical and/or coax digital audio out, as well as component and rca/analog audio out.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sean,
As far as I know - you CANNOT have both the analog and digital connectors hooked up or the digital will not work!
Remove the Analog sound connectors and just have the SPDIF hooked up - reset the power on the box and try it again!?

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

Also check to be sure you have the Spdif plugged into the *IN* and not the "OUT* on the HD-PVR.
I made that mistake when I was moving things around and the HD-PVR exhibited similar DOA symptoms to the ones you describe until I put the SPDIF into the correct port on the HD-PVR. Of course checking the SPDIF port was about the 87th thing I tried.

I have never tried having both the RCA's and SPDIF plugged in at the same time so that might also be something to check. You already know from past experience that those work so I'd just unplug the RCA's while you troubleshoot the SPDIF.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Sage Expert

thats odd i always have had both sets plugged in in the past without issue but its certainly easy enough for me to just use the one so ill try that

and yeah i definitely have them plugged into "in" but indeed i have made that mistake before :-)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
thats odd i always have had both sets plugged in in the past without issue but its certainly easy enough for me to just use the one so ill try that

and yeah i definitely have them plugged into "in" but indeed i have made that mistake before :-)
I've never tried having both hooked up, but maybe it is a one way thing. Both plugged in is fine as long as you have the RCA's selected, but not if you try to use SPDIF?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

Hard Lock up

I had a hard lock up witht he HD PVR once and I was reccomended by Hauppuage to choose a completely different set of inputs in the TME software. In my case I selected the RCA inputs (front) and that got it going again. You might try that.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Sage Expert

yeah ill try both. . .heading out for vacation this week so it will have to wait till i get back

Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post

I have always had both analog and SPDIF plugged in and never had problems. Did you try skipping the preview and trying with SPDIF anyway? I find the preview to flaky sometimes and usually skip it to do a real test with the guide.