SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I purposely limit (via the menu file) the number of items that are loaded... I do this, because loading 1000s of items into a a device like the roku will kill it

There is no paging, since there isn't an easy way to do paging in plex... it is possible... just not easy

That's why I create views like "unwatched tv" and "unwatched movies", etc, since those are smaller views.

You can also use the "Search" to search the sagetv media files as well.

Feel free to add a bug/enh request on the issue site... If I get time, I'll add paging.
You mean kill the Roku ? ... because I have the same movies on regular plex and the Roku handles them just fine I have 878 Movies in Plex.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
You mean kill the Roku ? ... because I have the same movies on regular plex and the Roku handles them just fine I have 878 Movies in Plex.
I just know that when I was testing this... if I loaded all 2000 movies on my plex client on roku... it would crash plex.

You can create a custom main menu, and remove the "limit" field to have it load all movies, if you want.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just know that when I was testing this... if I loaded all 2000 movies on my plex client on roku... it would crash plex.

You can create a custom main menu, and remove the "limit" field to have it load all movies, if you want.
maybe that is a limit with channels... I will test.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Sage Expert

Now I have it working, I have a few questions if that's OK ?

o Any way to make the posters have the correct aspect ratio ? They are showing as squares at the moment.

o Will the plex view and sage ever be able to agree on the 'watched' status of a video file ?
ie watched on plex updates sage and vice versa

o Will the plex channel use Pix64's metadata scanner ?

Thanks
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
o Any way to make the posters have the correct aspect ratio ? They are showing as squares at the moment.
Which plex client? Basically I give the poster that we have in SageTV to the plex client... I have no control in how they display it.

Quote:
o Will the plex view and sage ever be able to agree on the 'watched' status of a video file ?
ie watched on plex updates sage and vice versa
The Plex Channels have no concept of watched/unwatched (which is sad, really). So, no. There may be a "hack" that I can in the channel to let sagetv know that a video was watched... but it's a hack.

Quote:
o Will the plex channel use Pix64's metadata scanner ?
I'm not sure I understand this one. The Plex Channel is simply a "view" into another system (ie, SageTV in this case)... so no media is actually imported into Plex. That being said, Pix64's Plex Metadata Scanner uses Phoenix/BMT metadata... and this Plex Channel also uses Phoenix/BMT metadata... so in that sense, yes, they use the same metadata sources.

It's actually quite surprising how limited a plex channel is I think that because the channels are typically used watch online videos, you have no control over watched/unwatched, or even providing contextual menus for media items. (ie, it would be nice to add a Set Watched, or Delete option to the media view, but I have no way to add that functionality... unless Plex decides to beef up the Plex Channel).
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Which plex client? Basically I give the poster that we have in SageTV to the plex client... I have no control in how they display it.
I meant the android client but checking the web BUI via plex.tv that crops them too (Into backgrounds)

Quote:

The Plex Channels have no concept of watched/unwatched (which is sad, really). So, no. There may be a "hack" that I can in the channel to let sagetv know that a video was watched... but it's a hack.
Thanks, just thought I'd ask.

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand this one. The Plex Channel is simply a "view" into another system (ie, SageTV in this case)... so no media is actually imported into Plex. That being said, Pix64's Plex Metadata Scanner uses Phoenix/BMT metadata... and this Plex Channel also uses Phoenix/BMT metadata... so in that sense, yes, they use the same metadata sources.
Ah, I didn't realise that you were using BMT too, I looked at a couple of examples via the plex channel and I thought they just had the OTA description. That clears that up. Thanks

Quote:
It's actually quite surprising how limited a plex channel is I think that because the channels are typically used watch online videos, you have no control over watched/unwatched, or even providing contextual menus for media items. (ie, it would be nice to add a Set Watched, or Delete option to the media view, but I have no way to add that functionality... unless Plex decides to beef up the Plex Channel).

Agree, it does seem like a bit of a bolt on
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not very familiar with Plex.

I've been looking for a solution to extend my SageTV TV/Movie media file access (with fanart) to my Android device.

Can someone please post screenshots of what it would look like potentially on an Android device?

Thanks,
MKANET

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
SageTVaholic

I am an Apple person, but here is a screenshot from an Android tablet that is similar to what I see on my iPad http://www.droidsector.com/blog/wp-c...s-1280-1-7.jpg

Last edited by Opus4; 02-06-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: image too wide to post inline; changed to link
Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I'm not very familiar with Plex.

I've been looking for a solution to extend my SageTV TV/Movie media file access (with fanart) to my Android device.

Can someone please post screenshots of what it would look like potentially on an Android device?

Thanks,
MKANET
for extending your collection you may want to look also at the plex scanner and BMT agent that Brian and I wrote. Its fairly complete at this point and does several things that cannot be done with the channel.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57842
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Wayner, not really what I was expecting. Isn't there supposed to be "Browse SageTV Movies", "TV Recordings", "Currently Recording"? Maybe someone could post some more screenshots? Doesn't plex discern the difference between TV shows and movies?

Does Plex Media Extender take up any CPU resources when there aren't any actively streaming clients? Im hoping it's like sageTV's transcoder where it takes up resources ONLY when it actually needs it (like how sageTV executes a transcoder process when needed). I already have a ton of backend services (mostly Windows-only) running on my server; including my 4 R5000 network encoders, IIS .NET apps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am an Apple person, but here is a screenshot from an Android tablet that is similar to what I see on my iPad

***RIP SageTV***
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks Wayner, not really what I was expecting. Isn't there supposed to be "Browse SageTV Movies", "TV Recordings", "Currently Recording"? Maybe someone could post some more screenshots? Doesn't plex discern the difference between TV shows and movies?

Does Plex Media Extender take up any CPU resources when there aren't any actively streaming clients? Im hoping it's like sageTV's transcoder where it takes up resources ONLY when it actually needs it (like how sageTV executes a transcoder process when needed). I already have a ton of backend services (mostly Windows-only) running on my server; including my 4 R5000 network encoders, IIS .NET apps, etc.
Here's a series of screenshots I took on my phone...
https://plus.google.com/photos/10159...44572852719025
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 AM
SageTVaholic

So far, I'm liking this quite a bit. I love being able to use Phoenix views in it, and love the ability to use PlexSync to my mobile devices. However, the issue is, PlexSync's greatest feature is the ability to sync the next xx episodes of a show, which unfortunately, requires watched information - which as mentioned, is not available in Plex Channels.

The Plex media scanner plugin does support watched status (well, at least within Plex - not sure if that status is linked to sage), but it doesn't do Phoenix views - a non-starter for me with my elaborate view configuration.

Phoenix for android does a great job of displaying sagetv metadata, and integrates watched status - but doesn't support any syncing capability for offline viewing. Also, I've never gotten it to stream satisfactorily.

In the end, all the pieces are there in various projects, but no project actually fits my needs. I do think the plex route is the best method, as it has the most complicated part (the streaming) handled quite well - but getting the few missing features into one or the other implementation is not really that easy.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
So far, I'm liking this quite a bit. I love being able to use Phoenix views in it, and love the ability to use PlexSync to my mobile devices. However, the issue is, PlexSync's greatest feature is the ability to sync the next xx episodes of a show, which unfortunately, requires watched information - which as mentioned, is not available in Plex Channels.

The Plex media scanner plugin does support watched status (well, at least within Plex - not sure if that status is linked to sage), but it doesn't do Phoenix views - a non-starter for me with my elaborate view configuration.

Phoenix for android does a great job of displaying sagetv metadata, and integrates watched status - but doesn't support any syncing capability for offline viewing. Also, I've never gotten it to stream satisfactorily.

In the end, all the pieces are there in various projects, but no project actually fits my needs. I do think the plex route is the best method, as it has the most complicated part (the streaming) handled quite well - but getting the few missing features into one or the other implementation is not really that easy.
I would love to be able to incorporate the Phoenix views into the scanner / bmt agent.. but its not in the cards and not really supported.

What i could see is perhaps using the views during scanning to create collections in Plex.... If anyone is interested in that or think they would use it I can investigate doing it from a code perspective
Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I just installed this plugin; and, got it all working. I have to admit, it is pretty nice.

Since everything I need to access is available to me via the PLEX client SageTV Channel view, it would be ideal if the default home screen for my PLEX client is the contents of the SageTV channel.

When I start my PLEX client on my android phone, the default is "ON DECK"; which is completely empty, then I have to switch to the MY LIBRARY screen, then to the Channels screen; and, finally click on the SagetV Phoenix channel icon to finally see all the items.

I'm basically try to configure my PLEX client in a way; so, it is as close as possible to a SageTV client (minus EPG and favorites).

BTW: Has anyone made any nice custom icons for the items under the SageTV channel? Mine currently all shows as a generic icon for TV, Movies, Home Movies, etc.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
I would love to be able to incorporate the Phoenix views into the scanner / bmt agent.. but its not in the cards and not really supported.

What i could see is perhaps using the views during scanning to create collections in Plex.... If anyone is interested in that or think they would use it I can investigate doing it from a code perspective
Yeah, I'm aware there are problems with customizing hierarchies in plex plugins. That's probably the most frustrating part, is that it SHOULD be easy, but there are just some strange limitations involved (just like the lack of a watched status in channels).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW: Has anyone made any nice custom icons for the items under the SageTV channel? Mine currently all shows as a generic icon for TV, Movies, Home Movies, etc.
I'd be happy to update the plugin with icons... if people provide them... Sadly, I'm not a graphics person
Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
(just like the lack of a watched status in channels).
I posted a wish list to the Plex team (on their forums) when I completed this channel plugin... including a wish item for tracking watched status... Sadly, they don't appear to be be willing to work with developers and enhancing the channel apis
Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I posted a wish list to the Plex team (on their forums) when I completed this channel plugin... including a wish item for tracking watched status... Sadly, they don't appear to be be willing to work with developers and enhancing the channel apis
Yeah, I saw that after posting this here.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

That would be great!

Quote:
I'd be happy to update the plugin with icons... if people provide them... Sadly, I'm not a graphics person

***RIP SageTV***
Old 04-05-2014, 05:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that after posting this here.
It's too bad... because if the plex team actually were more engaged with their community in terms of "enhancing" the channel scripting, you could do some really impressive stuff. My goal originally was to really beef up this plugin with more integration to sagetv to create a "real" client, if you will... but after spending the 2 weeks it took me to create this, it became clear that using a plex channel, I'd never get close that goal.

On the other hand... I also looked at the Roku APIs which are much richer for creating Plugins.. I haven't had time to actually test it out, but I think using their APIs you could actually create a full client... Someday, I'll get around to testing that out