SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 AM

How Does SageTV Media Server for Windows Home Server work?

I'm a little confused about how the SageTV Media Server for Windows Home Server works. Is it:
1. Install tuner card in the WHS and attach you cable/antenna to the card.
2. Install the add-in on the WHS.
3. Install an unnamed client on another PC hooked up to your TV so that you can control SageTV and watch recorded content?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillTheChill View Post
I'm a little confused about how the SageTV Media Server for Windows Home Server works. Is it:
1. Install tuner card in the WHS and attach you cable/antenna to the card.
2. Install the add-in on the WHS.
3. Install an unnamed client on another PC hooked up to your TV so that you can control SageTV and watch recorded content?
You got it exactly right

Dirk
Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

Will we need a SageTV Client as well as the Media Server software? I assume we will. I don't think RDP is going to give you enough enough power to watch video on a client machine.

What if we already own MediaCenter. Will we be able to do somesort of license swap? In other words, I don't want to have to shell out another $80 when I build a WHS box and want to make it a SageServer as well. (I only want 1 box on 24/7).
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Will we need a SageTV Client as well as the Media Server software? I assume we will.
Yes you will, SageTV for WHS is really meant to be the center of a "whole house" or multi-room media system. At least that's how I view it.

Quote:
What if we already own MediaCenter. Will we be able to do somesort of license swap? In other words, I don't want to have to shell out another $80 when I build a WHS box and want to make it a SageServer as well. (I only want 1 box on 24/7).
You'll probably want to email SageTV about that. I don't recall if the SageTV Media Center and SageTV WHS licenses are interchangeable or not.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just got my WHS box setup this week and plan on migrating Sage from my livingroom box to my WHS box.

What do I need to backup on my existing box and copy over to my WHS box so I don't lose all of my Favorites?

I'm thinking wiz.bin or something like that, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
That's a question I'd like answered too.

Quote:
What do I need to backup on my existing box and copy over to my WHS box so I don't lose all of my Favorites?
As for what to copy the wiz.bin is the biggest one. Probably don't want to move the properties file as some of the entries may not play well with the new system.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Regarding the licenses, you CAN swap the licenses around between Sage Windows, and SageWHS - as long as it isn't an 'upgrade' license. If you have an older license (pre version 6.x) you'd normally be presented with the screen to enter your license and then be prompted for the upgrade key. Well, SageWHS doesn't have the mechanism to prompt for the upgrade key (It will tell you that your pre-v6 key is invalid and never give you the chance to enter the upgrade key.

I emailed Sage support and was told that WHS doesn't currently support an upgrade install. I had to buy a new license, but it works for either version.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post

I'm thinking wiz.bin or something like that, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right. Look up the Sage FAQ on how to move to another machine for the details to follow to avoid messing up your database. Wiz.bin is the only file you need to copy into the new install on the WHS - in addition to moving all recordings, of course.
I expect that you plan to keep your old PC, the recordings can be copied from this to the new WHS box. If you consider to reuse the HDs in the WHS, add them after you've successfully migrated SageTV (WHS formats drives when you add them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
Regarding the licenses, you CAN swap the licenses around between Sage Windows, and SageWHS - as long as it isn't an 'upgrade' license. ... I emailed Sage support and was told that WHS doesn't currently support an upgrade install. I had to buy a new license, but it works for either version.
-PGPfan
Well - I succeeded. SageTV on the WHS console complained when I first added my ver 2.x license, but when I then added the upgrade right afterwards I succeeded. I've actually done that twice since I've already managed to mess my WHS server up pretty badly - decided to reinstall after having performance issues and done a disk check with the Toolkit plugin for WHS. The report had a massive amount of error messages, and by searching for the message I found this:Windows Home Server Drive Extender. Do read some good advice in the WHS documentation like this PDF - things you are used to (like scheduling defrag and on) may not be that clever with WHS. Anyway: I think PGPfan should ask for a refund - I may of course have been lucky, but since I managed to succeed twice ...