SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

New Google Fiber Box?

I just read about a new google fiber box...not much for us sage people, but interesting just the same...what are the chances it could be released into the general public?

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014...er-tv-box.html
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

Looks a little like a Sage HD100....

I suspect under that hood you'll find a lot of similar architecture to a Sage extender (and not by coincidence)... though obviously this would be a Sage HD400 or 500 or 600 by now, with more bells and whistles and newer, faster hardware.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
I just read about a new google fiber box...not much for us sage people, but interesting just the same...what are the chances it could be released into the general public?

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014...er-tv-box.html
Chances seem slim to me. Looks like Android TV is Google's choice for the non-Google Fiber crowd. I think the android TV could include tuners and even DVR capabilities though and who knows what that might look like. For all I know Jeff & company might be somehow somewhere involved with the Android TV, although he's never said that to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Looks a little like a Sage HD100....

I suspect under that hood you'll find a lot of similar architecture to a Sage extender (and not by coincidence)... though obviously this would be a Sage HD400 or 500 or 600 by now, with more bells and whistles and newer, faster hardware.
Hardware might be a little similar, but the real similarities to SageTV are software. I see a merger of sorts of GoogleFiberTV (SageTV) and AndroidTV down the road. Perhaps whatever happens there could go beyond Google Fiber.

By the way, I found info on this back in April, posted it on Google+ to the SageTV circle back then. Dave Zatz found the FCC info on it, talked to me about it some and then blogged about it the same day he found it. It makes me crazy that people link to the folks who regurgitate the original blog post by ZatzNotFunny, but I know that's the way the internuts work.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

possible to connect new box to original sagetv server?

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 07-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

It ain't gonna happen, old Sage is what it is. Done.

Next year the new thread will be made, it's been 4 years....

2xhd300
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
The problem is that I don't think there is any legitimate way to get a Google Fiber TV box unless you subscribe to the service. They're google owned, right?

And if you already have Google Fiber, the utility of being able to get your GFTV box talking to your legacy SageTV server is diminished, since you'll be getting most of your content via GFTV anyway.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
The problem is that I don't think there is any legitimate way to get a Google Fiber TV box unless you subscribe to the service. They're google owned, right?

And if you already have Google Fiber, the utility of being able to get your GFTV box talking to your legacy SageTV server is diminished, since you'll be getting most of your content via GFTV anyway.

Drew
It might be possible, but I don't have the skills to figure out how. I still have my SageTV server running and when I fire up my HD300 it sees both my SageTV server AND the Google Fiber Network box, but it doesn't seem to be able (blocked?) to do more than see that Google Fiber Network box.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It might be possible, but I don't have the skills to figure out how. I still have my SageTV server running and when I fire up my HD300 it sees both my SageTV server AND the Google Fiber Network box, but it doesn't seem to be able (blocked?) to do more than see that Google Fiber Network box.
Unfortunately that's the opposite of what we need... we don't need the HD300 to see the GF, we need the GF STB to see the Sage server (so as to provide an alternative once Sage extenders die of old age).

I mean, not that there wouldn't be benefits of the Sage extenders working on GF, I guess... but the Sage extenders are on life support and GF is still an infant...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Unfortunately that's the opposite of what we need... we don't need the HD300 to see the GF, we need the GF STB to see the Sage server (so as to provide an alternative once Sage extenders die of old age).

I mean, not that there wouldn't be benefits of the Sage extenders working on GF, I guess... but the Sage extenders are on life support and GF is still an infant...
I might be wrong, but I think the GF STB does see the SageTV server - that's all it does (sees it), but I'm pretty sure it does. I'll check tonight and report back.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I might be wrong, but I think the GF STB does see the SageTV server - that's all it does (sees it), but I'm pretty sure it does. I'll check tonight and report back.
Okay so I checked and I was in fact mistaken. The GF STB does not see (or tell me it sees at least) the SageTV server.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 PM
SageTVaholic

@Brent - Did you ever do a blog post comparing SageTV and the DVR functionality of Google Fiber?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
It should be possible to do using the open source code at https://code.google.com/p/gfiber/ but installing unsigned code involves clearing out the keys so you can't go back.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
It should be possible to do using the open source code at https://code.google.com/p/gfiber/ but installing unsigned code involves clearing out the keys so you can't go back.
Dang it. So tempting...