SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
The route further to me is making a universal windows 10 app that access sagetv (more of just a new front end that access's sagetv as backend). To me that would be all I need as it would give me great cheap intel (ie hp stream) extender access.
And that would, presumably, allow you to create an Xbox One client since it is supposed to become pretty easy to port universal Windows applications to the XB1.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Sage User

Jar for windows

Can someone that has already compiled Sage in Linux make the core jar available to try to modify the previous windows installer with it. We just need to replace the jar correct?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Cannot help with coding. But I surely can help with testing. If need be, I'm willing to build another server to help with the testing.
DITTO!!!
I have a fairly robust set up at home. VM Servers and NAS arrays etc.. I'm not too fluent in working with linux.. but am eager to learn.

I can help with testing for all windows products and OS platforms, with existing SageTV V7 and HD 200's and 300's

I also have several Android devices to play with.. GBOXMidnight MX2 &MX3, Xios DS, XIOS XS, Amazon Fire, and other devices Roku 3, Apple TV2 etc.

Let me know
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Scoobz View Post
Can someone that has already compiled Sage in Linux make the core jar available to try to modify the previous windows installer with it. We just need to replace the jar correct?
Check the YouTube Plugin thread here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=90

This is the 1st plugin that makes use of the new features, so he posted the two jar files for Sage v9.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Check the YouTube Plugin thread here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=90

This is the 1st plugin that makes use of the new features, so he posted the two jar files for Sage v9.
If you do that make sure you do it to all PC Clients also as they will not connect. There really isn't anything new ... I guess the only real change you might see is the change to the DB.?

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-13-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If you do that make sure you do it to all PC Clients also as they will not connect. There really isn't anything new ... I guess the only real change you might see is the change to the DB.?
Correct. Although there are new things in the Sage.jar the functionality is not used. The only exception to that (and the reason I put the post in the YouTube thread) is that there is a change that allows the YouTube plugin to do progressive playback of YouTube videos.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
They did not release an updated STV (this is what creates the UI or "skin") with Sage 9. So, visually it will look the same, but may run a little faster / smoother. Here's my summary of the change log:

1. They made it "open source", so license restrictions are removed, anyone can look at the source code, and people are free to use the source code to make new versions of Sage (to add features or fix bugs or whatever).
  2. They made a bunch of "bug fixes" and "efficiency improvements". Not clear exactly what these are, but it's possible that for people upgrading from Sage 7 it will just work a little better/faster/smoother. Sage 7 was already pretty stable, but its possible this will help alleviate some strange quirks that people have seen.
  3. They added a bunch of new API calls. Most of these are related to metadata (such as getting and setting information about the actors in a show). Unfortunately, it sounds like most of these new functions will only work if Google Fiber TV is providing the EPG data. For those of us using the standard Sage EPG data (or other plugins like Schedules Direct), these probably won't do anything (unless someone makes additional changes to the Open Source Sage in the future). Even if they worked, they would require someone to update the STV file to make use of them.
  4. They added some new hooks. Again, STV file would need to be updated to take advantage of them.
  5. Going forward, developers creating custom STV files or other plugins may be able to take advantage of some of these changes to allow them to provide new features that they couldn't offer with Sage 7 (for example the new YouTube plugin needs Sage 9 to support progressive playback).
  6. Further in the future, developers will be able to modify Sage 9 (and make Sage 9.1 or Sage 10 or whatever) that could offer new features or bug fixes.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-13-2015, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

So, with the source opened up, i was able to alter the user-agent that Sage uses. By spoofing XBMC's user-agent, PlayOn now sends 720p, so that's a good level of success. Requires a sage.jar from v9, which seems to break some other things (looks like gemstone doesn't like v9 yet - haven't looked into that one yet). But yeah for being a few steps closer to a new feature as a result of open sourced sagetv!

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
By spoofing XBMC's user-agent, PlayOn now sends 720p, so that's a good level of success.
Is this a custom build of the jar? I didn't see where your commit allowed for spoofing the UA - only using the default Java UA or a Sage UA via the new property.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I have't pulled it to the master - it's not how I want to be able to do the spoofing. Ideally, Sage should default to it's own UA "SageTV/9.0.3" for instance. I am trying to get PlayOn to add that UA to their white-list. In the mean-time, for testing, i made one that allows a custom UA and duplicated XBMC's UA for it (to make sure that once the whitelist is fixed, this will work). The next thing i want to do in the sage.jar is to allow the UA (and other request properties) to be set specifically for an individual call to download a file. That way, if a given service needs to spoof a UA to make it work right, it can for that service alone. Otherwise, it would use either the 'Java/x.x.x_xx' UA or the "SageTV/x.x.x", depending on a properties setting.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I have't pulled it to the master - it's not how I want to be able to do the spoofing. Ideally, Sage should default to it's own UA "SageTV/9.0.3" for instance. I am trying to get PlayOn to add that UA to their white-list. In the mean-time, for testing, i made one that allows a custom UA and duplicated XBMC's UA for it (to make sure that once the whitelist is fixed, this will work). The next thing i want to do in the sage.jar is to allow the UA (and other request properties) to be set specifically for an individual call to download a file. That way, if a given service needs to spoof a UA to make it work right, it can for that service alone. Otherwise, it would use either the 'Java/x.x.x_xx' UA or the "SageTV/x.x.x", depending on a properties setting.
I actually just got a response from PlayOn, and they are actually intending on opening up the HD streams to any generic client, and getting rid of the white-list - so we would have had HD at that point anyway...

Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hey Fuzzy, Did you test the new Sage.jar on your server with Gemstone as well? I only tested the client and found that it wasn't working well. Planned to test the server tonight but if you've already tried and know it doesn't work I won't even bother.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I put it on my server and client, and both choked on gemstone, kicking back to the SageTV7 stv. However, after restarting each instance, and disabling the gemstone plugin, restarting again, and reenabling it, it appears to be working fine. Really not sure what the deal was, but I'm happy so far.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Sage User

Free Visual Studio?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a developer, but this might help with compiling a Windows version: https://www.visualstudio.com/product...o-community-vs
Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomrie View Post
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a developer, but this might help with compiling a Windows version: https://www.visualstudio.com/product...o-community-vs
The projects would have to be upgraded to be compatible and any bugs worked out from the upgrade.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM
SageTVaholic

vs 2005 express should be able to compile it, but the solution will need a lot of work to make up for the missing items. At least 4 projects were removed, and I couldn't get the include paths set up right for some reason. A project attempt for another day it would seem.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

It sounds to me like initially all we really need for the windows side is an upgrade installation as opposed to a full installer. Prerequisite of 7.19 or whatever was the last release. All it would need to do is verify Sage is closed, prompt for the now optional product key (and create the environmental variable if they have a key), determine the existing installation path and drop the files over the existing ones. There are several simple installer creation programs or this could be accomplished with 7zip and AutoIt or even just a batch file.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
It sounds to me like initially all we really need for the windows side is an upgrade installation as opposed to a full installer. Prerequisite of 7.19 or whatever was the last release. All it would need to do is verify Sage is closed, prompt for the now optional product key (and create the environmental variable if they have a key), determine the existing installation path and drop the files over the existing ones. There are several simple installer creation programs or this could be accomplished with 7zip and AutoIt or even just a batch file.
I think Fuzzy meant the Windows Launchers SageTV.exe or SageTVService.exe. They run and then load the Sage.jar and other classes. The launchers are VS 2005 projects according to the source code.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

I can't tell precisely as I haven't dug too deeply into it, but if we are coding an upgrade/installer, you likely don't need to use an environment variable for the key. It appears the key is hashed and stored in the properties file, and that is where it is used. Our upgrade/installation bit could likely just do the hashing and store it in the properties, and call it a day. I'm always against environment variables if I can avoid them.

There should be no reason the key couldn't also be entered in the sage UI in the future as well, as part of setting up the EPG. (choose the Sage EPG, and you'll be prompted to enter a key, or choose Schedules Direct, and you'll be prompted for your SD credentials).

EDIT: This is wrong.. :-)

Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-14-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
I can't tell precisely as I haven't dug too deeply into it, but if we are coding an upgrade/installer, you likely don't need to use an environment variable for the key. It appears the key is hashed and stored in the properties file, and that is where it is used. Our upgrade/installation bit could likely just do the hashing and store it in the properties, and call it a day. I'm always against environment variables if I can avoid them.

There should be no reason the key couldn't also be entered in the sage UI in the future as well, as part of setting up the EPG. (choose the Sage EPG, and you'll be prompted to enter a key, or choose Schedules Direct, and you'll be prompted for your SD credentials).
The key is NOT hashed and stored in the properties file. The way it works on both platforms is that its passed into the JVM as 'system property'. This works on Windows by taking it from an environment variable (the license protection system worked that way by putting things into environment variables..which is why its done that way). I don't have opposition to changing how it's done...but I would be against having it stored in the properties file since quite often people post their properties files in the forum.