SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 AM
SageTVaholic

With Sage remaining my primary for as long as I can use it, I'll be available for years, most likely - honestly though I don't know how much actual TIME I can commit to it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Sage User

I'd like to help out as well, but in reality not sure how much actual time I'll have to give. I'm more of an embedded guy with C/C++, so I'll probably end up in the extender realm if anything ever comes of it. But code, is code and Java isn't too far off. Just excited to get a look at the code.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 PM
SageTVaholic

I am in the same boat as others. I left Sagetv mainly because of encrypted cable card support. There are times I miss it for sure. With the announcement of open source I am definitely going to give it a look and take the wait and see what the community does first approach. I have to admit Kodi/plex combo is going to be hard to leave for movies. WMC sucks for tv but I have it integrated into kodi pretty well so it isn't to bad.

Projects I am willing to pitch in on would be as follows

Support of streamers (mainly roku to start)

but like I said it's going to be hard to get me away from plex so maybe some integration back to sage from plex would be a good project too (much like plex for kodi does pulls all file and watch status from plex into kodi)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I have to admit Kodi/plex combo is going to be hard to leave for movies. WMC sucks for tv but I have it integrated into kodi pretty well so it isn't to bad.
There was this awesome movies plugin a dev wrote for SageTV awhile back...if I could only remember his name...I think it started with PL and ended with an HD.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
There was this awesome movies plugin a dev wrote for SageTV awhile back...if I could only remember his name...I think it started with PL and ended with an HD.
Ha ya I heard he went crazy and is locked up

In all seriousness Sage resparked my interest in programming years ago and without it I wouldn't be where I am today in my career goals. I also sadly don't have the free time I did, but L I did reinstall sagetv today so my interest is there waiting to give the code a look
Old 03-17-2015, 07:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
There are lots of aspects to open source projects (coding being a core part, but not the only part). Testing and Documentation is another big part of it, and it's something that many developers tend to skimp on So, I'm sure there a role for anyone that wants to help.
Happy to help, on the user level anyways. Let me know how when the time comes.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I too do not have tons of free time but will certainly be joining in on reviewing the code, ensuring Gemstone works with 8.x and then heading wherever this new ride takes us.

I still use Sage everyday and it does everything I need it too but it's always nice to spend time on a hobby on something that has growing interest...and it looks like we may be heading back in that direction.

k
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Hey, Jeff, any chance you could talk to Google about bringing back 8-track tapes and Firefly?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Hey, Jeff, any chance you could talk to Google about bringing back 8-track tapes and Firefly?
LoL
Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And The Beatles.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Sage User

I'd be in for helping to test things. Been a long time user of sage, and had been dreading the day I had to find something else.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Lol...I actually just watched Firefly (Netflix) and Serenity (SageTV DVR) recently...pretty cool show...but I don't want to diverge this thread into a discussion on Firefly.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

I am not a programmer but am more than willing to contribute to the development team in other ways.

I am willing and anxious to test new additions and features.

I would be happy to purchase newer tuners for OTA recording and capture recording from STBs - For example, tuners/capture devices like the Hauppauge 2250 replacements, Colossus 2 and HDPVR2. I would be willing to buy one of each and have shipped to the developers so they have have units to work with. Hauppauge is just an example. If there is community interest in tuners/capture devices from other manufactures making similar OTA and HDMI capture cards, I would consider them as well if they might suit my own needs.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 03-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Sage Icon

I'll be taking a wait and see approach to this open source announcement.

• I use Sage every day as my primary viewing platform and still check in on the forums several times a week, so exited to hear that it could be getting some new life.
  • I'm definitely not a professional coder, but I have tinkered with several programming languages over the years (more as a hobby). Never did much with Java, but I did do some embedded ANSI-C programming many years ago.
  • I don't think I will have enough time to do anything major, but definitely plan to take a look at things once the OS project gets released. I'm guessing I may find some small/simple tweaks that are within my capabilities to handle.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-18-2015, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Jeff,

Can you give us a heads up on the development environment? What tools are needed to build the system? I'd like to get a head start on putting the environment together.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
I would be happy to purchase newer tuners for OTA recording and capture recording from STBs - For example, tuners/capture devices like the Hauppauge 2250 replacements, Colossus 2 and HDPVR2. I would be willing to buy one of each and have shipped to the developers so they have have units to work with.
Ditto. Since about all I can contribute is money, that would be an option for me too. I'm sure Sage back in the day had the money to have all the available tuners laying around for development, but as an open-source project people will be working out of their homes. I wouldn't want the cost of development hardware to be an issue for any talented developers.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
There are lots of aspects to open source projects (coding being a core part, but not the only part). Testing and Documentation is another big part of it, and it's something that many developers tend to skimp on So, I'm sure there a role for anyone that wants to help.
I was just thinking of mentioning this. While I'm not able to do any coding I am more than happy to do testing and documentation. As for donating I'm also more than willing to do that.

2xhd300
Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
I was just thinking of mentioning this. While I'm not able to do any coding I am more than happy to do testing and documentation. As for donating I'm also more than willing to do that.
Same here. It's been a while since I had an excuse to tinker with SageTV. I'm hoping those who have the necessary coding experience will give me that excuse soon .
Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage User

I'm willing to test and write when needed.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
WMC sucks for tv but I have it integrated into kodi pretty well so it isn't to bad.
He old buddy ! Can you watch the encrypted channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) channels in Kodi too?? I thought it had to be a protected path end to end...
Check out TVExplorer