SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I've not had an issue with slow startups since I discovered that using the Home command soft powers on my HD200 rather than the On/Off command which does a full power on.
+1.

My problem is when the kids leave on an extender in the basement or the power blinks when no one is home and we don't realize it (I still have one extender without a UPS), and then we turn on another one or two and get an OOM crash.

I have actually replaced a few extenders in seldom-used locations (guest room, kids playroom) with HD100s because they have the hard power switch on the back. We keep them completely off most of the time.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
So that would be running on 64 bit Windows, wouldn't it? Since 32 bit Windows can only have 4GB of memory.
Not necessarily, as by maintaining SageTV as a 32bit app you could still use the same build on a 32bit OS with the same memory constraints you have currently, but you would have needed to be running 64bit OS to use 64bit Java anyway.

I was only trying to highlight that 64bit Java is not necessarily the silver bullet to fix the heap issues. There are reasons why horizontally scaling in 32bit Java might be a more attractive solution

Quote:
They wouldn't need 1.5GB ach - about 500MB should suffice.
I was using maximum sizes to emphasize the point. I do use 1.2GB on my server since the size of my wiz.bin went crazy recently.

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 03-28-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
+1.

My problem is when the kids leave on an extender in the basement or the power blinks when no one is home and we don't realize it (I still have one extender without a UPS), and then we turn on another one or two and get an OOM crash.

I have actually replaced a few extenders in seldom-used locations (guest room, kids playroom) with HD100s because they have the hard power switch on the back. We keep them completely off most of the time.
Weird, whenever the power goes out here my HD200 powers itself back on.

I don't have any of our AV gear on UPS's. Surge protectors, yes, but I don't see the point in putting UPS's everywhere. A surge that's going to try stuff through a surge protector is going to do the same through a UPS.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Weird, whenever the power goes out here my HD200 powers itself back on.

I don't have any of our AV gear on UPS's. Surge protectors, yes, but I don't see the point in putting UPS's everywhere. A surge that's going to try stuff through a surge protector is going to do the same through a UPS.
That's what I meant, when the power blinks, all of the extenders (200s and 300s) turn on. So when I go to turn on another one (without knowing those are already on), I sometimes run into the memory issues. Otherwise, I keep them off (soft off, not unplugged).

In several areas, I had equipment I wanted protected and just got low-end APC UPS units. It prevents stuff from resetting (and extenders turning on) when the power blinks. My neighborhood (knock on wood, it's spring storm time) rarely loses power for more than a few minutes, often it's less than 10 seconds, so they were worth it to not need to worry about various items.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
+1.

There is a plugin to automatically power down extenders after an adjustable amount of inactivity. See here.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've not had an issue with slow startups since I discovered that using the Home command soft powers on my HD200 rather than the On/Off command which does a full power on.
I was not aware of this. What is the difference between the two?

Does Home automatically reconnect to your last Sage server?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was not aware of this. What is the difference between the two?

Does Home automatically reconnect to your last Sage server?
The difference is pretty huge. I assume it will just connect to the last server. I'm not even sure the time difference. By the time everything cycles on and the TV syncs to the HDMI it's at the main menu. That vs about 30 seconds to a minute for it to fully boot and auto connect to the server.

Edit: I use a Harmony remote to power everything on.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I use Harmony remotes as well - I guess you just went in and customized the button sequence so that the Sage command Home is sent out rather than Power Toggle?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I use Harmony remotes as well - I guess you just went in and customized the button sequence so that the Sage command Home is sent out rather than Power Toggle?
Yes
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Would it be possible to update the main Sagetv.com webpage, to include an update or comment about SageTV going open source? Anyone who might happen to wander back to SageTV without visiting the forum might be unaware of Narflex's recent announcement. May I suggest:

"We’re thrilled to announce that Google has agreed to open source the SageTV platform!"
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi

I can't code and am not that rich. How does moral support and thanks sound?

In all seriousness, if funding is necessary, we could look at patreon, kickstarter or indiegogo.

As a programming outsider I would say one thing about the direction you take (I say this because I see so many coders that assume everyone else is as computer literate as they are). Sagetv and sagetv client are going to be free soon. Being $free is going to attract new people to sagetv ( especially from media portal, wmc and npvr ). For new people to commit serious attention to sagetv we need a clear, easy web-presence ( not some code repository where we ask people to compile their own code ). We need an easy setup-guide/procedure and I think the simplicity of having only one official version ( there can be plenty of unofficial forks etc but we should keep it simple for new people coming to sagetv.). In short we should make sure that the sagetv system is an easy system to enter with few barriers, be they technical ability or sheer bewildering complexity.

EDIT: I know this is not exactly what's being asked but could I also suggest sagetv wiki. There is a lot of good advice, tips and hints on a variety of topics but it might be helpful to have it in a more structured, more easily searched format. I wouldn't negate the forums, we still need a place to ask questions and the forums would probably be the primary reference for the wiki.

Last edited by matterofrecord; 03-31-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
Would it be possible to update the main Sagetv.com webpage, to include an update or comment about SageTV going open source? Anyone who might happen to wander back to SageTV without visiting the forum might be unaware of Narflex's recent announcement. May I suggest:

"We’re thrilled to announce that Google has agreed to open source the SageTV platform!"
Good idea...updated.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Another feature I had pretty much written off along time ago due to inability to get to the guts of the filter graph, is 3D playback capabilities.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage Expert

Here's a dumb question:

I've got a Matricom MX2 ARM-based Android box that I flashed with Openelec (Linux/Kodi). Basically it's a Kodi/XBMC standalone box.

What's the likelyhood that a form of Linux similar to what Openelec runs could be used to compile the Linux SageTV client to essentially have a SageTV client standalone box? Is it too early to speculate without the source? Unbranded versions of these can be had for around $50 on Ebay and have been able to play everything that I've wanted to play on them.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Here's a dumb question:

I've got a Matricom MX2 ARM-based Android box that I flashed with Openelec (Linux/Kodi). Basically it's a Kodi/XBMC standalone box.

What's the likelyhood that a form of Linux similar to what Openelec runs could be used to compile the Linux SageTV client to essentially have a SageTV client standalone box? Is it too early to speculate without the source? Unbranded versions of these can be had for around $50 on Ebay and have been able to play everything that I've wanted to play on them.
Since we're speculating, I'd say the chance are good that an Android box running Linux could work as a SageTV client. The question becomes how well would it perform and does it matter to you that it may not support HD audio? There is also the larger problem of updates for running Openelec on a device if they don't support it. While the pricepoint may be attractive, for these reasons a Chromebox or RPi2 would be better choices as a SageTV client.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
Since we're speculating, I'd say the chance are good that an Android box running Linux could work as a SageTV client. The question becomes how well would it perform and does it matter to you that it may not support HD audio? There is also the larger problem of updates for running Openelec on a device if they don't support it. While I understand the pricepoint may be attractive but for these reasons as a SageTV client, a Chromebox or RPi2 would be better choices.
Not worried about HD audio at all. I've been running openelec on this box for close to a year now. The dev who ported it is very active and it will hopefully become a supported device. I've had no problems with playback of my recorded MPEG2s from Sage and the nPVR pvr addon works without problem for watching LiveTV. I'd like to not have to run nPVR at all if a Sage pvr addon is created.

I once used an RPi for XBMC and it was a horrible experience compared to this MX2. Perhaps the RPi2 is better, but I'll take a wait-and-see on that due to my poor impression of the previous version.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What's the likelyhood that a form of Linux similar to what Openelec runs could be used to compile the Linux SageTV client to essentially have a SageTV client standalone box? Is it too early to speculate without the source?
In the general sense, there's really no issue. There's already a linux placeshifter:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56137

The only thing really stopping anything today is the unavailability of licenses.

Going farther there are two things that make it more difficult. Firstly is playback quality, I haven't tried the Linux placeshifter, but if it's like "normal" placeshifter, the quality is not up to Windows dshow. But Linux playback has come a long way since SageTV was bought (look at OpenELEC).

The other difficulty is ARM. That would require recompiling the native code, and probably some modifications.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I once used an RPi for XBMC and it was a horrible experience compared to this MX2. Perhaps the RPi2 is better, but I'll take a wait-and-see on that due to my poor impression of the previous version.
The Pi2 is much better. Things in the menu that used to take 20-30 seconds of waiting on the old Pi now takes 2 seconds. I have 2 of them (upgraded from the old Pi) with OpenElec and they are a pleasure to use. Doesn't feel that much different from my Intel i3 box running Kodi 14.2 on Win7.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

While I prefer Chromebox over Android box running Openelec in part for the reasons above (yes I have both), an Android box does open a lot of possibilities as a SageTV client. As discussed in the other thread, an Android SageTV app would allow one of these generic Android boxes to function as both a client and run online streaming apps, which would be an advantage over NUC, Chromebox or RPi2.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Why couldn't you run online streaming apps on a NUC? Especially if you use Win 8.1 or Win 10 as I think there are Metro apps for the main streaming services? Or you could also do them through a browser on a NUC.