SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I was very interesting in this when the news first came out about its pending release.
I'm still interested, but cautiously. The couple reviews I've read haven't been all that good. I'm waiting to see more reviews and hopefully one centered around media rather than computing tasks and games, which seem to be the main focus of the few reviews I've read so far.

If it will work out for running SageTV on then it would be great as something to throw in your bag for travel.
Since it still needs an AC adapter (can't be powered via HDMI!), that kind of blows the smallness out of the water. To me the only saving grace is the price, not the size.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I was very interesting in this when the news first came out about its pending release.
I'm still interested, but cautiously. The couple reviews I've read haven't been all that good. I'm waiting to see more reviews and hopefully one centered around media rather than computing tasks and games, which seem to be the main focus of the few reviews I've read so far.

If it will work out for running SageTV on then it would be great as something to throw in your bag for travel.
There was a review on anandtech yesterday that didn't look too good for htpc use: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9167/i...e-stick-review

Video rendering maxed out the GPU with lots of typical content.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Andrew did a nice review of one at missing remote. It doesn't look like this generation would make a good extender.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
There was a review on anandtech yesterday that didn't look too good for htpc use: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9167/i...e-stick-review

Video rendering maxed out the GPU with lots of typical content.
As I had feared.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Glad I decided to check the forum today. Great news. I just hope we can get all the talented devs back.

I guess I need to make a list of the things I'd like to see come out of this.

Sage does 90% of what I need it to and Plex does the rest. If I could get the playback aspects of sage fixed (or had the ability to integrate LAV splitter/decoders) instead of what is built into Sage I'd have no complaints.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any word when this baby is going open-source? Is it going to be before Christmas this year?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanjoe View Post
Any word when this baby is going open-source? Is it going to be before Christmas this year?
In one of the initial posts Jeff says "months, not years". That was about a month ago. Your guess is as good as mine but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't open sourced well before Christmas.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
In one of the initial posts Jeff says "months, not years". That was about a month ago. Your guess is as good as mine but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't open sourced well before Christmas.
I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen around June. That would be four years since the Google acquisition I believe.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 05-03-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

CopyOnce capability

Has there been any information provided about Copy protected content for the opensource project? Looking to record from a HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard tuner) and Charter in my area has a lot of CopyOnce flags on channels.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

There hasn't been, but Copy Once content requires DRM support (eg Microsoft Playready or DTCP-IP for example). I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's "impossible" to implement DRM in an Open Source software project, but it's certainly difficult, probably impractical and certainly unlikely.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Sage User

SageTV user since, at least, 2007.

I'm in! I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening fast enough

Anyway, I'm in for at least 3 extenders and I can help test and debug stuff

Also, kickstarter may be a decent way for all of us to get new extenders. I'm sure that will follow, once everything is released and we see if existing boxes can be used. No raspberry pi's for me. Give me serious horsepower

ETA: Almost broke my neck resetting my login stuff to get back in here. Not a problem, I just mean I was super excited when I found out!
If the "forks" don't go crazy, I would say that Sage can make a huge comeback! I definitely want it to.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Sage User

So freaking excited! Not sure how I missed this announcement, but stoked for this to be out and moving forward.

Still using Sage daily on three screens for 9 years and counting, with no plans to move away from it yet. My only concern has been more extenders when mine finally kick the bucket, so I'm glad to see everyone else is on the same page trying to figure out a new hardware solution.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Sage User

So excited that this is going OpenSource. May need to get some additional tuners to set up as a QA / Test system.
Clients: 3x HD200
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemakerpro View Post
So freaking excited! Not sure how I missed this announcement, but stoked for this to be out and moving forward.
Easy your spent to much time sleeping a the keyboard that how
Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemakerpro View Post

Still using Sage daily on three screens for 9 years and counting, with no plans to move away from it yet. My only concern has been more extenders when mine finally kick the bucket, so I'm glad to see everyone else is on the same page trying to figure out a new hardware solution.
You might want the check the forums. Andy is selling more extenders (if there are any available).
Old 05-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Sage User

Quote:

I have 2 of these - the Chinese Meego version that dual boots Android & Win 8.1. We're currently using one with XBMC for streaming, browsing, etc. So far there have been no problems and the WAF is great. 32 gig of storage onboard is plenty. A 4 port hub allows use of an ethernet-USB adapter (no wireless), a cheap Windows Media Center remote and keyboard. It has native Bluetooth which we use for headphones. Picture and performance is very good. Haven't installed SageTV yet because it's currently installed on another PC/TV and we stream TV from that, but I do plan to move Sage over in the near future.

I've tried everything starting with old XBOX's years ago to purpose-built HTPC's, to FireTV's. So far this is the best. For $115 it's cheap, small, performs well, and much more versatile than a dedicated streaming box.

And I can't wait to see SageTV open source! None of the other PVR software that I've tried over the years works half as well as SageTV.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wow this is great news! I have been a Sage user for 10 years, joined in 2005 and I think the version was 2.x. Sage was my main TV system for the family for close to 8 of the 10 years. I held on as long as I could but with the limited supply of extenders available after the sale, I decided to move to another system. My current setup which works pretty well is a Windows 7 WMC backend with OpenElec RPI-2's on all of my TV's (5). The choice to move to RPI-2-s was the size, I could leave them on all the time, easy WMC remote configuration and able to backup the SD card for recovery. My family's daily viewing habits are not that extravagant so this works for us. However, with Sage going open source, my nextgen setup would be a system with Sage as the backend and reuse the RPi-2's as extenders. I agree the RPI-2's are not the fastest but they are able to carry the load for what my family does on a daily basis.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Where I never looked into development for Sage, I have a silly question...

What parts of SageTV are Visual Studio bound and what parts are Java bound? I am assuming due to being able to run SageTV on Linux that the lion's share is in Java.

As for platforms for clients, I think targeting the Mini-PC space is the better overall choice as they are widely available in x86 and x64, they are small, can be had for as little as $150 and many are in the $200 to $400 price space. Best of all, maintaining primary focus on x86/64 means that people can still reuse their existing hardware and new people can try it out on their PCs and laptops with a lot more ease than if they had to start hunting down RBPis or other esoteric hardware that would further alienate people.

Now I know that at the start, things will clearly be x86/64 but I think that the primary focus for clients should remain on that platform for the most obvious reason that we will have access to hardware for that architecture for decades to come.

I will modestly offer to help on the Visual Studio side of things as I do write in it at work but for office environment type applications so nothing media related. I do have a full MSDN sub so I have all the versions of Studio at my disposal. I also have enough PC hardware and laptops about to be able to set up a testing environment over and above my still operating SageTV 7 kit.

I guess in the long run, this could finally make me bother to learn Java
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Why not raspberry pi? Personally I wish the iPhone app could just use chromecast.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlinegeek View Post
I guess in the long run, this could finally make me bother to learn Java
The long run is where you're headed, at least around here.