SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
If I went crazy and decided to move to a Linux server would my SageTV for Windows key work for EPG access?
No, the keys are different and not interchangable.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I believe he's talking about using the Open Source (v9) version of Sage, where the license key is only used for EPG access. Any license key SHOULD be working for that, and it shouldn't matter what system OS it is coming from.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage User

Windows Install

So right now there is only a version for Linux. Is there a way to install it on windows?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

There is nothing stopping it from being compiled for windows, as far as I know, it just takes many tools to do so, and there is not currently a nice clean script to automate the task.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
There is nothing stopping it from being compiled for windows, as far as I know, it just takes many tools to do so, and there is not currently a nice clean script to automate the task.
But it build with Visual Studio 2005
Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
But it build with Visual Studio 2005
Parts of it are built with VS 2005. Parts are compiled with mingw. Then the java bits are compiled separately.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

It's too bad Jeff couldn't put together an (Windows) installer with some free tool because it seems like it will take someone quite a while to figure out and build all the parts that need to be part of the installation.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Parts of it are built with VS 2005. Parts are compiled with mingw. Then the java bits are compiled separately.
And now I have headache
Old 08-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
And now I have headache
+1.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're willing to live dangerously, and the comments I've read are right, you could grab the jar from the compiled linux version and drop it in an existing Windows install.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Windows development, for the most part, sucks... it sucked a lot more in 2003 before .net came out. In any case, the biggest hurdle is java running in a virtual machine, and then interfacing with hardware outside said virtual machine, which is the reason for the huge mix of languages.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Scoobz View Post
So right now there is only a version for Linux. Is there a way to install it on windows?
Yes and no. Most of the core functionality of Sage is contained in the Sage.jar file. You can build the jar under linux and then use it in a Windows install. (replacing the existing Sage.jar.)

See here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=62252&page=9

Post #90

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Actually...it would work. The EPG server doesn't care what client you are on. It just cares about a valid key. All you'd need to do is put your SageTV license key in a file called 'activkey' in the same folder as your SageTV install. You can deduce that by looking at the 'startsage' and 'startsagecore' startup scripts for it.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
It's too bad Jeff couldn't put together an (Windows) installer with some free tool because it seems like it will take someone quite a while to figure out and build all the parts that need to be part of the installation.
Exactly why I didn't have the time to do it either myself right now.

All the DLL, EXE and AX files should build fine (I verified this before the release). The JAR file is the same for both platforms....the script that builds the JAR file on Linux can easily be adapted to Windows...or just load it all up in NetBeans (then exclude the files it complains about, such as the ones left in there for Mac) and compile it all up.

For the other bits (such as mplayer, ffmpeg, freetype/imageloader JNI libs)..we didn't build those every release, and only did when they changed...so we generally just kept around the prior binaries and reused them (which you can get out of the V7 SageTV installs easily or from your current setup). ALTHOUGH I do believe some things may have changed in the freetype/imageloader JNI interfaces, so you probably would need to recompile those with mingw....but you could try it, and if it fails, it'll tell you pretty clearly about it.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question on the key for EPG Data. Would you need to use the first key you got ie my sage version 2 key or would I use the version upgrade key in that file. The reason I ask is I know some people have been having problems finding there original keys.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Question on the key for EPG Data. Would you need to use the first key you got ie my sage version 2 key or would I use the version upgrade key in that file. The reason I ask is I know some people have been having problems finding there original keys.
Either one should work...if they don't...just send me a PM and I'll verify the key and then enable it.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
The EPG server doesn't care what client you are on. It just cares about a valid key. All you'd need to do is put your SageTV license key in a file called 'activkey' in the same folder as your SageTV install.
To clarify: existing users with a valid license key (version doesn't matter) who want to upgrade to STV v9 and continue talking to the EPG server should do one of the following:
  1. Linux built from source: put your SageTV license key in a file called 'activkey' in the same folder as your SageTV install
  2. Windows built from source: put your SageTV license key in a global environment variable called 'SAGETVUSERKEY'
  3. Windows using updated jar method: no action required

Is that right? Something for a future STVOS FAQ sticky.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
it seems like it will take someone quite a while to figure out and build all the parts that need to be part of the installation.
True, but figuring out where all the pieces are for installation is a good start on learning the SageTV architecture. The effort will pay off.

I'm in the middle of moving and remodeling our old house right now, so I won't be able to get started right away; but I'm willing to make the effort and put an installer together. Of course, if someone else wants to do it in the meantime, I won't be offended.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Exactly why I didn't have the time to do it either myself right now.
Man everyone is such windows haters around here

I played with it a little in all honesty it's probably easier for me to build in Linux.

The route further to me is making a universal windows 10 app that access sagetv (more of just a new front end that access's sagetv as backend). To me that would be all I need as it would give me great cheap intel (ie hp stream) extender access.

Now where did I put all that free time I had....
Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
The route further to me is making a universal windows 10 app that access sagetv (more of just a new front end that access's sagetv as backend). To me that would be all I need as it would give me great cheap intel (ie hp stream) extender access.

Now where did I put all that free time I had....
Find that free time - A windows 8 / 10 / modern app would be great... especially if it could replace placeshifter as well! And if it would work on Windows Phone that would be amazing.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 08-12-2015 at 04:19 PM.