SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Open Source FAQ Discussion

Please post open source FAQ suggestions or requests in this topic. Thanks.

And yes, I know the first suggestion will probably be how to use your existing SageTV license to continue to receive EPG data.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
And yes, I know the first suggestion will probably be how to use your existing SageTV license to continue to receive EPG data.
You must be clairvoyant.

Did I get it right here?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Where can I download a pre-compiled version of SageTV 9 for Windows/Linux Distro?

Last edited by ptzink; 08-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
Where can I download a pre-compiled version of SageTV 9 for Windows/Linux Distro?
Related to the above question is it true that installing sagetv version 7 and replacing the jar file with version 9's jar effectively gives you 9?

as mentioned here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...5&postcount=90

(if it is I may try that. I think that is about as far as my ability will take me though... or I may make a VM ubuntu machine if that's as simple)
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 08-12-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

And another question are cable card tuners (ceton infinitv and SD Primes) natively supported? My last use of sage I needed SageDCT to accomplish this, and while once set up it worked great... it was a chore to setup. and if my cable company moved any channels it was a manual affair to re-assign the channels to the guide properly.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Sage Expert

When is there going to be a forum setup to address plug-in (and other extension) issues for the OS release? I imagine we're not going to want that cluttering the v7 plugin board.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Sage Icon

Will the API documentation be updated?

http://download.sage.tv/api/

I assume this is mostly auto-generated from source code comments.

If it is updated, will there be notes on which functions are not fully functional because they rely on Google EPG data?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-13-2015, 04:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Since the SageTV Decoder will not be included will I be able to use other Decoders to get CC? ... currently the only decoder that can do CC is Sagetv.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Sage

I'll update the API docs soon...I forgot to put the script in the open source release that does that. (although i still need to put them on the forums myself after they are updated)

And any new functions relating to EPG data pretty much rely on the Google EPG data..we used everything we had before. (although some of them clearly won't matter..like getting an actual URL vs. the MetaImage for something...and the existence of 'person' objects, but they'll be matched based on name...not tribune ID)

For decoders..there should be other ones out there that support CC...I just don't know what they are anymore.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I'll update the API docs soon...I forgot to put the script in the open source release that does that. (although i still need to put them on the forums myself after they are updated)

And any new functions relating to EPG data pretty much rely on the Google EPG data..we used everything we had before. (although some of them clearly won't matter..like getting an actual URL vs. the MetaImage for something...and the existence of 'person' objects, but they'll be matched based on name...not tribune ID)

For decoders..there should be other ones out there that support CC...I just don't know what they are anymore.
Does this have anything to do with the download error in the logs about pulling epg images from download.sagetv.tv ?
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage User

For the FAQ, where will I post my specific questions related to the operating system the open source SageTV runs on?

I would recommend to setup some new forums for Linux, Windows, OS/X and embedded devices or just reuse the existing forums for the old commercial SageTV. However the old commercial SageTV forums are probably confusing in the future.

I just see the risk that the Open Source forum get the all inclusive forum covering everything.

Probably more a generic question like Where do I post my question on ... ?

Cheers, Martin
XMLTV using WebGrabPlus in Switzerland
Clients: HD200, Placeshift on OSX (limited) and Windows, Sage Android Client on ShieldTV and Tablets
Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

license type

I have a question about the license key type and EPG data. If I have a license for the windows version, will it be usable for EPG data for the Linux version? As I understand it, the license key will really only be used for EPG data, so assuming that's true, why would the EPG server really care about the OS platform?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
I have a question about the license key type and EPG data. If I have a license for the windows version, will it be usable for EPG data for the Linux version? As I understand it, the license key will really only be used for EPG data, so assuming that's true, why would the EPG server really care about the OS platform?
platform doesn't matter. The EPG server just needs to see a valid key.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Does this have anything to do with the download error in the logs about pulling epg images from download.sagetv.tv ?
Not sure if its a typo or part of the problem, but "sagetv.tv" is not a registered domain. "sage.tv" is what I think it should read.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Sage User

Will this compile on a Mac?

When should I switch from my windows server running v7? What would be the advantages/disadvantages?

What do users without an EPG license do to obtain EPG data?

Do all the plugins for v7 work with the OS version?

Is there a money back guarantee on the OS version?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewispm View Post
Will this compile on a Mac?
No. Mac support was dropped in v7 and all Mac code was removed from the OSS release. I think I read someone (people?) were trying to build on Mac without much success. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote:
When should I switch from my windows server running v7? What would be the advantages/disadvantages?
I'd hold off. Still in the very early stages of this. Unless you plan on contributing thru coding/testing/etc., there's just no reason to upgrade yet.

Quote:
What do users without an EPG license do to obtain EPG data?
You will need a plugin. The Schedules Direct plugin for v7 does not work with v9, but is being looked at. Other plugins (xmltv, etc.) may or may not work with v9; I don't recall hearing any reports either way.

Quote:
Do all the plugins for v7 work with the OS version?
No. See above. With that said, most probably will, but you'd have to either ask if someone else has tried or, better yet, try for yourself and report back your results.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
No. Mac support was dropped in v7 and all Mac code was removed from the OSS release. I think I read someone (people?) were trying to build on Mac without much success. I wouldn't hold my breath.
So how about a sage server inside a virtual arch install hosted on a mac mini?

I'll switch to network tuners.. anything else I'd need to change or expect to be different than my current win7 server? Would comskip still work?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I think most of the sage server process would still run fine on a mac, if stripped down to only support network encoders. There is not a lot of native code in there... that said, it's the client that would have issues on the mac. That, and you'd still need the network encoders running on SOMETHING, and since noone has built a network encoder for any mac system, I'm guessing that's another big hurdle (if you are trying to go mac only).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Administrator

So after weeks of FAQ committee meetings, massive focus testing, countless design mock-ups, and just a teeny tiny bit of actual writing, the first few open source FAQ entries have been added. Yes, I know there isn't a whole lot there, but it's a start. (All it really covers for now is what to do with an older SageTV Server license so you can have the same EPG data as before.)

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Sage Expert

Andy,

I just updated v7.1 to v9 and had to jump around to a few different places to find all the files needed. I figured I'd document what I did and perhaps it would be useful to others. Perhaps you can use it, or pieces of it, for the FAQ. I did a clean install of v7.1 and updated from there:

How to update v7.1 to v9:

1. Install v7.1 or start with a v7.1 system. Be sure to make a backup of your SageTV directory if updating.
2. Close SageTV and make sure the service is stopped via the SageTVServiceControl.exe application
3. Download the v9 windows exe files and overwrite the existing files in your SageTV install directory. These files can usually be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV
4. Download the v9 sagetv.jar and overwrite the existing file in your SageTV install directory. This file can usually be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV
5. Download the lucene-core file and copy/overwrite it in your SageTV install's jar directory. This file can usually be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\JARs . Hint: You need to click 'View Raw' to start the download.
6. Optional: If you have a valid SageTV license, you can follow these steps to set an environment variable to access EPG data provided by Google.
7. Start SageTV and browse to Setup->System Information and check that your Software Version is SageTV V9.0.0.4
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs

Last edited by dinki; 09-23-2015 at 08:18 AM.