SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 AM
SageTVaholic

[Android MiniClient] Need a better start screen

If you've used the Android MiniClient, then you realize the initial screen containing the server list, Preferences, and Add Server actions is a little underwhelming

Since this is in BETA, the goal it clean up the user experience a bit, and stabilize the client, and get it ready for 1.0 release in the play store.

I think we need a better start page, than what I've hobbled together. So, I'm looking for some ideas, prototypes, etc, of what you think we should have for a launch page. I prefer something simple, and something that will scale across phone, tablet, and TV, since I really don't want to create separate start pages for each device type.

So, if you have any thoughts or idea, and/or if you are willing help out with layout/design/art work, then post your thoughts/ideas here.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Standardizing things android style would be ideal. I think it is fine to keep the list of servers a simple list that can be selected - but the preferences should be renamed to settings and represented at the top or bottom with a gear icon. Similarly, the Add Server should be represented with a + icon.

Graphically, I'd use a simple background that would then blend to the stock STV once connected. The background file for the secure login screen (stvs/SageTV7/SecureLoginBG.jpg) would make a clean basis for it, with a SageTV logo centered at the top.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Example Landscape:
Attached Images
File Type: png MiniClient-Login.png (152.9 KB, 767 views)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Think that's a good start... For the server list, should it be a Two Line list item, as it is now, or be more like a "card" with additional information, etc.

The "simple" list is easier to implement for sure, but, if you have some thoughts on how to present each item, feel free to pass it along.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I see no reason to move from a relatively simple list. About the only thing I could think to add would be if it pinged (or otherwise checked connectivity/readiness of) each server, and showed a green or grey circle to the left of the 2-line text entry. Ideally sorting the green ones to the top (not that I envision many people having an overly populated list, just thinking of what I've seen in other similar UIs).

Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd like to see the computer name if one is available, not just the IP address.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I'd like to see the computer name if one is available, not just the IP address.
In the current version, each entry is 2 lines. The first is the Name (whatever you typed in the name field when you added the server - and can be whatever you want), and the second smaller print line is the address.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
In the current version, each entry is 2 lines. The first is the Name (whatever you typed in the name field when you added the server - and can be whatever you want), and the second smaller print line is the address.
I didn't manually add the server, it autodetected them (I'm assuming). Only the IP address shows up.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I didn't manually add the server, it autodetected them (I'm assuming). Only the IP address shows up.
The name that I show is the name that I get during network discovery, which happens to be the IP address.

FYI... I did upload a BETA-6 that uses a new Server List screen that is close to what Fuzzy suggested. It's still not 100% done, but, it's better than what was there before
Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The name that I show is the name that I get during network discovery, which happens to be the IP address.

FYI... I did upload a BETA-6 that uses a new Server List screen that is close to what Fuzzy suggested. It's still not 100% done, but, it's better than what was there before
I didn't even install Beta 5 yet

Old 01-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was thinking something more like the attached. I have attached a more "Material-like" blue version and a black/gray version. I have also added a dot next to the server to indicate whether it is available or not per Fuzzy's suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: png sagetv-android-client-ui-blue-white.png (68.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: png sagetv-android-client-ui-gray-black.png (62.9 KB, 355 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
I was thinking something more like the attached. I have attached a more "Material-like" blue version and a black/gray version. I have also added a dot next to the server to indicate whether it is available or not per Fuzzy's suggestion.
They both look good. I'll eventually update the start screen with one of those... I sort of torn about material design (not in general, just in this app) since the rest of the app doesn't flow with material design.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
They both look good. I'll eventually update the start screen with one of those... I sort of torn about material design (not in general, just in this app) since the rest of the app doesn't flow with material design.
Sounds like an opportunity for an STV developer to make an Android specific STV

Any takers? I do not have the time

Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sounds like an opportunity for an STV developer to make an Android specific STV

Any takers? I do not have the time
Jusjoken has expressed some interest in this, maybe between building windows installers, working phoenix, working on gemstone, he might find some time

EDIT: On a related note, I'll be adding a new API to V9 for IsTouch() that can be used to check if a touch enabled device is being used.

Last edited by stuckless; 01-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Jusjoken has expressed some interest in this, maybe between building windows installers, working phoenix, working on gemstone, he might find some time
Old 01-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Personally, I'd like to see it reflect the Android standard of Material design, which works well with a simple start page. Part of me is toying with the idea of trying to build an STV that has this kind of design but as I've been reading it seems that that Sage Studio has quite a hefty learning curve so not sure I'd be able to devote the necessary time to it.

Anyhow, for the start screen, I'm envisioning something simple with the Sage logo across the top and each connection having it's own card and a simple circle with a plus to add connections.

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 01-29-2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: formatting. :)
Old 01-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hm.. seems I have failed reading comprehension... I see ptzink already suggested it.