SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Problem with UNC shares from Linux server

I'm sure I've got a configuration problem somewhere but not sure where to look. Linux itself is able to browse the network and display files from my unRAID server. I can add the folders to SageTV as import directories but nothing is imported. When I look at the /tmp/sagetv_shares folder I see the directories listed but there is NO connection to the unRAID server they are blank. The scan for imported files returns almost instantly confirming that SageTV is not actually connecting to the unRAID NAS box. I've tried both UBUNTU and Mint installs. I am including the log files in an archive as I do see some errors listed. Specifically it looks like the mount fails because:
Code:
Error executing process smbmount : java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "smbmount": error=2, No such file or directory
When I look for smbmount I see it has been depreciated and mount.cifs should be used instead. So how should I get around this? Any ideas? Linux is new to me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (29.1 KB, 190 views)
Old 02-29-2016, 03:31 PM
SageTVaholic

According to my research in Ubuntu the package smbfs must be installed. Apparently smbmount has been deprecated so some other method is preferred. Sounds like someone needs to work to change the smb code to use more modern utilities.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

And cifs-utils has replaced smbfs. So there is definitely a need for a change.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
According to my research in Ubuntu the package smbfs must be installed. Apparently smbmount has been deprecated so some other method is preferred. Sounds like someone needs to work to change the smb code to use more modern utilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
And cifs-utils has replaced smbfs. So there is definitely a need for a change.
That's what I saw too. I was hoping I could alias the command some how or force the install of SMBFS but I have not been able to find instructions for that. Or even if aliasing SMBMOUNT to MOUNT.CIFS would even work - parameters may be different or in a different order for instance.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I tried editing FSTAB to put the mount points in the "/mnt" folder and then symlink them to the "/tmp/sagetv_shares" folder. It works most of the time but I had to edit startsage and put in delays to get it to work at all. I would rather it be done correctly from within the SageTV code. Then maybe the mounts would STAY connected and not be dropped forcing me to restart SageTV to reinitialize the mount points and symlinks again which didn't always work correctly either.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I went ahead and opened up an issue here: https://github.com/google/sagetv/issues
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Looking at the source code for IOUtils.java I see an SMBMount in it in the doSMBMount method. If Sage.EMBEDDED is true it will do a mount.cifs but if it isn't true it looks like it does an SMBMOUNT. Maybe it is as simple as changing the 'smbmount' in doSMBMount to mount.cifs.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Looking at the source code for IOUtils.java I see an SMBMount in it in the doSMBMount method. If Sage.EMBEDDED is true it will do a mount.cifs but if it isn't true it looks like it does an SMBMOUNT. Maybe it is as simple as changing the 'smbmount' in doSMBMount to mount.cifs.
You are correct. What looks like might be the cleanest solution is to just remove the "if (!Sage.EMBEDDED)" block starting on line 1238. The other one seems to have more options for dealing with different share modes. It also is adding the 'nounix' option (which is the only real difference I see in the EMBEDDED vs. the non-EMBEDDED aside from the command). I have no idea if that's a problem or not...but I'm assuming we just did that for even better compatibility at some point.

What I'd recommend is removing that block like I suggest...and then making a property setting for that actual program used for mounting; then if for some reason this needs to be changed for some people they have an easy way to do that. Or an even better solution is to check for the existence of smbmount on linux, and if it's not there...then use mount.cifs. You can do this easily by executing "which smbmount" and if you get a non-zero exit code, then that program does not exist....and I'd cache that result so you only have to do that once per execution of SageTV.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Now if I only knew how to do those changes. Or more specifically how to check out the code and make a patch and then check it back in.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

I'm interested in getting this to work. I'm not very experienced at this stuff but I can ususally muddle my way through things.

so I built a linux box (Mint), installed sage, cloned git (thanks for the how too docs), built Sage.jar and ran with my built version.

I then removed the block in question, but can't see to get that portion of the code executed, so a couple questions.

I want to enable sage debugging so that the: if (Sage.DBG) System.out.println("") messages.

I set these in the Sage.properties files:
debug_core_events=true
debug_logging=true
debug_msgs=true
jcifs_debugging=true

but I never get any of the SMB debugging messages. Is there a different property to set?

I did verify that I can mount.cifs //tower/Rips /mnt -o username=guest

and it works so I know that the system can do it. . .

thanks
david

Last edited by lovingHDTV; 05-07-2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
I'm interested in getting this to work. I'm not very experienced at this stuff but I can ususally muddle my way through things.

so I built a linux box (Mint), installed sage, cloned git (thanks for the how too docs), built Sage.jar and ran with my built version.

I then removed the block in question, but can't see to get that portion of the code executed, so a couple questions.

I want to enable sage debugging so that the: if (Sage.DBG) System.out.println("") messages.

I set these in the Sage.properties files:
debug_core_events=true
debug_logging=true
debug_msgs=true
jcifs_debugging=true

but I never get any of the SMB debugging messages. Is there a different property to set?

I did verify that I can mount.cifs //tower/Rips /mnt -o username=guest

and it works so I know that the system can do it. . .

thanks
david
Just so you know I made changes for my error and Jeff merged them as far as I know anyway. I'll go check. Update this post shortly.

Edit Yes I see the changes I added to the IOUtils.java file. So it should actually mount an SMB directory as an import directory or recording directory for that matter.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 05-07-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added update about IOUtils.java
Old 05-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, I cloned git today and it doesn't do it for me.

I'm putting in the UNC paths like I did for windows:

//tower/Rips

If I try:

smb://tower/Rips I get an error from the STV.

david
Old 05-07-2016, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmm, I cloned git today and it doesn't do it for me.

I'm putting in the UNC paths like I did for windows:

//tower/Rips

If I try:

smb://tower/Rips I get an error from the STV.

david
I just browse to the directory in SageTV. For Windows boxes I had to add "Everyone" to the Security on the drive folders directly in order to make them "browsable". I was not able to "Specify" the shares like I can with a Windows SageTV instance. I'm checking to see if the Windows box with the shares had anything else on it but I don't believe I did anything else.

Edit: Couldn't find anything else. Guess I will find out when I transfer the VMs to a new SERVER I'm setting up currently.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 05-07-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Sage Icon

OK I hadn't tried that. If I browse "up directory" I can then see network and select my share. However it gets stored in Sage as /tmp/sagetv_shares/tower/sagetv/tv

This is then used in the files, and since the path doesn't exist on the windows machine you have the same issue. In the windows server it gets saved as \\tower\sagetv\tv

This then works everywhere.

david
Old 05-08-2016, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK I hadn't tried that. If I browse "up directory" I can then see network and select my share. However it gets stored in Sage as /tmp/sagetv_shares/tower/sagetv/tv

This is then used in the files, and since the path doesn't exist on the windows machine you have the same issue. In the windows server it gets saved as \\tower\sagetv\tv

This then works everywhere.

david
Actually it is stored in Wiz.bin as tower/sagetv/tv the tmp/sagetv_shares is NOT. So it would look the same as a windows server. At least as it is stored in wiz.bin. So I don't see a problem.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting, when I look at the video details via the client, it lists it as /tmp/sagetv_shares/... and the comskip plugin cannot find the edl files. So it didn't work for me. odd that you see something different.

I even see it saved as /tmp/sagetv_shares in the Sage.properties file.

Quote:
Actually it is stored in Wiz.bin as tower/sagetv/tv the tmp/sagetv_shares is NOT. So it would look the same as a windows server. At least as it is stored in wiz.bin. So I don't see a problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Interesting, when I look at the video details via the client, it lists it as /tmp/sagetv_shares/... and the comskip plugin cannot find the edl files. So it didn't work for me. odd that you see something different.

I even see it saved as /tmp/sagetv_shares in the Sage.properties file.
It adds it to the display when you look at the detailed info on a video but it isn't stored in the wiz.bin that way. At least it doesn't appear to be since I can drop and replace the wiz.bin from windows to linux and linux to windows and the videos that were recorded are displayed like they should be after the transfer.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting I wonder why comskip plugin can't find the files when running on linux.

Quote:
It adds it to the display when you look at the detailed info on a video but it isn't stored in the wiz.bin that way. At least it doesn't appear to be since I can drop and replace the wiz.bin from windows to linux and linux to windows and the videos that were recorded are displayed like they should be after the transfer.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Interesting I wonder why comskip plugin can't find the files when running on linux.
I've got to get mine setup again but comskip worked just fine for me. Not sure what I did differently but I will check next weekend when I should have this setup again.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Assuming you are running CommercialDetector, it uses the core method GetFileForSegment() to determine where the file is physically located.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.