SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Plan for Updates?

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I saw a message suggesting that stuckless is considering updates to BMT.

Here's a few things that I've struggled with as a user:
  1. Search: Just yesterday I finally figured out how to use the search box. I always expected that just entering a string would search for that string in the names/titles of recordings and imported media. I suggest you have a basic search field, and use PQL for advanced searches.
  2. Missing Metadata: I'd like an easy way to identify just the files that couldn't find matches. "Missing metadata" seems to catch more than that. Or, perhaps I just need a way to tell BMT to ignore some set of files. I have a couple hundred files that are permanently missing metadata for a variety of reasons, and right now they're making it hard to identify new things that just aren't being matched.
  3. Correcting mismatched (or unmatched) TV shows is hard: I've done it before, both by using the "add matcher" button and by modifying the mediatitles.xml by hand, but I think this difficult to use. Is there any way to make this more user-friendly? If I haven't done it for a while I need to search the forums to find an example of how to use it.
  4. Problems Matching TV shows: BMT seems to struggle with shows that have multiple versions with the same name, which is to be expected. Is it actually using the original air date to help with matches? If not, could it?
  5. List of Files: I find it difficult to look through the list of files. For one, titles don't appear to be sorted in any particular order. Second, the titles are returned in batches (I know the size of these batches is configurable). While someone that knows what they're doing in PQL probably easily deals with this by searching for what they're looking for, I find this difficult to use- particularly when I'm scanning through things looking for files that seem to lack any metadata.

In a perfect world I'd love to see a mobile app (or mobile-friend webGUI) to help with matching, but it's probably hard to justify that as a priority given that there are much more important things to work on.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Those are all good points. Seems that maybe #5 could be less of an issue if missing metadata worked better.... but yeah, I agree these are good points.

I stuggle with this...because ideally, as you point out, it would be nice to have a mobile friendly version of this... And I think I'll be moving in that direction... ie, I want to do some simple updates to BMT to make it function a little better (ie, search bothers me as well)... but I don't want to invest too heavily in it, since I think it need s UI overhaul.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Along the lines of number 4 above if CMT could add an entry to the custom match file that might simplify things and make sure the custom match entry is entered correctly.