SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

NVidia Shield - non responsive :(

This is too bad... but one of my NVidia Shield's is dead We had an electrical storm a couple days back and even though I have enverything on surge, this unit appears non-responsive. Green light turns on, but never see video.

I tried another TV and another HDMI cable, etc, but no go. Too bad, it was a really nice unit.

Now, I've setup a Roku 3 with Plex... not sure how WAF is going to be on this

(I have a couple of HD300s in a box, but I was trying to get down to a single box in this room for netflix, tv, youtube, etc)

Not sure if anyone has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this NViidia unit.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Sage Icon

Maybe try a reset: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...ry-settings%3F
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I did try a hardware reset... but didn't work (ie, could not get to fastboot menu). It's almost like the hdmi output is dead But I will try those instructions as well, since they are slightly different than what I tried last night.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

I feel your pain. My 60" plasma took a hit last week and is now dead. Going to pickup a circuit board today to attempt a fix.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Sage Fanatic

The nVidia forums, (when I check), are usually pretty active albeit a pain to read, (I can't find a "go to first unread" or anything like that).
Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 AM
SageTVaholic

FYI... My unit is just under 1 year old... so I contacted support, they had me try a couple things that didn't work, and end the end they are shipping me a new unit and I have to RMA the old one (with prepaid shipping notice they provided). According the tracking info, I should have it monday.

I'm not sure what happened... I still think the NVidia units are best options today for a general purpose media device and for running SageTV. Just glad I'm getting it replaced, for free.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

The same thing happened to one of my Nvidia Shield's after a power outage: powers on with no video signal. The following procedure (found on XDA) brought it back and it's been working ever since:
  • Unplug all the cables and keep the device off for good 2-3 minutes.
  • Plug the Power cable, controller through USB (Wired) and Ethernet cable to the ATV. Do not connect HDMI cable.
  • The device will power on. Keep it idle for about 5 minutes and keep tapping A button on the controller. Continue tapping for about a few seconds.
  • Now leave the device is this state without the HDMI cable for good 15 to 20 minutes and plug the HDMI cable.
  • See if the ATV displays any output

The OP used "ATV" for Android TV, but trust that they were referring specifically to the Nvidia Shield.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
The same thing happened to one of my Nvidia Shield's after a power outage: powers on with no video signal. The following procedure (found on XDA) brought it back and it's been working ever since:
  • Unplug all the cables and keep the device off for good 2-3 minutes.
  • Plug the Power cable, controller through USB (Wired) and Ethernet cable to the ATV. Do not connect HDMI cable.
  • The device will power on. Keep it idle for about 5 minutes and keep tapping A button on the controller. Continue tapping for about a few seconds.
  • Now leave the device is this state without the HDMI cable for good 15 to 20 minutes and plug the HDMI cable.
  • See if the ATV displays any output

The OP used "ATV" for Android TV, but trust that they were referring specifically to the Nvidia Shield.
Yeah, that was the exact instructions the support rep gave me as well.. so I tried it... but still didn't work. At least it died before my 1yr warranty was up
Old 08-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage Expert

Points to nVidia for paying for return shipping. A whole lot of companies don't.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

I got the NVidia unit earlier than I expected... just arrived... set it up, installed the Android MiniClient, and all is good.

Side note... I had hooked up a Roku 3 + Plex for the last week for my wife... She's very happy to have the Shield unit back
Old 08-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

I'm just waiting for a sale to buy one myself. I wasn't back using SageTV when it was such a good price in Amazon Day. I'm hoping Black Friday or similar day provides an opportunity to get it for a good price.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad you got it taken care of. Mine has become my daily driver. Sage works great thanks to you.

Supposedly a new version is coming out. Should be interesting.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.