SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Mini-Client and Harmony Remote Problem

I am having a weird problem.

I have the mini-client installed on a Nexus Player, which I am controlling using a Harmony Companion Remote. The remote works fine exception for the mini-client. The mini-client does not recognize the "Select / OK" button on the Harmony remote. (It does recognize the OK button on the Nexus Player remote.)

Here is the weird part, the "Select / OK" button on the Harmony remote works fine on the Nexus Player and other apps. But just not the mini-client.

I have tried resetting the Harmony and even assigned the "select" function to other keys. The mini-client just does not recognize it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
John
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

In the miniclient there is a setting to turn on remote key debugging... ie, it shows a message with the key name if it's not mapped. Turn it on, and see what it says.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

It shows "numpad_enter" when I press the "Select / OK" button on the Harmony remote.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
It shows "numpad_enter" when I press the "Select / OK" button on the Harmony remote.
Cool... So I need to add "numpad_enter" to the key mapping Could you add an issue to the MiniClient issue tracker.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Cool... So I need to add "numpad_enter" to the key mapping Could you add an issue to the MiniClient issue tracker.
Done.

Please let me know when it is fixed.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Done.

Please let me know when it is fixed.

Thanks!
I should get to this over the weekend.

Could you post a link to your remote and describe how you are integrating...ie, IR, Firc, Bluetooth, etc. This is mainly for my own personal interest.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Could you post a link to your remote and describe how you are integrating...ie, IR, Firc, Bluetooth, etc. This is mainly for my own personal interest.
The remote is the Harmony Companion (formerly Harmony Home Control).
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...panion?crid=60

It is a good middle end remote. Has a lot of the features of the Harmony Elite, but at less than half the price.

It communicates with the Nexus Hub using Bluetooth.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...h-nexus-player

The Harmony DB has the controls for over 2500 devices (including the HD300).

I am still playing with it, but it seems to have been a good choice.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

This maybe a dumb question, but how do you change channels when watching live TV?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This maybe a dumb question, but how do you change channels when watching live TV?

Thanks,
John
That is not a dumb question... but, I don't know the answer... Since I can't remember the last time I watched live tv or manually changed a channel. It is likely something that is not well supported on the dumb remote... and I'm not even sure that I've accounted for it in the on screen nav.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
That is not a dumb question... but, I don't know the answer... Since I can't remember the last time I watched live tv or manually changed a channel. It is likely something that is not well supported on the dumb remote... and I'm not even sure that I've accounted for it in the on screen nav.
Comcast charges a couple of dollars a month per TV for a digital adapter just to watch the stations you are already paying for.

Comcast released an Android TV app which does the same thing as the digital adapter, but I am having trouble getting it to run on an Android TV device. So I thought I would use one of the tuners in my HDHomeRun to watch live TV. The easiest way would be to use SageTV. Next step is to side-load the HDHomeRun View app and see if that works.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Comcast released an Android TV app which does the same thing as the digital adapter, but I am having trouble getting it to run on an Android TV device.
I'm curious, what app is that?

Quote:
So I thought I would use one of the tuners in my HDHomeRun to watch live TV. The easiest way would be to use SageTV. Next step is to side-load the HDHomeRun View app and see if that works.
Might I suggest using the HDHomeRun beta which you can enroll in here. No need to sideload and it acts as a TV input to the Live Channels app on Android TV. It's a good solution if you're looking for live TV with a traditional EPG and don't require time-shifting.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
I'm curious, what app is that?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cloudtvr&hl=en

If I can get the Xfinity TV app to work, I will also have access to their On-Demand system.

Quote:
Might I suggest using the HDHomeRun beta which you can enroll in here. No need to sideload and it acts as a TV input to the Live Channels app on Android TV. It's a good solution if you're looking for live TV with a traditional EPG and don't require time-shifting.
I did enroll, but it said it was not compatible with the Nexus Play. I was able to side-load it and it seems to be working with the Live Channels app.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The remote is the Harmony Companion (formerly Harmony Home Control).
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...panion?crid=60

It is a good middle end remote. Has a lot of the features of the Harmony Elite, but at less than half the price.

It communicates with the Nexus Hub using Bluetooth.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...h-nexus-player

The Harmony DB has the controls for over 2500 devices (including the HD300).

I am still playing with it, but it seems to have been a good choice.

Thanks,
John
Interesting. I have a Harmony 650 running a SHIELD tv via it's native internal IR receiver and don't have the same issue - though there is some weirdness if smart remote is enabled. IIRC, it treats "enter" as "play" instead of enter in that case - but I imagine that's by design. Have you tried turning off smart remote to see if that makes a difference? Just curious, as I know Stuckless already has a fix being cooked up.

Erm... nevermind, guess it's already been fixed. Go Stuckless!

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 09-26-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: way behind the times...
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Guess its time to give an update on how I got this setup... I do watch livetv within my SageTV, so I wanted to look a "easy" way to change channels. I was considering using the LIRC USB dongle, but heck I didnt want to spend more money so I tried to figure out another way.. which so far it seems it has paid too.

My setup is:
Shield TV box
Harmony Hub with Remote control

In order for this to work, I paired the ShieldTV using bluetooth. This setup was done via the PC, when asked for a deviced, select Windows Comuter.

Now reconfigure the Activiy with the MyHarmony Windows App, under 'Buttons' -> Select Activity with your ShieldTV Activity name.

By default it would map the numbers and some other keys. If needed remapping just add the other ShieldTV device and try reasigning (In my case I reassigned the Ok key to the default Select of the 'Asus Nexus Player')

So far its has worked fine. Hope someone else find use to this information

Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Guess its time to give an update on how I got this setup... I do watch livetv within my SageTV, so I wanted to look a "easy" way to change channels. I was considering using the LIRC USB dongle, but heck I didnt want to spend more money so I tried to figure out another way.. which so far it seems it has paid too.

My setup is:
Shield TV box
Harmony Hub with Remote control

In order for this to work, I paired the ShieldTV using bluetooth. This setup was done via the PC, when asked for a deviced, select Windows Comuter.

Now reconfigure the Activiy with the MyHarmony Windows App, under 'Buttons' -> Select Activity with your ShieldTV Activity name.

By default it would map the numbers and some other keys. If needed remapping just add the other ShieldTV device and try reasigning (In my case I reassigned the Ok key to the default Select of the 'Asus Nexus Player')

So far its has worked fine. Hope someone else find use to this information
I have been playing with the same setup, except that I am using the Mi Box instead of the shield... One thing I found interesting is that by default, the Harmony maps the "guide" button to the "Windows PC guide" button, which makes sense. Noticing that it actually doesn't do anything inside the SageTV app, I turned on remote debugging and sure enough a little notice shows up saying 'unmapped button "guide"'... yet when I try to map that button through sagetv detailed setup, sagetv doesn't even react to that button being pressed. So while the app sees the button being pressed, it doesn't pass it along for some reason... any thoughts as to why that would be?

I can always remap the "guide" button on the harmony remote to something that sage can see, however it seemed odd.

thx

/jer

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop View Post
I have been playing with the same setup, except that I am using the Mi Box instead of the shield... One thing I found interesting is that by default, the Harmony maps the "guide" button to the "Windows PC guide" button, which makes sense. Noticing that it actually doesn't do anything inside the SageTV app, I turned on remote debugging and sure enough a little notice shows up saying 'unmapped button "guide"'... yet when I try to map that button through sagetv detailed setup, sagetv doesn't even react to that button being pressed. So while the app sees the button being pressed, it doesn't pass it along for some reason... any thoughts as to why that would be?

I can always remap the "guide" button on the harmony remote to something that sage can see, however it seemed odd.

thx

/jer
maybe open a defect for this on the MiniClient site. If there is a "guide" button in Android I can pass it along to SageTV.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
maybe open a defect for this on the MiniClient site. If there is a "guide" button in Android I can pass it along to SageTV.
will do... since i added the MiBox as a "windows PC" to the harmony, it's likely a "guide" button that is in the "windows PC" harmony template that android actually sees. android does not appear to recognize all of the mapped bluetooth keyboard commands, but this one works.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop View Post
will do... since i added the MiBox as a "windows PC" to the harmony, it's likely a "guide" button that is in the "windows PC" harmony template that android actually sees. android does not appear to recognize all of the mapped bluetooth keyboard commands, but this one works.
Android does appear to have a "guide" key, so we should map that into the sagetv "guide" command.

https://developer.android.com/refere...#KEYCODE_GUIDE.

Basically, Android has to explicitly handle all key preses and send them to SageTV. Through trial and error, we've found a bunch, and people keep finding new unmapped keys. So add a defect, and this will get done at some point.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Network Guy,
Here is the flirc config file that you requested. I Use it with a Harmony 650. I downloaded the sagetv cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts but I don't know where I found it. I did have to add a few commands in sage such as smooth FF, smooth rewind,prev chan, audio, ABC-123, and subtitle toggle. I just used CTRL I, CTRL D, etc...
Hope this helps.
Brian
Attached Files
File Type: zip my_flirc_config3.zip (362 Bytes, 192 views)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Assuming you all are still using miboxes with harmony remotes, how do you get back to the mibox's home screen to then go into non-sagetv apps? do you have it set up as an activity? can't get my head around how to tell the harmony when to use sagetv commands and when not for the additional buttons.