SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Sage User

Question SageTV miniclient - transcoding?

Hi folks ...
the SageTV Miniclient is a fabulous idea .... have been waiting for this! It works well on my Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Tab A when on my lan... not so much in placeshifter mode! On the Tab A in placeshifter mode UI works well (if a little balky at times - same on S5) however on Tab A watching video fails ... screen is tiled hundreds of times (tiles are not clear but split) although audio seems to work no problem. On the Galaxy S5 video works but has a "haze" for lack of a better term over the entire screen - like every other pixel is white while remaining ones are showing video.

Just wondering if I need to install something else in the way of a player (have VLC and MX player) to make this work ... or is this something that is still being worked on?

Best regards, Dave Melnyk ... keep up thre great work!
Old 10-02-2016, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelnyk View Post
Hi folks ...
the SageTV Miniclient is a fabulous idea .... have been waiting for this! It works well on my Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Tab A when on my lan... not so much in placeshifter mode! On the Tab A in placeshifter mode UI works well (if a little balky at times - same on S5) however on Tab A watching video fails ... screen is tiled hundreds of times (tiles are not clear but split) although audio seems to work no problem. On the Galaxy S5 video works but has a "haze" for lack of a better term over the entire screen - like every other pixel is white while remaining ones are showing video.

Just wondering if I need to install something else in the way of a player (have VLC and MX player) to make this work ... or is this something that is still being worked on?

Best regards, Dave Melnyk ... keep up thre great work!
This has come up a few times... But in short, no, you can't use another player. The problem is that the player that is provided had to be tweaked considerably to work with sagetv streams. I can't just pop open an external player, like MXPlayer, since it wouldn't know how to handle the streams, and there'd be no way to do things like show OSD, capture playback progress, etc.

If the video playback is OK on a LAN but not during placeshifter mode, then likely it's not the player, but rather the combination of network + server transcoding. Some people have had similar issues and found that turning off animations and then switching the playback mode from Dynamic to Fixed (in the app's settings) have worked.

I haven't really spent much time on this myself, mainly because it's hard to setup an environment to force placeshifting, and it's not something that I've ever used myself. To be honest, while I use the MiniClient daily on a TV, I actually use Plex for phone/tablet viewing

Tags
miniclient, transcoding