SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Network Folders

Just deploying a brand new machine to act as my SageTV server, installed V9 on Windows 10 Pro.

I want to use this machine as my "streaming" device to Placeshifter (only serving up local media/videos), and hook into my original machine's video library. It is a Windows 7 machine running SageTV 7.

The video folder is shared on the Win7 machine, and "everyone" has rights - meaning that I don't need a user/pass to access it over my network.

When I try to add that share in the video directories on my new server, I can't access it. I can navigate using Windows explorer and get right to it, but when I try to add it in the Sage setup, I'm getting "Folder not found. Create it?"

I've tried various things - mapping a drive (Sage won't see my "Z" drive), using "\\servername\media", "\\servername\media\" nothing I do seems to work.

What am I missing here? Other than a Linux server or NAS?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

If you're running SageTV as a service make sure you're running as a user or account with network privileges.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Use a user account that is the same one that you use to log onto the machine. And it likely makes sense to use UNC shares - that way you can even change the hardware in the future but create a share with the same name and everything will work.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you! Yes, I'm running my new Sage install as a server and never even CONSIDERED "interact with desktop" and using the username on the new server.

Yes - using the actual share name.

Working like a charm, thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Use a user account that is the same one that you use to log onto the machine. And it likely makes sense to use UNC shares - that way you can even change the hardware in the future but create a share with the same name and everything will work.
FWIW, in this instance, yes, UNC shares are the best way to deal with it, because he is accessing media on a remote machine - and we used to recommend using UNC paths for everything (mainly because comskip playback on clients required it) - however, in general sagetv usage, there IS a performance penalty in using UNC paths to access local shares ON the server. Comskip playback no longer requires the UNC shares, so I do now recommend always using a direct local path to the content for any content located ON the server.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

The reason that I suggest using UNC names is that it makes it trivial to rearrange hard drives in the future.

Let's say you have a 2TB drive on d: that is for Movies and a 2TB hard drive on e: that has TV shows. One of them is failing so you decide that you will put in an 8TB drive for both Movies and TV.

With UNC shares you just change the path of the shares in Windows and SageTV is happy as you still have a \\myserver\movies and a \\myserver\tv. But you may no longer have an e:. If you have used the actual physical drive location as a Filter Folder in Gemstone, or in code that you have to transcode TV shows and move to archive folders then you have some work to do.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

You can move files between paths in Sage with little to no effect. Say you have a bunch of movies in F:\MoviesOnAFailingDrive, and you move them to H:\Movie'sNewHome, as long as the new location is a sagetv import folder, sage will pick up the new files on the next import scan, and reattach them to the same database entry if had before (so metadata, watched status, everything will be the same). Location is the least important thing when it comes to sagetv libraries/recording folders.

But yes, using a filter folder is about the only thing that it would come into play with, but I think filter folders will work for a substring of the folder as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room