SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations > Gemstone for v9
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v9 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage User

Gemstone flows and cached cover art

Hi,

I've using Gemstone with the "Center flow" and "List flow" for my videos collection. It seems like their is a brief delay displaying the cover art when I switch from movie to movie (I've got background disabled.)

I'd like to see if I can cache the cover art so they display immediate as the movie is selected. Can someone tell me which of the cache options would be best for this?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

The default settings work the best... can't recall what they are off the too of my head.

Key for performance is to perform the prebuild for the cache in the advanced options IIRC. It takes a while but then all fanart is in the file system cache and load quicker.

k
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage User

I tried the prebulding of the cache and that's not working. Another symptom may be that it's not remembering my place.

Say I watch movie 15 of 60. The next time I enter the video section, it takes me back to 1 of 60. In my last media PC (v7 w/Diamond) it would remember my place, unless I shut down Sage.

Do you have anymore suggestions?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Gemstone does not keep track of the last place you were in a flow when you return. G2 might have that feature. G1 does history tracking within a flow that has multiple levels.

For your fanart delay issue i need more info.

How is the pre-bulid not working...is there an error? Post the gemstonw, phoenix and sagetv logs may help.

BTW.... the fanart is by design loaded with a background process so that you can quickly scroll without the fanart load slowing you down....is that what you are seeing?

k
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Gemstone does not keep track of the last place you were in a flow when you return. G2 might have that feature.
Can you clarify the "might"? If G2 doesn't track the last place in a TV flow then I will go back to using the default SageTV TV flow ASAP.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Thanks Jusjoken. I did a video capture so you can see what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/6tta2teuALs

The prebuilding of cache is working. When it's complete, it displays it completed and it's statistics. It's just not improving on what I'm experiencing in the UI.

I'll post those logs next. I'll have to poke around and figure out where they are.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Can you clarify the "might"? If G2 doesn't track the last place in a TV flow then I will go back to using the default SageTV TV flow ASAP.
Yes, if you could include this feature that would be very cool. My hope is you put this at the top of the feature list. For the way I use SageTV, without this feature is really reducing it's usability compared to the way it used to be.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What are you using now? G1? It does not track your last location when returning to a flow.

It does track last location in menus and G2 will as well and G2 can mix flow content into menus so it will handle the last video item in a menu as well.

I have this feature on my list of todos. Its not a simple thing to do but i plan to see if i can....that's the might.

k
Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligionhead View Post
Thanks Jusjoken. I did a video capture so you can see what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/6tta2teuALs

The prebuilding of cache is working. When it's complete, it displays it completed and it's statistics. It's just not improving on what I'm experiencing in the UI.

I'll post those logs next. I'll have to poke around and figure out where they are.
A video is worth thousands of words...thanks.

So what you see is how it works. The first time it encounters an image it oasses it to a background process to load it and the display it if its still the current item or on screen. After that it loads it from cache so its fast.

In G2 i may take a different approach and read ahead in the list of videos and load the images into cache...again in the background but it should be done loading before you scroll a few items and then the rest would already be in the cache....at least thats the way it works in my mind

k