SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Any chance of possibly updating Tuner options?

Just wondering if anyone is working on the tuner code at the moment to allow Sage TV to work with newer TV Tuners.

I am no programmer in the language Sage TV was coded in but was just asking to see if anyone took on the task either officially or as a sort of pet project and wondered if they see this if they can maybe chime in and if more then one person is working on it , the others may not know and this way maybe this thread will bring them together to help out each other as well as give people an idea how many folks are looking at it since it definitely needs updated to fully work with many of the new tuners out now.

If I remember right , the last time this was brought up I believe no on at the moment wanted to wade through it or it used some code that was special to sage TV I thought and was put on the back burner or the to do list I think.

That said I wondered if anything changed since this was brought up last year in this thread https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tuners

Thanks for any updates as I am hoping this eventually gets updated but understand if it is too complicated due to the way tuners change over time.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:56 PM
SageTVaholic

EnterNoEscape has been doing a lot of work on SageDCT which does more than just tune Digital Cable Tuners. There is something called Generic Pipe which lets you "tune" other types of streams.

What other tuners do you have in mind when you say "newer TV Tuners". Most people believe that the HDHR is the way to go when it comes to TV tuners and Sage works perfectly well with them.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
EnterNoEscape has been doing a lot of work on SageDCT which does more than just tune Digital Cable Tuners. There is something called Generic Pipe which lets you "tune" other types of streams.

What other tuners do you have in mind when you say "newer TV Tuners". Most people believe that the HDHR is the way to go when it comes to TV tuners and Sage works perfectly well with them.

The newer tuners I was mentioning was the ones in the thread I linked to in my first post. Basically those Hauppage tuners that are newer that only show up half of the tuners when using them instead of people getting full use out of them.

I already was told about the HDHR option but already have too many boxes as it is in my small entertainment cabinet and would have to buy 3 HDHR's to actually have the same amount of tuners that the Hauppage tuners would equal if they were all updated and fully working.

Not just that but I would also have to buy more power strips as well as more switches and more cables to update to HDHR's and due to my being in an older house would probably also have to have the house rewired here to accommodate all the extra power needed to switch to HDHR's as well as I remember this being said previously is why I am asking if anyone is working on it since it's not so simple for some of us that have been using sage since they first found out about it.

Hence the reason I asked in case the tuner problem was being worked on by someone or someones as a pet project and hopefully they can come together to help each other out is why I asked as it has not been brought up for a while now due to people being told to use the HDHR option like you mentioned.

Currently I am using NextPVR at the moment to get full use of my tuner cards but it was a super hard choice to switch to it since I personally love Sage TV better in the way it can group my recordings and I am so used to it from using it so long I really do not want to totally rely on Nextpvr mainly due to liking Sage so much better for it's simplicity.

That said , I did tweet to hauppage asking them to maybe make some beta drivers for people like me that allows sage tv to make full use of all the tuners instead of only letting us use half and pointed them to the sage tv open source setup link I have subscribed too just in case like others here say that they somehow stopped using drivers that conform to a standard that sage was written for and yes I have wrote them too asking them if they changed their drivers somehow since sage was first using the old 500 tuners I used to use before everything went digital and they said the drivers were still using the same standards so it's not like I am totally relying on fixes from the great people working their butts off on sage tv open source as I am also trying my best in the mean time to reach out to hauppage when I can and get them to help us out over here to see if they can fix the problem as well when I can by asking them to look in to it and pointing them to the program so they maybe can check it out and see what is wrong on their end if they ever get tired of me bringing it up and actually do look in to it
Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
I already was told about the HDHR option but already have too many boxes as it is in my small entertainment cabinet and would have to buy 3 HDHR's to actually have the same amount of tuners that the Hauppage tuners would equal if they were all updated and fully working.

Not just that but I would also have to buy more power strips as well as more switches and more cables to update to HDHR's and due to my being in an older house would probably also have to have the house rewired here to accommodate all the extra power needed to switch to HDHR's as well as I remember this being said previously is why I am asking if anyone is working on it since it's not so simple for some of us that have been using sage since they first found out about it.
The HDHomeRun devices do not have to be near the server, they can be placed anywhere you have a network connection and coax connection. Also they pull very little power so I don't know why you think the house would need to be rewired due to "all the extra power needed". It has been awhile since I tested the power consumption on mine, but if I recall correctly it is somewhere between 3-7 watts per device. So 3 of them would pull less power than a typical lamp.

That said I understand why you would like to use your existing tuners.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
The HDHomeRun devices do not have to be near the server, they can be placed anywhere you have a network connection and coax connection. Also they pull very little power so I don't know why you think the house would need to be rewired due to "all the extra power needed". It has been awhile since I tested the power consumption on mine, but if I recall correctly it is somewhere between 3-7 watts per device. So 3 of them would pull less power than a typical lamp.

That said I understand why you would like to use your existing tuners.
Thanks for understanding and pointing that out as I appreciate it as buying 3 from silicondust directly would be 99 a piece not counting stuff like taxes and shipping which jumps up to over 300 probably and then buying the new switches as my current switch for my tv setup has only 5 outlets so I would have to buy at least an 8 outlet switch as well as more cables and still have the boxes all in my small cabinet that has no room for them since my internet router and dsl box is in the same room.

I have put thought in to it but space and such limit my options so hence that is why I was bringing it up again as I don't mind how long it takes, I just want to make sure eventually it gets looked at after everything that is being done is finally stable and not been updated for maybe a year or so from not finding any new bugs is all.

I believe if I remember right that there was mention of updating the tuner code way down the road when time permits and I am happy with that if my memory is correct but just wanted to sort of put out feelers so to speak to see if anyone was working on it in their off time and if they were , there may be more then one and hopefully bring them together to collaborate and help each other out in case there were people doing that now in private and not mentioning it.

Not sure if that makes sense but it did at the time I posted

I will keep checking in and helping when I can as Sage tv is great product and has a great community so I plan on sticking here and keep checking instead of totally switching to nextpvr unless maybe sage tv and nextpvrt get together and maybe make a hybrid love child type pvr program as both have their strengths and weaknesses