SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

Docker Questions

Looking at setting up SageTV on my new unRAID server.
Which Docker should I use:
* Basic HDHR and Hauppauge Colossus (HDMI) setup
1. crazifuzzy opendct
2. stuckless sagetv server java8

Is my hauppauge colossus going to work on Linux\Unraid? The Ryzen B350 board is not looking good when it comes to hardware pass-thru but it also does not look like there is a Linux driver for that card. Anyone using the the original Colossus on unRAID or even in Linux?

Also: Anyone have DirecTV HTTP tuning working on the Docker?

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know about your first question but your second question should be very doable as there is a generic tuner script that you can run in Linux for tuning channels.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

There are no drivers for the colossus on unraid (or really linux in general). I think only the HD-PVR 1212 is confirmed to work well with unRAID.

You use stuckless' docker. My openDCT docker is just that, it is a docker that hosts openDCT, and that is all (it doesn't contain SageTV).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
There are no drivers for the colossus on unraid (or really linux in general). I think only the HD-PVR 1212 is confirmed to work well with unRAID.
So, no linux drivers... is it best just to stick with the Windows version of SageTV for us Colossus users or is there some advantage to having Colossus+OpenDCT on a Windows VM and accessing it from Linux SageTV on a separate VM (if I'm understanding the suggestion on this thread correctly: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=64529)?

Setting up dual VMs for this purpose just sounds like a lot of extra work to me, but I suspect I'm missing something.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post
So, no linux drivers... is it best just to stick with the Windows version of SageTV for us Colossus users or is there some advantage to having Colossus+OpenDCT on a Windows VM and accessing it from Linux SageTV on a separate VM (if I'm understanding the suggestion on this thread correctly: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=64529)?

Setting up dual VMs for this purpose just sounds like a lot of extra work to me, but I suspect I'm missing something.
I would stick with Windows unless you use a lot extenders or Android mini clients and experience out of memory errors. The other reason would be if you like using UnRaid and Docker for other reasons. But if you really want to go with UnRaid and you want to use the Colossus, I think the only option is to use a second instance of Sage on Windows acting as a Network Tuner. That could be on a separate PC, or in a VM on the same PC as UnRaid. If it's in a VM, you have to pass through the Colossus card to the VM.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

The latter is what I'd recommend, the minimal windows VM running sage as a network encoder to serve the colossus up to the docker based sagetv.

Or just pick up a used 1212. might not be too terribly expensive.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The latter is what I'd recommend, the minimal windows VM running sage as a network encoder to serve the colossus up to the docker based sagetv.

Or just pick up a used 1212. might not be too terribly expensive.
Thanks to you and Tiki for the input!

I'm not using unRAID or really interested in switching since I'm pretty happy with the increased protection/space efficiency of using Drive Bender and FlexRAID together on my WHS2011 VM (plus it's already set up!), but I was willing to consider a linux/docker-based Sage to replace my Win8 Sage VM if there was a compelling reason to do it. Based on what you both have said, I'll probably just stick with the current arrangement since it'd be one less VM running and I'd need the Windows one either way.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

It is surprising that there aren't any Linux drivers for the Collossus as you would think MythTV folks would have wanted them.

Here is an old thread on the topic https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/490834#490834
Old 06-15-2017, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
It is surprising that there aren't any Linux drivers for the Collossus as you would think MythTV folks would have wanted them.

Here is an old thread on the topic https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/490834#490834
Based on the manufacturer involved, I'm not entirely surprised. The HDPVR is made primarily for gamers, not DVR's.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Based on the manufacturer involved, I'm not entirely surprised. The HDPVR is made primarily for gamers, not DVR's.
That's what I've been seeing. Not too surprisingly we, the DVR crowd, don't appear to make up a large portion of their sales. From what I know, the only reason the HD-PVR works in Linux isn't because Hauppauge did anything for us. It just happened to have a chipset that was already supported.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Was that the original plan or is that just where the market turned out to be after the product was released?

But isn't that market gone now as the latest generation game consoles have DVR functionality built in?

The HD-PVR is what brought me to SageTV as that was the only device that allowed you to DVR HD content here in Canada since we can't get CableCARDs. I was using Win MCE at the time but the HD-PVR wasn't supported in MCE for a long time so if I wanted my HTPC to be able to record HDTV I had to go to Sage. And I am glad I did.

But now it seems that the entire market for video encoders has gone away and Hauppauge is hurting badly. The stock trades at $0.11 and is down 90% over the last five years and down about 95%+ since the HD-PVR was released 9 years ago.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage Icon

I still have an HD-PVR but not sure how I feel about going back to component cable inputs. My DirecTV receiver does not even have optical out and I am guessing alternative inputs will become even less common in STBs.

Pass-thru is not an option on the current Ryzen box because the IOMMU grouping currently sucks. I could go to my older i5 server but the cpus are not really up to all the encoding I want to do.

Has anyone got something like the BM-3000 (H.264 HDMI Video Encoder for IPTV) working? I would think this kind of network capture would be the future.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Has anyone got something like the BM-3000 (H.264 HDMI Video Encoder for IPTV) working? I would think this kind of network capture would be the future.
Yes there are several people using these with the OpenDCT software. Search this forum and you should find a bunch of posts about it.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR