SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

MCE Remote Setup (V9 on Win 7 64 bit)

I am currently running Win 7 64 bit Pro on V9 (clean install) and want to hook up a remote. My old Vista 64-bit V7 box still exists, more or less. Below is what I own.
  • USB-UIRT (used with my old and gone Direct TV)
  • SMK-Link RXX6000 IR Receiver (3)
  • Gateway WMC (RC6) 43 button remote (came with SMK-Link RXX6000 IR Receiver)
  • Haupague WMC (RC6) 43 Button remote (came with SMK-Link RXX6000 IR Receiver)
  • A Harmony 300 IR Remote

I know there is a section in the settings for configuring a remote, including the 43 button device and Windows MCE devices.

Ultimately I would prefer to use the Harmony, as I currently use a Yamaha remote to control source selection and volume on the AV receiver.

When I plug in the SMK-Link RXX6000 it starts by finding an MCE Transceiver Emulator Device 2006 (i Think that's what it said), but ends up installing:
Code:
eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) => FAILED
Consumer IR Device => OK
The eHome Infrared Receiver has a yellow warning sign and the message says it will not start. No luck in finding a driver and the only post on this device seems to be a decade old with the same issue.

If I recall, the USB-UIRT was not straight forward (Button config?) to install.

There appear to be newer WMC remotes for short money, like this one or this USB dongle that I hope will be plug and play (as MCE).

Looking for some suggestions on approach, including links to devices known to work with Win7 and V9.
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client
Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 PM
Sage Icon

If you have a USBUIRT, you can use it as the IR receiver. It can be used with almost any remote (you just have to teach it).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I use the USB-UIRT do I need girder or can I use the SageTV commands to configure it directly in SageTV?

Does this generate a file with the commands that I can export\backup for reuse? I think I may reinstall SageTV on abetter HW and would like to reuse some of the more time consuming tasks.

Is a windows MCE remote just suppose to work (assuming the IR is recognized) after selecting in config?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Sage Expert

The Harmony remotes are easy to setup for Sage (well, as easy as setting up a Harmony for any other device). Sage's native IR control codes (as used by the HD100/HD200/HD300 extenders) are already present in the Harmony library. Choose manufacturer: SageTV, model: STP-HD200. Or choose model STX-HD100 (yes, that's STX), which includes a few more buttons. No learning needed, except for maybe one button.. can't remember which one.

My USB-UIRT has been rock-solid for the 2 years that it's been blasting IR codes to a couple of cable boxes. No first-hand experience with using it as a receiver, though.

BTW, if you're planning to use the remote with an HD100/200/300, avoid having Sage learn your non-Sage (or even MCE) IR codes. Although they'll work well enough when the HDx00 is connected to the Sage server, they're not in effect when the HDx00 is in standalone mode (i.e., booting or needing to be setup).
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

SMK-Link RXX6000 IR Receiver

I have read a lot of posts on various forums today about configuring this device and I actually found one that worked.

Open Device Manager and go to the USB eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)
Right Click => Properties
Driver Tab => Update Driver
Browse my computer for driver software
At the bottom select "Let me pick from a list of devices..."
Choose the second entry, followed by NEXT
This driver appears to install correctly
NOTE: Both drivers have the exact same name, but the second works.
I have:
CRCoinst.dll - 6.1.7600.16835
usbcir.sys - 6.1.7601.18208

The Gateway RC6 works by choosing the MCE remote under commands.

There are some issues, the big one being some of the buttons start Windows Media Center. I have disabled the "Evil Twins" in Programs and features, but expect to want to re-purpose the buttons.

Can this be done directly with commands or do I need LMGestion?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

@justfred

Thanks for the info. Not gotten that far as yet.

If I am using the MCE Remote as opposed to USB-UIRT will the Harmony still work?

I am not using any extenders, but just using the Windows GUi. Is there an option for that or will I just need to try the various HDx00's?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
@justfred

Thanks for the info. Not gotten that far as yet.

If I am using the MCE Remote as opposed to USB-UIRT will the Harmony still work?
If you want to simultaneously use an MCE remote and the Harmony remote, then configure the Sage Client for "MCE Remote", and configure the Harmony for a Media Center device.

USB-UIRT is an IR blaster and/or receiver. The Harmony remote will "just work" with any IR receiver that Sage recognizes. (See pg 275 of the Sage7 User's Guide.)

Of course, the device codes that the Harmony burps out will need to match the codes that the Sage Client is listening for, e.g. If Sage is configured to recognize MCE codes ("MCE Remote"), then program the Harmony for a Media Center device (it's in the Harmony's library, too). Or if Sage is expecting "Hauppauge 45 Button Remote", then setup the Harmony for a Hauppauge video capture device that works with the 45-button remote (such as the Hauppauge HD-PVR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I am not using any extenders, but just using the Windows GUi. Is there an option for that or will I just need to try the various HDx00's?
For this environment, I'm *guessing* that it might be easiest to config the Harmony for HD-PVR (because I know HD-PVR is in the Harmony's library), and then setup the Sage Client for "Hauppauge 34 Button Remote".

Haven't had any experience with Sage Client's "USB-UIRT Receiver + Any Remote" option, so can't offer any assistance there.

Try searching this forum, preferably using Google (append 'site:sagetv.com', without quotes, to your search terms).
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 08-14-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add config for simultaneous use of 2 remotes
Old 08-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Logitech 300

Well I have the remote configured. I was able to find the SageTV set top boxes, but not able to find a suitable entry for the client. The current Logitech does not contain dropdowns, only fill ins, so it makes finding some less common devices hard.

I ended up using Microsoft as the manufacturer and "MCE Remote" as the device, which was not found. (It wants to configure the IR Reciever and does not care about the remote => RC6) It pushed me down the learning route, which only required 3 key validations. There were a number of unassigned buttons and I needed to add new commands for "Return" and "Menu". I then assigned the unused buttons, though some I chose to duplicate for convenience.

The remote supports 5 favorite channels, which can be assigned any command. I could not assign channels as most of mine have been remapped and have decimals, but I also think need a Enter Enter to accept. No biggie.

The learned remote had some of what I assume were MCE commands for My Music, My Videos, My Pictures which do work (surprise surprise)!

I would however like to know if there is a way to map direct to some other menu items (MyTV, Scheduled Recordings, etc) which need a couple of clicks at the moment

Thanks for the direction.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I am not sure if I am looking for the same as others but here goes:

I hsave SageTV client on a PC running Windows 10 Home. The PC has an IR receiver - I think it is a MCE compatible IR receiver but I can't find the details in Device Manager. I want to control it using a Harmony remote.

What is the best setup? Tell Harmony that I am using an MCE remote? That is what I have by default but I am not sure how to setup and remap keys like SkipFwdx2 which I want setup as a long press on the >> key. And there doesn't seem to be a key mapped for the SageTV Main Menu - what should I map for that?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am not sure if I am looking for the same as others but here goes:

I hsave SageTV client on a PC running Windows 10 Home. The PC has an IR receiver - I think it is a MCE compatible IR receiver but I can't find the details in Device Manager. I want to control it using a Harmony remote.

What is the best setup? Tell Harmony that I am using an MCE remote? That is what I have by default but I am not sure how to setup and remap keys like SkipFwdx2 which I want setup as a long press on the >> key. And there doesn't seem to be a key mapped for the SageTV Main Menu - what should I map for that?
It's been a while since I've run a client, but you can 1) map button presses to commands in SageTV detailed setup, (just pick some available command for e.g. long-press >>), and/or 2) map things like long-press >> to the equivalent keyboard command (see SageTV manual).

The HOME key goes to the main menu.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a Cyberlink Windows Media Center (I assume) remote with USB dongle to connect to the PC. Since I'm using Sage 64, the USBUIRT will only work as a transmitter (which is essential to my use) OR a receiver - not both.

So I set Sage to use a WMC remote, which mostly works. I can't seem to map the extra buttons on the remote to Sage commands. I go through the dialog, press the remote button, but nothing happens. Any way to get Sage to recognize extra button commands? For example if I used Lrnhelper to capture codes, is there a place in the properties file to enter them - or any other way? I frequently, for example, want to quickly toggle between full-screen and window. On my former system, with Sage32 and a Hauppauge remote via USBUIRT, I was able to map a button to this function.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

One of my systems is setup with a Harmony One remote, a USB-UIRT, and windows 10 x64.

I run the UIRT as a receiver.

Sage is set to use an MCE remote and the Harmony is configured to behave like an MCE remote.

I use an old program called LM Remote Keymap to bridge the gap on additional functions that I want. It has alot of ability to script behaviours and change what buttons are received to what they actually do in Windows based on the currently active program. Might be worth checking out. It's an old app and the developer has stopped updating it which is unfortunate, but it still works. If you can't find it for download send me a pm, I should have a copy of it floating around somewhere.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. I set it up and tried with a computer that has Sage but not the one with the USBUIRT (which is in a room where someone is asleep at the moment). No luck. It doesn't seem to know about my particular remote, which mostly acts like an MCE but isn't one on their list. I tried selecting various options but nothing was working. I tried to map the red or blue buttons to the keystrokes control-shift-F (full screen in Sage), but Sage didn't respond accordingly. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong ( or if I need the USBUIRT in place, even if it's not set up as a receiver), or if my particular remote just isn't supported.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

You would need an IR signal receiver such as the USB-UIRT connected to the PC otherwise there is no way for the PC to process the signal from the remote.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
You would need an IR signal receiver such as the USB-UIRT connected to the PC otherwise there is no way for the PC to process the signal from the remote.
I have the USB dongle that comes with the remote; LrnHelper reports scan codes it receives that way. If I note values seen in LrnHelper is there a way to tell Sage about them? Sage doesn't see anything when I just point the remote at its receiver (or at the USB-UIRT) and press a button.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

If LM Remote Keymap is seeing the remote key presses, then you would want to setup mappings in LMK.

If you push the blue button on your remote, setup LMK to do a standard windows keystroke like CTRL + V. Then in Sage, ensure that CTRL + V is mapped to the function you want.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If LM Remote Keymap is seeing the remote key presses, then you would want to setup mappings in LMK.

If you push the blue button on your remote, setup LMK to do a standard windows keystroke like CTRL + V. Then in Sage, ensure that CTRL + V is mapped to the function you want.
That's what I tried, but it didn't work. I may be having some success, though, with getting USBUIRT working by leaving service mode (see linked thread below):

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66602

Everything seems to work, except getting the Android miniclient to connect using locator id. My desktop placeshifter and Android miniclient when connecting via LAN are fine, but when I try the locator ID method, I can't get it to accept the password. So I tried putting service mode back on, just to check whether that had anything to do with it, and still had the problem.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
That's what I tried, but it didn't work. I may be having some success, though, with getting USBUIRT working by leaving service mode (see linked thread below):

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66602

Everything seems to work, except getting the Android miniclient to connect using locator id. My desktop placeshifter and Android miniclient when connecting via LAN are fine, but when I try the locator ID method, I can't get it to accept the password. So I tried putting service mode back on, just to check whether that had anything to do with it, and still had the problem.
Well, this sounds like a completely separate issue from the remote mapping issue.

The place shifter issue sounds like you don't have the appropriate ports open on your router for the connection to pass through to your Sage instance. I personally don't do this, so I don't know offhand which ports are required. I do everything over a VPN connection into my network and leave very little exposed to the open internet.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Well, this sounds like a completely separate issue from the remote mapping issue.

The place shifter issue sounds like you don't have the appropriate ports open on your router for the connection to pass through to your Sage instance. I personally don't do this, so I don't know offhand which ports are required. I do everything over a VPN connection into my network and leave very little exposed to the open internet.
I've checked and tweaked the ports, so it doesn't use the same port as the old server. Maybe I need to find a different thread/forum area to troubshoot this. It seems to be something about Windows 8.1 because I just discovered I have the same problem in a "backup" server I recently set up on another Windows 8.1 box (although I didn't poke at its port forwards).