SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Docker Containers updated to 1.0.4

This builds on the 1.0.3 containers, in that Java 7 is removed and Java 9 was added and comskip was updated.

But in addition to that...

1. There is a Java 10 Container

2. The base ubuntu image was updated

If you are running the Java8 container and you want to switch to the Java 10 container, it's pretty easy. Just stop the container, and then edit the configuration. The repository will show something like, stuckless/sagetv-server-java8, and just change the 8 to a 9 or 10 and save. unRAID will pull the new container with Java 10. Once it's done, just start it up.

Java 10 is "supposed" to be Docker aware, but not 100% what that means for this container, but, it shouldn't hurt.

This container also fixes the bug in 1.0.3 (java 9) where BMT would fail to work find metadata. It should work in all Java versions now.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Trying the Java 9 container - I am still getting the "No Results" error when finding TV metadata in BMT using the Find Metadata option in the Browse section.
The Movie metadata is working but not the TV search.
Any ideas on how I can help with this?

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
Trying the Java 9 container - I am still getting the "No Results" error when finding TV metadata in BMT using the Find Metadata option in the Browse section.
The Movie metadata is working but not the TV search.
Any ideas on how I can help with this?

Dwight
My guess is that because you had to Java 9 container before, then when you changed it to Java 9 again, it just used the "old" container intance. You can try to see if Update works to update the container, or switch to the Java 10 container.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Will I have troubles with the epguide and Java 10!?
I am using the Schedules Direct guide now too.
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
Old 03-24-2018, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
Will I have troubles with the epguide and Java 10!?
I am using the Schedules Direct guide now too.
It should all be good... I'm running Java 10 on my home system. I fixed the epg issues in the container. But if you run into issues... you can always revert back to Java 8.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

@sean - I haven't updated the docker in about a year.

If I just click update on the Docker page of unRAID then this will update to the latest version but still using Java 8 because it is using the "stuckless/sagetv-server-java8" repository correct?

So then to switch to Java 10 I would click edit and change the repository name to "stuckless/sagetv-server-java10", correct?

How do I even know what version of the docker container that I am running? I don't see anything listed in the log.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If I just click update on the Docker page of unRAID then this will update to the latest version but still using Java 8 because it is using the "stuckless/sagetv-server-java8" repository correct?
yes

Quote:
So then to switch to Java 10 I would click edit and change the repository name to "stuckless/sagetv-server-java10", correct?
yes

Quote:
How do I even know what version of the docker container that I am running? I don't see anything listed in the log.
In the docker logs (ie, right click -> logs) it will show...
Quote:
SageTV unRAID/Docker (Container Version: 1.0.4) is running
If it doesn't show that then you are likely running a really old docker container before I added the message
Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My guess is that because you had to Java 9 container before, then when you changed it to Java 9 again, it just used the "old" container intance. You can try to see if Update works to update the container, or switch to the Java 10 container.
Yup - forced an update and it appears to be fine on the Java 9 with BMT now - thanks again for all your work Sean - I probably would have to have abandoned SageTV if it wasn't for your efforts!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I updated from the Java 8 to 10 version and my Placeshifter login screen is now all garbled. Not sure what has happened.
Attached Images
File Type: png SagTV-Java10-Placeshifter-Login.png (164.4 KB, 323 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

That looks like it is written in Klingon!

Did you roll back to Java 8 or 9 and get back up and running?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That looks like it is written in Klingon!

Did you roll back to Java 8 or 9 and get back up and running?
I just tried to roll back to Java 8 but apparently that made my unRAID crap out somehow. Currently connected through my router's VPN on my phone. Web UI is unresponsive and SSH connection is frozen after showing the Linux kernel version.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I just tried to roll back to Java 8 but apparently that made my unRAID crap out somehow. Currently connected through my router's VPN on my phone. Web UI is unresponsive and SSH connection is frozen after showing the Linux kernel version.
so unRAID is unresponsive, or the SageTV Docker container is un responsive?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
so unRAID is unresponsive, or the SageTV Docker container is un responsive?
unRAID is completely unresponsive. SSH isn't even connecting any more.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
unRAID is completely unresponsive. SSH isn't even connecting any more.
That's not good. The only thing that I can think that might have resulted in the screenshot that you provided is that Java 10 is using OpenJDK, since I don't see any actual "oracle" releases. But beyond that I can't think of what could cause that. I'm running Java 10 at home... but I don't use the placeshifter (or have it setup) so I can't really see what happens. I'll try to troubleshoot though.

As for the complete hardware lockup... that's never good.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As for the complete hardware lockup... that's never good.
Yeah, I'm a little frustrated. Since I'm at work I'm not really sure what's going on. I was running HandBrake at the time but not sure that caused it since it was running when I switched to the Java 10 version.

Hopefully I'll be able to reboot from the local console when I get home. Otherwise I'm in for another parity verification.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am running Docker / SageTV Java 8 on my QNAP NAS.

I currently have JRE 8 installed on my QNAP. I also have stuckless/sagetv-server-java8 "latest" installed, but it appears to be v1.02 based on the startup logs.

Does anybody know how to update my current container on QNAP?

Also, when I did a search for stuckless/sagetv-server-java10 on Docker, I didn't find anything.

Thanks,

AzJazz

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300
Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been rock solid stable on my unraid setup running unraid 6.3.5 and SageTV container 1.0.2. As SageTV is a mission critical appliance in my family, I'm reluctant to go against the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't break it!".

But so... was wondering a few things:
  1. is there some kind of release note for what fixes or features are included in the newer Sage TV docker containers? I have no idea what I'm getting if I go from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4. I'm sure this doc is out there somewhere, but I can't find it.
  2. has upgrading the SageTV docker been an easy and clean process for most?
  3. has anyone upgraded easily and cleanly to the new version of unraid 6.5 and this upgraded OS is working well with SageTV?
  4. if you want to roll back a docker update or an OS update, can you even do that? I've updated dockers before, and have never seen an option to go back...

I honestly have no strong reason to update any of my dockers or the unraid OS at this point, and so I'm trying to see if there are any good reasons to upgrade, given unraid pesters me weekly about how out of date all my software is...

Server hardware: i7-7700@3.6GHz, ASUSTek Prime H270 Pro, R5 case, 32GB, 2x250GB M.2 SSD cache (raid1), 12TB pool, HDHR Dual Tuner, HDHR Extend, CM 4221/7778
Server software: unRAID 6.9.2, SageTV v9, SageMC (high WAF), SD EPG, dockers (SageTV, Plex, Emby, Unifi Controller, Sonarr, OpenVPN, DelugeVPN, Logitech Media Center, etc.), VMs
Clients: 3 x HD300, Placeshifters, 4 x FireStick4K+Android Miniclient, iOS devices+Plex

Last edited by glenner; 03-26-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I have upadted unRAID to 6.4.1 and that was painless. There are a bunch of improvments in that upgrade. There have been issues withsome for upgrading to 6.5 - see the thread from stuckless on this.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzJazz View Post
I am running Docker / SageTV Java 8 on my QNAP NAS.
how did you install the docker sagetv to begin with? I suspect the upgrade process would be similar. As for the finding it... not sure why the search didn't work, but it is there

https://hub.docker.com/r/stuckless/sagetv-server-java8/
https://hub.docker.com/r/stuckless/sagetv-server-java9/
https://hub.docker.com/r/stuckless/s...server-java10/

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenner View Post
I've been rock solid stable on my unraid setup running unraid 6.3.5 and SageTV container 1.0.2. As SageTV is a mission critical appliance in my family, I'm reluctant to go against the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't break it!".

But so... was wondering a few things:
  1. is there some kind of release note for what fixes or features are included in the newer Sage TV docker containers? I have no idea what I'm getting if I go from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4. I'm sure this doc is out there somewhere, but I can't find it.
  2. has upgrading the SageTV docker been an easy and clean process for most?
  3. has anyone upgraded easily and cleanly to the new version of unraid 6.5 and this upgraded OS is working well with SageTV?
  4. if you want to roll back a docker update or an OS update, can you even do that? I've updated dockers before, and have never seen an option to go back...

I honestly have no strong reason to update any of my dockers or the unraid OS at this point, and so I'm trying to see if there are any good reasons to upgrade, given unraid pesters me weekly about how out of date all my software is...
Quote:
I have upadted unRAID to 6.4.1 and that was painless. There are a bunch of improvments in that upgrade. There have been issues withsome for upgrading to 6.5 - see the thread from stuckless on this.
From 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 there isn't a lot. New java versions and an updated comskip is really the container differences. So unless you want to move to Java 9 or 10, you likely don't need to update. But if you did, then downgrading is pretty easy, just see the notes in the first post.

As for unRAID... if that upgrade doesn't go so well, then it's very hard to back it out. I had no issues going 6.3 to 6.4, but I had issues going from 6.4 to 6.5. Other people have been fine.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

After having to do a hard reboot last night and going through a parity check I'm back on Java 8. Just tried Placeshifter from work and the login screen looks normal again.