SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

Android Mini Client & DTS Audio?

Hello,

I finally retired my HD200 and now I'm primarily using HD300s - especially in all locations that we watch MKVs.

Because the HD200 couldn't decode DTS audio I started creating a DD 5.1 track from the DTS track and adding it as the first audio source for all my MKV files. It is a process that works very well and I don't have any complaints other than it adds an extra size to each MKV.

Since I'm no longer using the HD200 does it make sense to stop adding the DD track and even go back and remove the old DD tracks from my movie library?

I am trying to think ahead and with the current Android TV hardware is DTS well supported? I recognize that when 4k becomes the standard I'm going to have to stop using the HD300s at some point and I just want to make sure I'm future proofing myself.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 03-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

I personally add DD as the second audio track and leave the "best" as first. Things hooked up to an AVR I set to bitstream the audio. The mini-client has that option if you use ExoPlayer. But I can also do things like put the movie file on a device that doesn't decode DTS like my tablet and it will play fine using the DD track. The extra audio track doesn't really add that much more to the overall file size and I think worth it for flexibility.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I personally add DD as the second audio track and leave the "best" as first.
That is good advice.

After thinking it through more I plan to leave my process as is, with the DD track first. I just realized that the sound bar I purchased but haven't hooked up yet, a Sonos Playbar, doesn't support DTS, only DD 5.1. So I guess I'm stuck with DD 5.1 for a while.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s